How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Collapse/expand conversations (hide/show replies)

Users are asking for a few different things:

1. Collapse/expend all button -- single click to collapse or expand all threads
2. Admin setting for collapse/expand
3. Button to re-collapse a thread once its been expanded (right now you have to navigate to another channel in order for the thread to re-collapse)

Please add more granular requests in the thread below.

397 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Carlos Carvallo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I never want to collapse anything in the chat, please give me a user setting to NEVER do it!

• Paul Pearce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather than a button to "expand/collapse all" just a user setting to default all to start expanded would be much more useful. I frequently have conversations where I have to click "See more" on nearly every message...

Also, the "See less"/"See more" buttons not taking up two lines worth of space would be nice, there's so much empty space elsewhere, why would you put it somewhere you could be displaying the message?

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Super keen on getting rid of all collapsing, I lose information all the time, I'm always expanding, such a waste of time and clicks. I would turn it off if I could.

• Solarfinder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking at this thread, it appears that it's been running for quite some time with very little traction. Any thoughts on how we can add a priority?

I definitely agree with a good number of posts from other users, where quite a bit of information is lost when I am unable to see the full conversation. I have several customers that leverage teams as an informational hub with O365 tenant communications and only seeing the initial email header doesn't allow for appropriate flow and communication with the various teams.

I find it interesting that there isn't an option to allow this feature. While I understand the overall load times improve when you do not pull every single object on the first few calls, however, an async process that is configurable, to allow people to configure the first 5, 10, or more conversations in expanded mode would be helpful.

• Phil Burgard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren's response states a "Button to re-collapse a thread once it has been expanded" Where is the button mentioned?

Note: Our business partners would like a feature/button to collapse ALL Threads and Posts within a given channel. Toggle show all and hide all threads in a channel is the expected result of this request.

Thank you.
        Phil

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find I'm missing a lot of conversations due to the collapsing. I want to be able to turn it off.

• Erik Olsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The feature is more annoying than useful. I need to see all messages the collapse feature is annoyingly slow. I would think expand all as default, or remove collapse.

• joe copp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should at least be configuration options for the collapsing of messages in a conversation - both for size of individual messages and for number of replies. Even just additional options to "always exand" single messages and "always expand" all replies to a conversation would be a big win.

• Bryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team really thinks this will make a big difference in the way we work. A setting that will auto-expand all the threads by default would be great!

• Vivek Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have missed lot many message when this do auto hide and very small icon to see more. I think by default this should show all message and it's conversession.

• A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

"Please, for the love of productivity, don't auto-hide my content!"

Who in the first place though this was a good idea? Copy the concept of already proven to work software, then slowly improve on it. Reinventing is not possible for a chat application anymore.

It could have been a intended feature, but I have seen messages where only 1 or 2 pixels of the top line of the text is visible and that cannot be on purpose. This seems like a fixed-height quick fix which risk some content being missed.

• Matthew Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need Auto-Expand for 'see more' and 'Nx repiies from' along with 'Select All' for copy/paste as there seems to be no other way of migrating teams from one tenant to another.

• Steve Minar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a hot button for our organization. We'd like:
        Make the tenant default: autocollapse off
        Allow: users to collapse and uncollapse as they please, remembering state
        Provide: UI/UX to collapse all, uncollapse all

We find the autocollapse of Team channels and the autocollapse of threads to be a real nuisance. I can't tell you how many times I've personally missed important messages because of autocollapse and the easy-to-overlook "See more..." link.

I'd much rather have the data always visible and have to scroll more or manage the collapsed sections on my own.

Please, for the love of productivity, don't auto-hide my content!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base