How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Multi-window for chats and more

I want to have separate top-level windows for each person I'm chatting with, rather than tabs.

7,003 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeffrey Tippet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

It has been three months since the last update, so checking in here to let you know this is still being actively worked on. I really appreciate your patience as we work on this.

I hope you’re all enjoying the holidays, and have a very Happy New Year!

Thanks,
Suphatra

724 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Pablo Caro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good stuff to have. Specially in calls, separate shared window and video of the other person

• Stephen Steiner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hoping this is optional and on-demand. I don't want 100 chat windows cluttering my desktop, but would like to be able to pop-out selected chats so as not to interfere with other tasks, such as wiki editing.

• Luis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with Mika Berglund. There should be the the ability to have multiple Teams windows open (kind of like "New Window" in Word.)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To simplify user experience while migrating from a legacy hard-phones environment to a "soft client" one - users would need to have the phone interface constantly available as a separate window - regardless on where they are on the "main" Teams window.
    The leap from a hard-phone to a single-pane-of-glass soft-client may proven to be too much for many users in a large organizations.

• Rick Krieger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FWIW... I am yearning for this feature also. Too many clicks to move back and forth between Teams Chat (which our team is using now for all immediate / slow chat like communications) and the different teams we are working with... back and forth, back and forth.

• Liz.B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a needed feature at my work also. It would help with the conversion over from Slack, as that does not have this feature.

Ability to pop out a video or audio call into a new window so that I can browse chat conversations without the call being minimised

• Mika Berglund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You really need to enable running multiple windows of Microsoft Teams! For instance, if I'm watching / listening to a meeting recording video, I cannot do anything else with the Teams client.

The same goes for anything else in Teams too, and the more things we can accomplish with Microsoft Teams, the more annoying it gets when we have to finish one thing before we can continue with the next.

At a minimum, in every place where there is a "get link to this" and "get link to that", you should have the option of opening that link in a new window.

Also, chats and meetings should be possible to open in a new window, because that is just the way we work - Participate in one meeting while asking something from somebody not in the meeting.

Skype provides a feature called 'Pop out' that allows conversations to be 'pulled apart' so multiple chat sessions can be viewed simultaneously

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

looking forward to individual chat windows - any ETA? Thanks

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Peter Skillman, the Skype 8 design lead, is actually sharing screenshots of what they are doing to restore multi-window mode:

https://twitter.com/peterskillman/status/1029738845170888704

As Skype 8 is also a Microsoft product built on Electron, perhaps you could (a) ask to share their code, or at least get an explanation of how it works to save you some time, and (b) share some screenshots as you go.

Feedback and Knowledge Base