How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Create Team from existing SharePoint site, and other requests

#1 User Request on SharePoint:
Enable integration of Microsoft Teams to an existing SharePoint site rather than to always create a new site collection

There have been a few ideas raised on integrating lists, OneNote, document libraries, etc. from an existing SharePoint site with Microsoft Teams, but in summary, it will be best if we could create a team upon on existing site, so that the "Files" and "Notes" tabs would directly reference the existing document library and OneNote in SharePoint. It does not make sense to have two separate sites: one for all the usual SharePoint stuff, and another just for Microsoft Teams.

#2: Link to Existing SharePoint Sites

Trying to link my Team up to an existing SharePoint site - only seem to be able to link to individual folders rather than the whole document library, meaning that if i want all folders on the Team i need to create multiple tabs to get this. Would be good to link to a whole document library rather than one folder.

#3: Other Asks

Post Team chat to SP microfeed
Connect team sites onenote if available (replace default notes)
Add links to existing document libraries (replace default files)
Add links to existing lists
Add support for SharePoint taxonomy and managed metadata, SharePoint views etc :D

3,099 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Isaac Chua shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

283 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Steven Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it would be fantastic to have Team Site be associate with a SharePoint Site, not a SharePoint Site Collection.

• Oscar Polanco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know It's possible to add a SharePoint tab, but this feature enables two team sites. I'd like to have just one Team Site where I can work with MS Teams and apps in the same Team Site.

• Frederik Devreese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding documents to a team: when editing the document (online), you end up in Sharepoint. So why is this 'teamsite' not visible/reachable via Sharepoint Admin Center - Sitecollection ??

• Yahya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must. I also need to have the ability to discuss (via conversation) an individual Item list from within Teams

• Yana Berkovich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding the lists as a tab just like a doclib and being able to view the items and rate them will add the ability for a decision making based on votes in the team.

• Jani 'Jassi' Hyytiäinen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely ability to add a sharepoint list with custom content types is a must. Having people entering data through an Excel tab and then figuring out how to get that into a list. I mean you can always get an Excel out of a list if you really want to work with Excel.

• Iwan Bijmholt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the others. This suggestion is not completed. Add an existing library as a tab is something different then the possibility to choose an existing site when creating a team

• Mihkel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

embedding Teams chat to Sharepoint as a webpart would be definatelly a great improvement! :)

• Duncan Drury commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can add a Sharepoint library to the tabs, but not an existing Site. Many people have invested many YEARS developing existing sites in Sharepoint - they are more than just folders in a file system. Teams is great, but don't expect people to start from scratch when there is existing rich content. Allow us to add teams to existing Sharepoint *sites*, or even just a tab that opens an existing site allowing a quick way to reach existing content.

• Krsto Savic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently there is only possibility to add SharePoint document libraries as tabs. Consider adding sharepoint wiki pages, lists and calendars as tabs.

• JohnTM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be as simple as adding a link to an existing Sharepoint document - it doesn't need to be in a Tab or whatever.

I get the impression that Teams, despite the links to other products, is seen as a standalone product.

How it should work: a new Channel is set up to complete a new coding Document Project/Task. Apart from identifying the team, this would involve completion of various setup docs and forms (e.g. budget, quote, approval, functional specification, technical design, etc.). These are already completed stored in Sharepoint and should not be copied into Teams. Instead, a link to a folder and/or links to individual documents hould be included in the conversation.

• JohnTM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Upload/attach icon in the Conversation window should allow a link to an existing Sharepoint document.

We encourage our users to place customer/project documents in defined folders within Sharepoint. Sharing of documents is always done by sharing a link to the document in the defined Sharepoint folder. This ensures that all users refer to the master version of a document and not an out of date copy.

Creating a copy of a document in each channel to which it is uploaded is valid in certain circumstances but will also lead to document sprawl.

• Yusuf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In teams i should be able to discuss Files in Document Libraries other than the default doc library.

• Daniel Schell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Connect team sites onenote if available" is key. Embedding an existing project OneNote located in an existing sharepoint project is highly requested

• Rick de Vries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Post Team chat to SP microfeed." I'd rather **embed** the Teams chat feed than integrate it with an old microfeed from SharePoint. It would be the perfect successor to add a feed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.