How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Multi-window for chats and more

I want to have separate top-level windows for each person I'm chatting with, rather than tabs.

6,996 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeffrey Tippet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

It has been three months since the last update, so checking in here to let you know this is still being actively worked on. I really appreciate your patience as we work on this.

I hope you’re all enjoying the holidays, and have a very Happy New Year!

Thanks,
Suphatra

722 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Spencer Reed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a good idea to implement would be to allow multiple windows to be opened for MS Teams. For instance, to be taking notes while conferencing or watching a video in a channel. Once I click out of the channel it stops the video.

• John O'Reilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If there were a way to 'pop-out' the activity feed into its own window or be able to shrink down the Teams window to show only the activity feed, I would leave it open all the time on the side of my monitor and use it to drive my work. as it is, Teams takes up too much real estate to keep visible all the time, so it becomes one more place to check for what's going on.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. I'd love it if the UI scaled down in a manner similar to Skype for Business, and didn't hide the contacts list when small. Teams is simply way to large on my monitor and doesn't fit with all the other things I have open.

The minimum widths are *much* too large:

Teams: 720px minimum width - at this smallest setting is hides the contacts list :(
    To get the contacts list to show, it has to be a huge 950px

Skype for Business: 590px minimum width - this is smaller than the smallest width of Teams, *AND* still includes the contacts list.

• Vic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Integrate exchange mail (outlook) into it and I get rid of even one more app ;-)

• Vic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, to be able to replace Skype for Business for the chat then there is indeed a need for reducing Teams App to a compact window. Suggestion is to minimize to something like the "Skype for Business" list of contacts window. Preferably even smaller than that since the Skype list of contact window menu buttons and header takes up to much space. Take the chance and make it even better (more compact) this time.

• Tim Walsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to have the ability to pop-out a conversation within a Team/Channel. This would be especially helpful when there are multiple conversations going on and the chat window keeps scrolling past your conversation.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"the more we do in Teams, the more the one window limitation has to go"

That's it right there. You want us to use the integrated apps, but we can't do that AND chat? Why would I use anything integrated if I could just open up OneNote or Excel separately to use both at once (and chat in Teams as well)

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hoping this gets fixed, not being able to have a multi window experience really limits the productivity of Teams. Almost defeats the purpose of having a workstation with multiple monitors.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been watching some of the Teams sessions from Ignite and while I love Teams and like the direction, the more we do in Teams, the more the one window limitation has to go. Even now we're working on Documents, Planner, OneNote etc from within various Team channels and having to leave (close) whatever you're working on to respond to chats or just look at something else is maddening. Even just being forced/limited to viewing only one document/app at a time is a HUGE limitation.

Please allow us to move anything were working on/anyone we're chatting with to separate windows ASAP!!!

• Darwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a pain in our company we frequently use a different video client like Amazon Chime so we can easily post into the channel that we started the meeting in. Also is it my imagination or is the chat of a meeting (accessed by the chat bubble in the upper right) NOT integrated with the room the meeting was started from? It should be.

• Sim Sokleang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to switch from Teams channel to chat and revert every time new messages pop-up in chat.

• Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enable opening a new window and tab in Windows 10 client and defining defaults e.g. open private chat in new window, show toast notification when mentioned

One of my big issues is with multi-tasking. If I switch between tabs like Conversations and Wiki then I lose all context of where I was. So, for example, it is then a big problem to copy and paste things from one place to another. How can I open multiple windows and have different tasks going on at the same time? There is a Windows menu but I cannot see any way of opening another window and perform a different task. Have I missed some magic method of having more than one window open? The T-Bot chat help was totally useless at providing any assistance and just kept pointing me to using Tabs, which don’t work at all the way I want them to.

pop-out window for chat is a no-brainer. The only reason I keep chatting in S4B instead of Teams is because Teams doesn't offer pop-out window for chat yet.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have no idea how this doesn’t have more either. If I’m using a team page and need to open a chat it is really annoying having to close the channel I’m in by going to the chat window just to go back to the channel and navigate to where is was. Big oversight

• Tony Avery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a basic function in all modern desktop applications. It's like making Word so you can only view one document at a time, or a web browser where you can't view more then one page at a time.

Whoops. I meant to say "it is a pain to have the Teams window become the screen share window".

Hangouts does it right, with a separate popup for the screen share.

Feedback and Knowledge Base