How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support hashtags in channels and DMs

Allow clickable links on #hashtagged items ... in a channel or group, perform a search within that group.

For DMs and conversations, search all of your conversations

2,734 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sean McHugh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

138 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tags are a MUST for us.
        We want to migrate from Synology Chat and that has the tagging feature. We use it a lot.

For Teams to replace email this is essential. Users need to be able to tag/triage the torrent of information to call on later otherwise "Teams" and conversation channels proliferate to accomplish the same.

At this point between lack of tag support and channel specific permissions Microsoft is practically shouting that they don't want to compete with Slack, Stride, etc.

Having the ability to tag items within Teams would be a valuable business knowledge resource. If this is possible and I am wrong, please let me know. The only way I've figure out to do this is to set up an email address for a Teams channel, view it in Sharepoint and add a Tag column using the Sharepoint properties engine.

The grand irony on this very page is that there is a menu bar of ideas under the category Public: Messaging that enables quick review and navigation to items that may be of interest. Example: Teams and Channels with 1022 comments. Why can't this engine be embedded in Teams? I note that the Start a new conversation window in Teams has several selections below, few of which (only attach file and meet now) are practical business choices. I would suggest the social networking bits are not valuable (emoji, giphy, stickers) and be replaced with Tags, Votes, Priority/Importance tools. C'mon Microsoft play to the business crowd with Office 365 and let the social networkers use Twitter, Instagram and all the other sites on everyone's mobile to do that. Certainly 2646 votes on this UserVoice thread should warrant some action.

• David GROSPELIER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, it could be great to filter a conversation to remove particular hashtags, for example #joke tag to remove "non serious" messages.

Wishlist:
        1. set (email) alerts if a specific hashtag is used.
        2. Clickable link to show all convos with hashtag
        3. Same term store as SharePoint - even better!

• RvdNiet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you also could set (email) alerts if a specific hashtag is used, that would be nice.
        Some people do not want to follow the daily conversations in a channel, but if there is an issue that is to their intrest they would know about it.

• Drew Knox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to tag (or categorize or label) should be a key feature of the product . As we have different media sources (conversations, SharePoint, chat, etc.) having a consistent tag format within teams that could be searched would make the tool a better collaboration tool.

• ColmC.ie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm thinking that hashtags could be used to retrieve conversations, chats and replies via search within Teams. ideally there would be some auto-suggestion so that there is some standardisation between the tags used by end-users.

Not sure about how the "clickable" tags feature would work .
        Are people suggesting that when I click a hashtag in the conversation pane that the pane immediately to the left is populated with all posts that include the hashtag? That could be nice to have.

• Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tagging is a practice used in many competing tools. As we have staff trying MS Teams, this question ("How is tagging supported?") is frequently asked.

This has been on the backlog since November 2016 so I guess MS don't consider this request to be very important. I am now unfortunately having to use this product, rather than a mature product such as Slack

• Tammy Schwark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As with the others - this would be great! For now I'm adding hashtags for certain conversations, etc. - for when this becomes available! Can't click on a hashtag but for now can at least search on it....for example I do tips for the users - they can search on #TeamsTip

Hashtags or any form of tag to see a thread/project/idea viewed in aggregate, no matter which channel it was posted in. Ideas don't naturally stick in one channel especially across design/marketing/large projects

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base