How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Multi-window for chats and more

I want to have separate top-level windows for each person I'm chatting with, rather than tabs.

4,831 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeffrey Tippet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

It has been three months since the last update, so checking in here to let you know this is still being actively worked on. I really appreciate your patience as we work on this.

I hope you’re all enjoying the holidays, and have a very Happy New Year!

Thanks,
    Suphatra

533 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hoping this gets fixed, not being able to have a multi window experience really limits the productivity of Teams. Almost defeats the purpose of having a workstation with multiple monitors.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been watching some of the Teams sessions from Ignite and while I love Teams and like the direction, the more we do in Teams, the more the one window limitation has to go. Even now we're working on Documents, Planner, OneNote etc from within various Team channels and having to leave (close) whatever you're working on to respond to chats or just look at something else is maddening. Even just being forced/limited to viewing only one document/app at a time is a HUGE limitation.

Please allow us to move anything were working on/anyone we're chatting with to separate windows ASAP!!!

• Darwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a pain in our company we frequently use a different video client like Amazon Chime so we can easily post into the channel that we started the meeting in. Also is it my imagination or is the chat of a meeting (accessed by the chat bubble in the upper right) NOT integrated with the room the meeting was started from? It should be.

• Sim Sokleang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to switch from Teams channel to chat and revert every time new messages pop-up in chat.

• Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enable opening a new window and tab in Windows 10 client and defining defaults e.g. open private chat in new window, show toast notification when mentioned

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of my big issues is with multi-tasking. If I switch between tabs like Conversations and Wiki then I lose all context of where I was. So, for example, it is then a big problem to copy and paste things from one place to another. How can I open multiple windows and have different tasks going on at the same time? There is a Windows menu but I cannot see any way of opening another window and perform a different task. Have I missed some magic method of having more than one window open? The T-Bot chat help was totally useless at providing any assistance and just kept pointing me to using Tabs, which don’t work at all the way I want them to.

pop-out window for chat is a no-brainer. The only reason I keep chatting in S4B instead of Teams is because Teams doesn't offer pop-out window for chat yet.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have no idea how this doesn’t have more either. If I’m using a team page and need to open a chat it is really annoying having to close the channel I’m in by going to the chat window just to go back to the channel and navigate to where is was. Big oversight

• Tony Avery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a basic function in all modern desktop applications. It's like making Word so you can only view one document at a time, or a web browser where you can't view more then one page at a time.

Whoops. I meant to say "it is a pain to have the Teams window become the screen share window".

Hangouts does it right, with a separate popup for the screen share.

It is a pain to have the hangouts window become the screen share window. I end up making it larger, maximizing it, often moving it to my other monitor, then when I'm done I have to resize it and move it back to where I want my chat window. Annoying. The screen share should be in a separate popup window.

• Kenny Lentz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ONLY 4 COMMENTS???? WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE ASKING FOR AND/OR SCREAMING ABOUT THIS FUNCTIONALITY? IT VITAL/IMPERATIVE/RELEVANT TO THE SUCCESS OF THE APPLICATION. THE USE CASES ARE THERE. FIX THIS NOW IT SHOULD NOT BE HARD TO DO?

Sorry about the all caps. This feature, in my opinion is transformative for the adoption and success of this application, at least in my organization. Multi Monitor environments are standard now, have one chat and one Teams Window without having to deal with single pane navigation. We have embedded our Help desk home page (jira) into a tab in the general channel in all our teams. looks good, works well and pushes them into the application. Ultimately, it needs to function like a browser (tabbed) as well as multi-window support.

How can we get them to pay attention? Will they respond with an update as to if it's on the roadmap and the possibilities of it happening?

PS: of the 4 previous commenters - i'm trying to figure this one out too. In excel online, can you crtl-click to select multiple non-adjacent cells/rows or columns? is it me?

• Garick N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When in a meeting and you need to respond to other chat messages its confusing to have to go to chats and then back to the meeting and it sometimes doesn't work right. Better to just pop meetings / chats out to a new windows even if it's just for meetings

• James Rule commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, very useful for Teams administration. Open new window would also be great. Perhaps "Popout" for teams/caht/meetings etc. as well as popout for indiviual teams/chats. #PopoutsforAlltheThings

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The absurdly large minimum window size on Mac was the first thing a coworker and I joked about when we installed Teams. I don't understand why MS has such issues creating a chat client that meets the minimum standards set by most others. Huge window size, an improving (over Lync and Skype) yet still clunky interface, and gifs that don't loop or don't always work when dragged-and-dropped (not vital to work, but c'mon, we're humans who like to have fun).

• Joe C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is always a valuable feature. Is there any plan on adding this to the roadmap?

I fully support this. It's actually a pain to work on more than one Team and follow the activities without loosing track, where you've been.

Would be cool to have Tabs at a Global Scope, so it's possible to have a look at the different activities and then switch back to your current tab.

Or simple have a preview for the stuff going on, telling more than "yeah - there has been an update - guess what".

• Ransom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using a Macbook running at 1920x1200 pixels. Teams with Chat uses 1/3 of my screen, which is too much. I can shrink Skype to half that width, see the presence of my regular contacts and read their chats without stopping my work. I need to devote more than 2/3 of my screen to production applications while seeing what is being said in the chats, without bringing that to the front just to follow the conversations.

Feedback and Knowledge Base