How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Allow drag and drop from Outlook directly to Teams

Dragging and dropping attachments directly from the e-mail window without having to first drag them onto the desktop (for instance) and them from there dragging them to the files tab in Teams would make many lives so much easier.

There are a few suggestions to enable drag and dropping, but it seems that it is already working, at least with the desktop client, but making that work directly from an e-mail window would be very nice.

3,842 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mika Berglund shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

249 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Damien J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't understand why this is not available - This should have been a feature at release

• Victor E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!! Add this feature already! Its 2019 seamless integration between products MS!! We should not have to ask for your products to play nice with each other!!

• Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's ridiculous that this feature is not available. It should be enabled for all Microsoft products, but especially for Outlook.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Save to a Team works, however, the Drag and Drop is needed because there are many 'ad hoc' teams (chats with individual or small groups of people) that need to be able to seamlessly share files. Otherwise we get a chat that says 'I emailed all of you the report file'...

• Amy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, this Feature is much needed and is causing some resistance in the adoption of teams for us.

Oh dear, more on the backlog . The ability to save and drag / drop from outlook is a must for user adoption. Really do not understand why this is not done yet. If there is no solution when we fully roll out there will be serious push back.

• Leon Vanella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So Warren asked:

"The feature team was curious about how high you would rank this considering you can “save as…” in Outlook and save the file into a Teams file location.
    Is it that locating the proper spot to save a file is more complex and therefore drag and drop would be easier/faster?"

Yes, many of us have regulatory compliance factors that make syncing the SP Library somewhere an issue, and training people to use the Win10 Quick Access with Teams and SP libraries is impacting ease of adoption. Please either make Outlook able to save to SPO locations (not just OneDrive or a Group), or allow this drag-and-drop direct from Outlook without touching a local machine.

How about just supporting "Copy" from Outlook attachment, and right-click "Paste" into the Teams folder?

Come on … both applications are Microsoft and you are on the same physical machine so what's the big deal about this simple solution? The clipboard has been in Windows for ever and is the basic mechanism for this.

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello. Is this still on the backlog? This is a really useful feature that will help my team adopt Teams.

• LisaJo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have synced a TEAMS enabled site to my File Explorer but if I try to save as or drag a file from one location (desktop or ODB for example), it says I don't have the permissions to do so. I am a tenant admin and owner of the TEAMS site. What more do I need???

• Chris Lynch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is posing a serious issue to us as well and it is acting as a barrier to getting the organisation to fully adopt the O365/ Teams/ SharePoint implementation here. The ability to be able to take "material" email details and to hold them in Team Channels/ SharePoint really is basic stuff. There is a way round it, but only of you use the Native Desktop Outlook where you have the File> Save As> function and you can then uplist the file from the chosen location. However, as others have said this has significant data privacy issues (GDPR) and it is hellishly inefficient

I should add, so I hope Microsoft is listening, that issues like this are absolute Mecca to the Google fans hovering over the implementation like vultures. So Microsoft, this is basic stuff to meet basic business process needs. Technet and the discussion forums are littered with material on this topic area and the usual "it is on the backlog" excuse that has been floating round for over a year just doesn't wash any more. Please give this the focus it deserves!

• Roel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sorry to re-open this kind of ancient post, but I use DragDrop.
    It is an Add-in that supports Outlook 2007 and up, and makes dragging and dropping through outlook and any dropzone possible.
    I use it very often and it is such a handy and powerful tool.

You can find DragDrop here: https://tinyurl.com/y7kngfb5
    Oh, and they also provide a free trial here: https://tinyurl.com/y8wyrb8a

• Seraina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

short term solution. synchronize your sharepoint with our pc => then it is a one drive on your desktop.
    you can then drag and drop the email in this onedrive teams folder or save it directly in this onedrive teams folder.

Hi, ditto this comment needs to be prioritized it is a time killer the way it's manually done now.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base