How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Allow syncing of team files with OneDrive Sync Client

I have an Office 365 Group Created and syncing with OneDrive Sync Client. I added team features to the group. When I create a new channel in my team, a new folder is created in the group files. However, this folder is locked (and shows lock in the sync icon) so I don't have permission to work with any synced files.

300 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben Stegink shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Daniel Lapp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could be awesome if you could initate the sync with OneDrive Business directly from Teams otherwise you have to do it from SharePoint.

• George Hanus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi I am following up on this feature. It is demonstrated in the Team Flipbook which embeds a YouTube video Ignite demo. See at the 20:59 min mark, https://youtu.be/v1d80KUlXFs?t=1259

This was created last October 2018, its not May 2019. Is there any update on these features being rolled out?
    I am introducing this to companies who are transferring many folder sets over to their SharePoint, the present syncing routine s ok for a few, but when you have a LOT of projects / Teams to deploy, doing it right within Teams just makes sense rather than connecting to SharePoint for each Team, then syncing. A few extra steps times a LOT, for every employee is costly. It seems its one of the few things that are left out that would tie this together nicely.
    Thank you

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the 'synchronize locally' option needs to be right in the files view in teams and Teams should be smart enough that, through its interface, I can click on the file in Teams and it will open the local version and then do all necessary synchronizing in the background. The end user shouldn't have to know anything about OneDrive, SharePoint, etc. to make this all happen withing Teams. OneDrive and SharePoint can be the tools used to do it, behind the scenes, but the end user experience needs to be within Teams.

It's possible from SharePoint. I think a better view similar to SharePoint is coming to Teams soon.

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, if a user wants to synchronize files locally from a team with OneDrive client, we have to :

1. Open the desired file library in Teams,
    2. Click "Open in SharePoint"
    3. Login in the browser
    4. Click "Synchronize"

We would like to have that "Synchronize" link in TEAMS and not have to go to SharePoint. This would simplify the instructions to users … In my organisation, they all work directly in Teams which is not ideal !

How do I remove the synced folder in C drive. It is just taking too much space and would like to remove them. When I click delete it says the file is in use and not able to delete. I still want all the files to be accessible in TEAMS sharepoint site. Just want to remove them from my C disk. Thanks for any pointers

Created team from a group: Opened "files" "in sharepoint" online and synced it locally. I tried dropping files in; they all created sync conflicts. I removed them, then later looked online and the files were in Teams and Sharepoint online, the local directory was empty. An hour later the "general" folder showed up in Group site. Locally it was empty, online it showed the files I'd dropped in earlier.

Must have feature - makes inplementing o365 way easier to organizations that have zero Sharepoint experience. Than the users just have to learn onedrive and Teams.

• SjoerdV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, this has been 'under review' a long time ... Please make the OD4B sync client just work as it should with Teams. Or make Teams just play by the rules and use SharePoint as it was designed ;-)

• GoLo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like in the SharePoint web page, I'd like to see a simple 'Sync' button in the row that already includes New, Upload, Get Link, Open in SharePoint, Add cloud storage.

If it were really polished, there would be a pop up for users on their first visit to the Files tab offering this (and maybe a link to install the modern ODB client?).

• Julian Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The SharePoint sync via the "new" ODfB client seems as flaky as the old client. Caused us lots of problems with a Groups site including significant data loss. It got so bad that we had to stop using the Group site altogether and switched instead to a standard SharePoint site which seems to have fewer problems though sync is still unreliable except for ODfB itself.

• JR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can there be a dedicated Sync to OneDrive button. A Sync to Local may also be useful for some.

• Nils commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence- but this workaround stopped working less than 48h after posting here! The files don't synchronize any longer and when I try to synchronize the library again I get the error message that the OneDrive for Business app is outdated and can't sync any longer. If this is indeed a "fix" from a programmer I'd be very disappointed in the MS Teams team.

I did find a way to sync the documents to Windows that works without the restrictions mentioned above:

1. Open the desired file library in Teams, click "open in SharePoint"
    2. Copy the URL to the SharePoint library (don't click "synchronize")
    3. right click on OneDrive for Business - "Synchronize new library"
    4. enter URL to the library
    5. This should create a SharePoint link in Windows Explorer that works

This is a must-have functionality; many of my colleagues are only slowly getting used to using Teams and are rather fond of the folders on their desktop. Being able to sync files not only via the UI of Teams but also the "classic" way would help quite a bit in driving user adoption.

• Jason Mayde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ive seen a work around with this on a PC by visiting the Sharepoint site and clicking the Sync button. It is difficult to find. If this can be available directly on the OneDrive client and also be available on the Mac, that would be a game changing feature.

• Cédric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a button in the desktop client to sync Teams files !
    Sync is working but you have to go to SharePoint to enable it, it should be super easy within Teams !

• David McKnight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems counter intuitive, but I was able to sync files:

1) I created the Team, and loaded some files into the General channel.
    2) Creating the Team, created an Office 365 Group of the same name.
    3) I jumped over to the Outlook Web App, and opened the Group. From within the Group, I selected the "Files" tab. I see the files I loaded into the General channel.
    4) I can now either select the "Site" tab from within the Group, and that jumps me over to SharePoint, where I can view the files and select "Sync."
    5) Or still from within the Group, and in the "Files" tab, I can select "Browse Library," which does exactly the same thing as selecting the "Site" tab, jumping me over to SharePoint, where I can view the files and select "Sync."

I don't know what is causing the group files folder appear to be locked for @BenStegink. I'm an admin, so that may be why it's not an issue for me.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.