left navigation: make it collapsible

make the left-hand navigation collapsible

982 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

joe brockhaus (rax) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

140 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • KyleF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to collapse the sidebar because I assumed I'd be able to. I figured I was just missing a preference setting somewhere. It's very surprising this isn't a feature.

• morgan howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'm curious as to why this went from planned to declined. it'd be nice to get some insight into that decision

• CarolS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE provide this. It is the single thing my company's users complain about when asked why the are not adopting Teams. So simple, and would make adoption SO much easier

• Jake Meisenbach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is horrible about the current design is that after you select a section from the condensed menu an extended menu opens and stays open until you physically click somewhere else in the app other than the menu. What should happen is that when you select something from the menu it should automatically disappear, or, it should disappear if the mouse moves off the menu, like every other menu bar on the internets. Why the extra click Microsoft!? This reminds me of the Ribbon rollout... Please Microsoft, go hire a CX expert to sit with your developers!

• Haroon Haider commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely requirement for us, as we are trying to roll out Teams across our company (80 employees) and the real estate taken up by the navigation bar is a little too much.

• Molly Barley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE provide a UI which I can collapse, expand, resize and move around. Most of my time is spent on a small laptop screen. Most of the time I need to be able to look at several different things at the same time. It seems that all the recent UIs created by Microsoft are screen hogs which interfere with my productivity and effectiveness because the interface gets in the way of my work.
    I want a world where Microsoft applications are beloved by users! I am weary for defending MSoft against those who criticize its space-hogging UI, memory-hogging OS and practices that require users to give up their privacy to use its applications.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So basic, so annoying ...
    Was under develpment in august 2018, what happened ?!

• Callan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know this was declined months ago, but I'd still really like this feature to be introduced.
    When using teams as a chat/messaging/sharing platform, the bar is OK, but I've been adding PowerBI and Azure DevOps apps into Teams and now cannot stand having 25% of my real-estate taken up by a sidebar I don't need 98% of the time.

Please bring this feature in, it would be great as our global company embraces Teams (70,000+ employee's)

• James Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be a simple UX improvement that gives users choice, especially when presenting on small screens.

yeah, why was this declined? seems like a simple idea to save precious screen realestate...

• Norma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Teams-Team,
    would you be so kind to comment the decline of this request?
    4 months later and the issue is still existant.
    thanks!

Collapsible panes are a pretty standard UX design feature. I would love to see it available in TEAMS.

• Tessa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the biggest deterrent from using MS Teams. If not able to close it, then as Tate suggest, at least adjusted. 895 users requesting this are only the ones who HAVE to use it as a business mandate and bother to poke you for a fix.

• Tate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least let the sidebar be adjusted. It takes up too much space when viewing Power BI reports or other pinned apps in channel tabs.

Declined with no comment? This is a feature asked for constantly by my colleagues.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base