How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Multi-window for chats and more

I want to have separate top-level windows for each person I'm chatting with, rather than tabs.

6,996 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeffrey Tippet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

It has been three months since the last update, so checking in here to let you know this is still being actively worked on. I really appreciate your patience as we work on this.

I hope you’re all enjoying the holidays, and have a very Happy New Year!

Thanks,
Suphatra

722 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we get an option to have conversations start up in a separate window, rather than attached to the main Teams window? Then you could close that window when you are done and the main window would be much more compact. Kind of like SFB is designed.

• Keiji Maruyama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I join many teams. So that I want to open each channels in same time like Explorer or Web browser.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to see that this has progressed to "planned". The "compact mode" feature would make this a lot more useful, as it could dramatically reduce the screen real estate required for multiple windows. I hope that this will be going in at the same time.

I need to be able to have one screen for video and one for content, or chat. Also needed for 2 screen conferences facilities.

• ms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How long before this is fixed? Teams is unusable if I can't have multiple chat windows open.

• Bradley Stein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with the other comments. This is a basic function in modern applications and should be implemented in Teams

• bb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Version 12 here...Not giving the chat sessions the ability to pop out so you can view multiple chats at the same time is dumb dumb dumb bad idea, fire that person.

can someone help us with this? I need teams to take up smaller amounts of the screen and also be able to use smaller fonts

• Rachel Profitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many Microsoft applications already have the concept of open in a new window or pop out to new window. I find my self clicking back and forth a lot when working with multiple files. For example I have an excel sheet or a SharePoint list with many actions to take on a various files. I would like to have the team open and click a quick button to pop out the document or the list to a new window so I can drag to another monitor or portion of my monitor to see and update multiple documents at the same time.

• Rachel Profitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many Microsoft applications already have the concept of open in a new window or pop out to new window. I find my self clicking back and forth a lot when working with multiple files. For example I have an excel sheet or a SharePoint list with many actions to take on a various files. I would like to have the team open and click a quick button to pop out the document or the list to a new window so I can drag to another monitor or portion of my monitor to see and update multiple documents at the same time.

• Tony Avery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope you notice that there are multiple versions of this request. This request has 381 votes, but if you add up all of the separate requests for this I bet the total vote count is a lot higher. IMHO this is a necessary feature to continue driving success of this application.

• Tony Avery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a basic function in modern applications. For example, I need to be able to see 2 chats at once.

• Ryan Zielinski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

During one on one chats it would be nice to be able to have the chat conversations popped out like within Skype. This way we save time from popping in and out of large screens looking for our messages and can carry on conversations easier.

• Jana Pelclova commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I would also like to open Teams and Chat in separate windows. Having to switch out from Teams conversations to reply to a message is stupid and time consuming. Also, I can't have both environments open on separate screens.

I agree, having to switch between tabs just to follow conversations is a chore. Most of the time I have the chat window open on my secondary screen and do not want to post just keep up to date while working.

• Kreera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if you don't have multiple monitors, there should be an option to detach elements so that you don't have to flip back and forth between tasks, for example, have a channel conversation on the screen while you're editing content in the wiki or in notes and have a 1:1 chat with someone else going, or multiple 1:1 chats. Having to switch between pages is very cumbersome.

• Kreera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, multiple windows is a must. I now have to open both the desktop app and the web versions so that I can look at the conversation in a channel at the same time as working on content in one of the tabs or have multiple chats going.

• Tuomas Pakkanen (Sulava Oy) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly I don't mind jumping between different channels or Teams, but I came about a use case with a customer, in which they need to have several Team chats (with different people) open at the same time and the conversation happening is very rapid. This is a typical multi-monitor environment. At the moment they are working with Skype for Business Online, but the lack of persistent chat rooms there is a problem. Teams would solve practically all of their issues, but they have the absolute requirement of having multiple chat rooms visible on one screen at the same time, which is not possible with Teams at the moment.

I think an easy solution would be to allow "pop-out" button in each channel or chat, which would just open a light and condensed version of the conversation as a separate window.

• Vesa Nopanen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow us to continue private chats and/or participating in different channel chats while viewing a file on preview mode. Chat window could be similar to file conversation section (compact)

Feedback and Knowledge Base