How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Multi-window for chats and more

I want to have separate top-level windows for each person I'm chatting with, rather than tabs.

7,157 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeffrey Tippet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

It has been three months since the last update, so checking in here to let you know this is still being actively worked on. I really appreciate your patience as we work on this.

I hope you’re all enjoying the holidays, and have a very Happy New Year!

Thanks,
Suphatra

738 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Klaus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitively need this.
    The old skype interface was perfect. Each time a message from a different person arrives, a new chat window with the person name is created.
    In the taskbar I see the new "button" and I can see the name of the person.
    If multiple people send me msgs (it happens often in a work environment), it is easier for me to see who is calling me and who do I still have to reply (highlight in taskbar for chat windows I haven't yet brought to foreground)

In Teams (and skype for business, btw), there is only ONE window. I have the following difficulties:

1) If multiple persons writes me, I only see a single window highlighted, once I bring it to foreground to reply to one, the highlight is gone. I have to scan the contact list to see if there's any contact name in bold. Very time consuming and error prone.

2) If I forget to reply to some, and the Teams window is in the background, I have no visual notification that there are still other people that I have not yet read their msgs.

I don't know, old skype was so perfect.... why in the **** did you changed it?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! I just had an instance where I needed to reference a conversation in one channel when responding in another channel. Flipping back and forth was a pain. Functionality should be similar to Outlook where you can open emails, calendar, etc in a separate window.

• MIchael Berry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I often begin a chat, realize I need a link to a Team file, navigate to the team file tab, copy the link, go back to the chat, and paste in the link. This is a huge inconvenience. If there were multiple windows or a better way to reference team files in a chat, that would be a much simpler and easier-to-use approach.

• Joost Groot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only for multiple chat windows would this be a great feature, but also for "phone-calls". We've been trailing the use of Teams as replacement for SkypeForBusiness. So I only need one client active on my deskopt, mobilephone etc.

But having to switch between team document, phonecall, chat is a real irritation factor. Work around I now use is desktop window as main TEAMS window and a browser to teams.microsoft.com to chat.

Thought it would have been great to be able to remove the annoying bar reminding me to use the desktop software. I know desktop version works better :-)

It would great if team could open content in browser like separate tabs. Currently one needs to always use the back button to navigate and if you click on a notification the page you are on is gone.

• Pero Perić commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also... WTF is with opening pictures within skype??? I have skype as smallest possible window and now if I want to see picture received, I have to maximize the window!!! Are you mental??

• Pero Perić commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

only a complete idiot would remove this feature from new version!! So you have a project manager for skype and a bunch of a developers who are COMPLETE IDIOTS!!!

• Jenn Carr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this really needs to be in place when screensharing. It needs to pop another window so i can still see what the chats are behind it

• Antony Upward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will separate windows (as per Skype 7) be available before Skype 7 is turned off / disable Sept 1?

• Dominic Beirne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sure this is probably in progress already, but can we have it so you are able to open separate windows within Teams? This would be good as it's a pain sometimes navigating between a tab on a particular channel you're currently working on whilst needing to check a message on a separate chat. If I'm not mistaken you can't do this at the moment.

A Need for a separate windows for each chat is an absolut need, as it is a popup window when I get new message. I work with several people and its being imposible to work with the new skype version. It is so bad that we are switching to Whatsapp web. Who in the **** designed the new Skype interphase? Somebody that hates Microsoft? LOL

• JR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NEED NEED NEED. really cuts down on the "productivity" aspect of Teams if I can't do things in parallel with multiple windows. So please don't limit to Chat -- need to be able to have a window open to my favorite channel, maybe have a chat in another, and another channel.

• Dan Kellett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hopefully this gets applied to the meeting experience too. Teleconferencing in meeting rooms with dual screens isn't a great experience right now. We'd like to see participant videos on one screen, and screen share on the other.

1. Need separate windows for separate chats
    2. Need window popup when I get new message
    3. Need resize window like in old skype
    4. Skype now working slow.. :(

Feedback and Knowledge Base