How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Multi-window for chats and more

I want to have separate top-level windows for each person I'm chatting with, rather than tabs.

6,258 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeffrey Tippet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

It has been three months since the last update, so checking in here to let you know this is still being actively worked on. I really appreciate your patience as we work on this.

I hope you’re all enjoying the holidays, and have a very Happy New Year!

Thanks,
Suphatra

653 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! (Including on the Mac.) I almost always want a separate window for each chat -- AND certainly need a separate window for groups.

Every Web browser lets the user choose between tabs & windows; every app should too. Outlook lets me open any number of 'main' windows.

• Karol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im coming with an idea to increase multi-talk capabilities
    - Open and edit documents in separate Ms Teams window (instead of browser or editing in main Teams window)
    - Open chat in separate Ms teams window

Why? It would allow to significantly decrease tools you need every day and solves most frustrating problem that occurs when you edit some file in teams, get message, click on chat and in this moment when you want get back to edited file it is already closed so you have to seach for it and open it again

Ability to create separate windows of teams for edited documents, chat or teams would completely solve this kind of problem and I guess it's not that hard to develop as we already can edit files in main window

• Libby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is definitely too big. Much larger than the chat windows from the non Win10 version. Needs to be smaller. Also I don't find the option that are offered in the non Win10 version, screen size, sound alerts, etc.

• Anu P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
    I'd really needs this functionality (open Teams and channels in different windows) as managing 3 different streams/projects in a program.
    How I can do it?

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 'Teams' and 'Chat' features are not really usable with one another given the current layout of the app. This is a huge barrier to actual usability, especially because anything opened on a different tab gets closed when you switch between chat/teams.
    Really good idea, but this app seems like its still a beta version with this big of an obvious problem.

• Paul Husted commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A significant barrier to getting users to use Teams chat instead of Skype for Business is inability to pop out a chat window and keep your focus on other items in Teams.

Chat with someone and your focus on documents or other threads is lost - doesn't make UI sense at all.

Have to be able to pop out a chat like in Skype for Business. Teams is so good...can't have something that could formerly be done in Skype.

A smaller chat window is a MUST. Today, it almost needs to occupy its own screen to be useful.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally, all tabs, channels, and other content should be able to be "torn off" into their own separate windows. This is an example of another use case which would be addressed by that change.

• Phil Hawkshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having to reopen a doc which I’m reading every time i receive a message is a pain. Being able to detach the activity window would easily solve this.

• J K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, please! Even on a dual-monitor setup it's hard to get some work done if teams covers half of the the primary and outlook the whole secondary screen. The whole "touch-optimized" UI bandwagon has gone horribly wrong anyways in my opinion.

I think this feature of multiple windows is the single most important feature that could be added.

When opening /reviewing documents allow a "pop out" screen so the document can be viewed while also replying to team chats. This will allow me to review a document without downloading it, while also reviewing previous comments made in team chats.

• Hildy Nesenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the ETA on having this function added to Teams, hard to utilize all functions with these limitations.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should also be possible for users to group panes together arbitrarily, including into groups-of-groups. The default would be the organization of team=(files+chats+channels) but this shouldn't be the only way to organize things.

The same thing should also be possible with users, so you can create groups of users, and groups-of-groups.

This fits nicely with a hierarchical settings system, where each node in the resulting graph gets a series of permissions and settings.

• James Connolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The chat window is to large for 22 to 24" monitors. Please make the window smaller or go back to Skype.

Feedback and Knowledge Base