How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Re-using the same Channel Name

After you create a channel, then choose to delete the channel, you can no longer create a NEW channel with the same name. It seems like you have to delete the team and start over.

242 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Peter Arvidson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
try this instead  ·  Warren responded  · 

Updating the status to “Try this instead” and have added the clarification that after 30 days the name is once again available.

The reason for this decision was that Channels can be restored 30 days after being deleted. During this time, we intentionally don’t support creating a channel with the same name. After the 30 days, the name is available.

You can workaround this by restoring a deleted channel, renaming it, and then deleting the channel again. The previous name is then available for use.

This workaround has already been mentioned in the comments and if an immediate reuse of a Channel Name is required, this is the recommended solution.
-Warren

37 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • László Szönyi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, but this is a mess. I have deleted a channel long time ago and the channel name is blocked since then. Cannot restore it either. Furthermore, renaming a Channel does not rename the Folder under SharePoint. So in case I want to reorganize the Channels (e.g. by adding some numbers to each) the directories under SharePoint will not follow the structure. In case I want to reorganize the directories under SharePoint (e.g. by adding some numbers to each) Teams will not show my documents anymore as the Channels are linked to SharePoint Folders by their old names.

PLEASE do not block names for which no Channels in Teams and no Folders in SharePoint exist anymore.

PLEASE provide us the option to update the link of Channels to SharePoint Folders manually under Channel Management in Teams. Teams should list all existing SharePoint Folders of a specific Team and the admin should be able to manually repair broken links (caused by renaming folders in SharePoint).

Thanks in advance.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue. Channel was deleted over 30 days ago and we really need to add it back. FRUSTRATING!

• Ed Haynes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue here, if the channel was deleted more than 30 days ago we still can't re-use the channel name nor can we restore the channel!

• Micky Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren:

Your statement that "After the 30 days, the name is available." is inaccurate. Actually, Microsoft Teams even lists this as being a known issue on the webpage https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/known-issues as of November 8, 2018. It states the following:

Issue Title: Users can't recreate a pre-existing channel name
    Behavior / Symptom: Once a channel name has been created, even if it's deleted, it cannot be recreated. Our system maintains this data for information protection scenarios.
    Known workaround: No workaround.
    Discovery date: 3/13/17

We are experiencing this now as we created a channel named 'Wrike' and have since deleted it months ago. Now we need to recreate a channel named 'Wrike' but Microsoft Teams says the name already exists.

Do you agree Warren you should update your 'Try This Instead' posted on 10/18/2018 to disclose there is still a known issue when reusing a channel name as described by Microsoft and that your statement that 'After the 30 days, the name is available.' is not always accurate?

• Corina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issues as Andrew Close
    1. I had deleted a channel months ago - but cannot reuse the name.
    2. I now have deleted a channel which I want to restore, but it is not listed under the "Deleted" channels - still within the 30 day restore timeframe.
    How to get the channel back?

By the way - deleting the team isn't necessarily a solution if you want to preserve a clean URL of the underlying sharepoint site. For example, if you delete a team with the name Finance and create a new team named Finance, the sharepoint URL will be ../sites/finance2/etc which isn't very intuitive and could lead to confusion.

We are also unable to rename a channel with a name used months ago. The 30 day threshold doesn't appear to be working correctly. The channel renaming issue is a big problem for us and I would think any other organisation – the normal ebb and flow of decisions around naming conventions often leads to trial and error, hence I am surprised the name of a channel isn’t abstracted from the unique identifier of the channel.

• Andrew Close commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that I also tried the restore and rename option but there are 0 channels listed under "Deleted".

• Andrew Close commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a Channel called "Personnel" that I deleted months and months ago however, I still cannot reuse the name. There appears to be a bug in the 30-day freeing up of these names.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Again, please clarify this. I have channel names more than 30 days old that I cannot use again, nor can I reuse and delete.

Does this mean I just have some legacy forever not-reusable names? But moving forward I should be good to go?

That solution does not work for those who have more than 2 years using the App

• Jurand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In that case, can you set the restore time to "forever" instead 30 days?

• Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is also the problem I see with this. If we have a channel that was deleted more than 30 days ago, how is it a workaround if we cannot restore it after that timeframe?

I just confirmed that is the case. I tried to create a channel with the same name as one deleted more than 30 days ago and it says Channel name already taken. I do not have that channel listed in my deleted channel area.

Your post makes it sound like it would only be during the 30 day restore period it cannot be reused (which certainly makes sense). But now after 30 days, what are we to do?

What if it is longer than 30 days? I have tried to reuse a name from a deleted channel that does not show up in my deleted channels list and it still says I cannot. How can I restore it, to delete it, if I don't see it to restore?

• Jay Sperl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Karl's solution from May 16, 2018 worked well. I will use it to clean up a bit of a mess I made. That said, I am hopeful we have a solution to avoid this work-around at some point soon. Most will not be patient enough to use the work-around and end up with an even bigger mess.

• Karl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PROBLEM: Created a channel called "IT Systems". Folder with same name gets created. Then later I renamed channel til "Systems" and renamed the folder. Now I have a linking problem because in teams the channel Systems now links to the folder IT System that no longer exists.
    I delete and try to recreate the channel but it says it's still in use.

SOLTUION: Go to "Manage Team > Channels" and restore the channel. This will not fix the problem. The restored channel will still be linked old folder name. What you need to do now is rename the channel and delete. The name is no longer taken and you can create the channel again and this time it will link to the correct folder.

TL;DR: Restore channel, rename and delete again. Now the original name is free to be used again and folder name will link properly.

just now i see this problem i wandering why it's take all this time to fix it
    Alex the teams engineering is response at March 16 20118 but there no date to when it will be fix

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base