How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Allow drag and drop from Outlook directly to Teams

Dragging and dropping attachments directly from the e-mail window without having to first drag them onto the desktop (for instance) and them from there dragging them to the files tab in Teams would make many lives so much easier.

There are a few suggestions to enable drag and dropping, but it seems that it is already working, at least with the desktop client, but making that work directly from an e-mail window would be very nice.

3,300 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mika Berglund shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

233 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris Lynch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is posing a serious issue to us as well and it is acting as a barrier to getting the organisation to fully adopt the O365/ Teams/ SharePoint implementation here. The ability to be able to take "material" email details and to hold them in Team Channels/ SharePoint really is basic stuff. There is a way round it, but only of you use the Native Desktop Outlook where you have the File> Save As> function and you can then uplist the file from the chosen location. However, as others have said this has significant data privacy issues (GDPR) and it is hellishly inefficient

I should add, so I hope Microsoft is listening, that issues like this are absolute Mecca to the Google fans hovering over the implementation like vultures. So Microsoft, this is basic stuff to meet basic business process needs. Technet and the discussion forums are littered with material on this topic area and the usual "it is on the backlog" excuse that has been floating round for over a year just doesn't wash any more. Please give this the focus it deserves!

• Roel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sorry to re-open this kind of ancient post, but I use DragDrop.
        It is an Add-in that supports Outlook 2007 and up, and makes dragging and dropping through outlook and any dropzone possible.
        I use it very often and it is such a handy and powerful tool.

You can find DragDrop here: https://tinyurl.com/y7kngfb5
        Oh, and they also provide a free trial here: https://tinyurl.com/y8wyrb8a

• Seraina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

short term solution. synchronize your sharepoint with our pc => then it is a one drive on your desktop.
        you can then drag and drop the email in this onedrive teams folder or save it directly in this onedrive teams folder.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, ditto this comment needs to be prioritized it is a time killer the way it's manually done now.

Yes very much needed this feature. Drag and drop mails will save much time and the team
        In searching the right mails

• Cara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be SO useful and a much better security function. I don't want my users to save things locally!

Its really expected from company like MS with all those experience to think about these kind of features way upfront .. in the design phase. Its quite sad to discover the functionality that is so common in 2019 is not available on your "super great new product"
        Really MS, you should do better job in 21st century - in generally!

• Barry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about the opposite, (ie drag and dropping from Team to Outlook to add an attachment.

Agree this would be a significant time saver and increase adoption and integration within the flow of work.

• Ian Biddle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. Its a big GDPR fail having to drag to the local machine before you can get it into teams.
        You must have ability to drag as much as possible into teams from email clients and web sites. without having to go local first.

In fact for security you should have ability to stop dragging to the local computer at all.

All in all, Teams needs to act more like the file explorer in terms of how easy it is to do things like create new folders, copy and move files, etc. Right now it is WAY too cumbersome to do basic tasks like move a file to a different folder and feels like we have gone backwards in time.

I wish for this feature multiple times a day. Please make it happen quickly. It would be a huge enabler of my productivity.

This feature would be great. I would even extend it to have possibility to forward complete email (with attachments) to a channel.

• An active Korn Ferry Teams Advocate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring this up in top priority for usability. This is the most aggravating part of Microsoft Teams for our users. We need to be able to directly drag and drop email attachments to the Files in a Channel that we can select. In the email, click on attachment, Upload, choose Team, choose Channel, choose Folder. Single or multiple attachments. REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT. Then reverse, from Teams to and email, add singular and multiple docs as an attachment. Very basic. And been asked for for 2 years. We understand you have a lot of priorities, but can't you fix this basic for your users????

• RW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent idea - in fact it should be possible to work in drag&drop fashion with everything.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not a thing yet? I can drag to the desktop, then drag to teams... why do I have to drag it to my desktop at all..... Why is there no update from MS on this... last reply was July 6, 2018?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base