How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Collapse/expand conversations (hide/show replies)

Users are asking for a few different things:

1. Collapse/expend all button -- single click to collapse or expand all threads
2. Admin setting for collapse/expand
3. Button to re-collapse a thread once its been expanded (right now you have to navigate to another channel in order for the thread to re-collapse)

Please add more granular requests in the thread below.

485 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Carlos Carvallo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

80 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jonathan Haskett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually think the problem is "upstream". To be useful when I go to a channel I need to see a list of conversations *by title* like Outlook. Then when I click on a Conversation it should expand with all posts scrollable which I can then read continuously. I would then collapse that one when I was finished, be back at the list of conversations and expand another conversation, entire.

• Bruce Edge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, expand all and stop collapsing threads unless I ask for it.
    It's like it's hiding content on purpose. Bad decision for default behavior.

• Anonymouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@warren did the devs not look at any other products? This makes teams really difficult to navigate and find information. We are being force to Teams from Slack, and quite frankly it's horrible. The UI is way too busy, and messages are truncated by default.

Please mention to whomever is managing this train wreck that we really need a way to NOT collapse everything by default.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Any update with this? Having to click "see more" all the time is a total pain and too often crucial information is missed. It also makes something really hard to find retrospectively when everything is hidden like this - you have to open a bunch of of messages to find the info you need which is detrimental to productivity.

• Tamra King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CSS Commercial Escalations posting on behalf of 200-seat O365 Broad Commercial Customer:

Users need the Collapse/Expand settings to be retained while navigating in Teams; they are transient now and are not retained for the user profile.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really like to have things expanded, at least for conversations that have been active last few days.

• Ben Moulson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I have it so messages that are sent on channels which are long are viewed always in full instead of having to click 'see more'. I am pretty new to using ms teams but am finding this very frustrating.

• Yakeen Sewsanker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From the desktop, the ability to scroll through a buffer and read content is really important. Auto collapsing by default hinders this search. It would be best if the this a setting global per channel.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New to Teams (coming from Slack) and this is probably my #1 gripe with the system. Please implement ASAP at the very least a way to simply expand all messages in a thread/conversation, or better let me have a user setting that determines how conversations are shown. The constant 'show more' clicking one has to do to see a conversation is highly aggravating.

• Creative Team commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Posts being collapsed is proving to be really poor UX - people on our team are frequently missing important points and direction given because they didn't click "see more" - usually because they did not notice it was there.

We NEED all posts, and all threads to be expanded by default.

• Ty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 This is almost a deal breaker for being able to use a Channel for daily stand-ups. Clicking 'See more' on every post is just a non-starter.

• Kevin F. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully agree. Something in the general settings so that by default you can expand all threads would be good

• BH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please implement this. No updates since last year.
    Much sadface.

• Paul Pearce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, as I don't seem to be able to edit my comment...
    On iOS - skipping past the fact that there is a Se more at all when you should just show the whole message, tapping See more shouldn't move to a new screen, it should just expand the message.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I never want to collapse anything in the chat, please give me a user setting to NEVER do it!

• Paul Pearce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather than a button to "expand/collapse all" just a user setting to default all to start expanded would be much more useful. I frequently have conversations where I have to click "See more" on nearly every message...

Also, the "See less"/"See more" buttons not taking up two lines worth of space would be nice, there's so much empty space elsewhere, why would you put it somewhere you could be displaying the message?

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Super keen on getting rid of all collapsing, I lose information all the time, I'm always expanding, such a waste of time and clicks. I would turn it off if I could.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.