How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Collapse/expand conversations (hide/show replies)

Users are asking for a few different things:

1. Collapse/expend all button -- single click to collapse or expand all threads
2. Admin setting for collapse/expand
3. Button to re-collapse a thread once its been expanded (right now you have to navigate to another channel in order for the thread to re-collapse)

Please add more granular requests in the thread below.

452 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Carlos Carvallo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Henk Thomassen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Expand/collapse may also help for people to reply to the right discussion (right now people often use the text box at the bottom of the screen to reply to the last discussion, not realizing that they are starting a new discussion). Collapse to subject will only work well if subject field is presented more prominently (not just after expanding the compose box, there are other suggestions on this). A discussion should be a more concrete 'object' in the channel, including options to manage it (delete the whole discussion, move the discussion to another channel or even to another team).

• Ulf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed, this can be confusing if it happens for unread messages.

• Karthik S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First... this is not a stupid thing. I think it is essential so that long conversations don't make you scroll like crazy. Please use the search feature.

Regarding the 'hiding', I think you can make the hiding more obvious by drawing a BOLD outline to the non-hidden messages and a dotted outline to indicate a continuation of the conversation.

• Joongi Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have conversations longer than 100 messages often. When expanding or collapsing them causes the width of grouped messages (a post) changes to fit with the maximum width content of the visible messages. This causes the rendering engine to redo the whole layout and painting process. Also clicking the reply area changes the layout (the reply box gets bigger) and makes the UI slow.

I think we need to minimize re-layout and repainting as much as possible to get smooth and responsive UI. It would be better to fix the post/message widths to the width of conversation view. I hope next "compact professional UI" refresh resolve this issue as well.

• Carmelo Migliore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    This is especially useful when the conversations have a subject. It would be very valuable to be able to browse the many threads of a channel. See what twist app just released (https://twistapp.com/).

Keeping the information clean and tidy is key for my team.

Additionally, conversations subjects should appear in search results.

• peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop collapsing all the conversations. it is a pain ********** when you are looking for that one file two weeks ago. or give setting option

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Provide the ability to collapse all the teams listed within your Favorites with one click.

Currently I need to collapse each team individually after I've read the latest posts within. I like to keep all of my teams collapsed so that they're all visible and none are scrolled below the screen.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We had a miscommunication recently due to auto Thread collapsing causing later replies to not be noticed. Those later replies of course had important information that was "helpfully" hidden by the thread being collapsed. In fact, by showing only the first and last messages, it further masked the change in content.
    A trivial example:
    Original: We need to finish by Friday
    Reply 1: Update, finish Thursday
    Reply 2: Update, finish Wednesday.
    Final: Good job, stay on track!

Thread Collapsing causes you to see at a glance:
    Original: We need to finish by Friday
    2 replies from X
    Final: Good job, stay on track!

• Brandon Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(Hint: You can collapse threads by clicking into another channel, then going back to the one that you were just in.)

• PrivateInformation commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let the user decide whether to collapse conversations and optionally decide what length should be used for collapsing.

In our system the collapse breaks of just before a build report status, which is annoying.

• Matt Wigdahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's pretty clear when folks are voluntarily using the workaround of "click into another channel, then click back" to collapse that this is a feature that a lot of people would find valuable!

• Lindsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 We just went live today with Teams and this was the first bit of feedback rec'd.

• Lindsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are brand new to teams and I have had several request the ability to collapse an expanded conversation after reading the replies. I am not finding a way to do this.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 especially if youre trying to search for another thread in a team and you don't want to get spammed by a very active thread that's on-going.

Feedback and Knowledge Base