How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Collapse/expand conversations (hide/show replies)

Users are asking for a few different things:

1. Collapse/expend all button -- single click to collapse or expand all threads
2. Admin setting for collapse/expand
3. Button to re-collapse a thread once its been expanded (right now you have to navigate to another channel in order for the thread to re-collapse)

Please add more granular requests in the thread below.

452 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Carlos Carvallo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • joe copp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should at least be configuration options for the collapsing of messages in a conversation - both for size of individual messages and for number of replies. Even just additional options to "always exand" single messages and "always expand" all replies to a conversation would be a big win.

• Bryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team really thinks this will make a big difference in the way we work. A setting that will auto-expand all the threads by default would be great!

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also need auto collapse of teams when switching between them as well.

• Vivek Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have missed lot many message when this do auto hide and very small icon to see more. I think by default this should show all message and it's conversession.

• A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

"Please, for the love of productivity, don't auto-hide my content!"

Who in the first place though this was a good idea? Copy the concept of already proven to work software, then slowly improve on it. Reinventing is not possible for a chat application anymore.

It could have been a intended feature, but I have seen messages where only 1 or 2 pixels of the top line of the text is visible and that cannot be on purpose. This seems like a fixed-height quick fix which risk some content being missed.

• Matthew Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need Auto-Expand for 'see more' and 'Nx repiies from' along with 'Select All' for copy/paste as there seems to be no other way of migrating teams from one tenant to another.

• Steve Minar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a hot button for our organization. We'd like:
    Make the tenant default: autocollapse off
    Allow: users to collapse and uncollapse as they please, remembering state
    Provide: UI/UX to collapse all, uncollapse all

We find the autocollapse of Team channels and the autocollapse of threads to be a real nuisance. I can't tell you how many times I've personally missed important messages because of autocollapse and the easy-to-overlook "See more..." link.

I'd much rather have the data always visible and have to scroll more or manage the collapsed sections on my own.

Please, for the love of productivity, don't auto-hide my content!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be better if it remembered last stat of collapse / expend of each thread.

Desperately need to ability to Collapse all conversation in a channel. Also it would be nice to have a more defined separation between the conversations. They all seem to blend together. Thank you!!!

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed --" OK to make us scroll a bit to "catch" on what has been going on. Scrolling is almost effortless. Finding critical messages hidden in a collapsed section is not. NO chat application auto collapse messages, please make this a default!"

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding #2, I completely agree with PrivateInformation below. Instead of making collapse/expand an admin setting, make it a user setting!

"Let the user decide whether to collapse conversations and optionally decide what length should be used for collapsing."

Personally I find it *much* easier to scan by scrolling without additional clicking into threads, but not everyone is the same.

The way to make Teams sticky is to give individuals as much control as possible over their communications!

Is there a setting to have new posts expanded by default instead of finding the read more button each time?

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. Was just looking for a Collapse All button so I only see the original posts to each conversation and not any replies to make it easier to find a certain thread.

• Jacob Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully realize this will not make the Teams developers happy. But I NEEDED the ability to download an entire conversation (and every reply within).
    You are going to need to open Teams in chrome: right-click the page, select inspect, select console tab at the top of developer tools, type this without surrounding quotes, "$("div:not([title='Collapse all']) a.ts-collapsed-string").click()", press enter.
    This is basically just clicking all the links that do NOT say "Collapse all", thus opening them.
    - Be prepared for huge need for memory if opening large conversations. Sure would have been nice to have a simple text export of a conversation.

• Nuno Carneiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be useful if as a TEAMs Owner, one could merge two conversations into the same (and have the time stamp dictate where they sit on the conversation thread).

I find that it is easy to confuse the two ways to communicate in a channel conversation (the ability to reply to an existing thread, and the box where you start a new conversation), especially for people new to TEAMS (it happens a lot in my experience, and I think at some point in time we have all been guilty of doing this).

If as an Owner I can come behind and merge these small errors, then the conversations are always clean and tidy.

• Phil L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same. From a UX standpoint, it is OK to make us scroll a bit to "catch" on what has been going on. Scrolling is almost effortless. Finding critical messages hidden in a collapsed section is not. NO chat application auto collapse messages, please make this a default!

Feedback and Knowledge Base