How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Multi-window for chats and more

I want to have separate top-level windows for each person I'm chatting with, rather than tabs.

6,996 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeffrey Tippet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

It has been three months since the last update, so checking in here to let you know this is still being actively worked on. I really appreciate your patience as we work on this.

I hope you’re all enjoying the holidays, and have a very Happy New Year!

Thanks,
Suphatra

722 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Soon please. This is critical to how I work. Along with needing to have meetings in individual windows so the meeting is not lost when you interact with various chats and documents.

Definitely need something to organize these chats better! Pop-out option ALSO a MUST for functionality!!!

• Jo Sims commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really needed ASAP so that you can have video calls and continue to chat seemlessly

• Lana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really need the individual chat screens, as it was before!!

• Genevieve Blain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will this be done. We definitely need this especially for meetings. Very inconvenient to have just a tiny window of a screen share because you need to answer a chat

• Jonathon Wyza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use Teams as a virtual office and frequently have video up with the team all day, so having the ability to pop out the video as well as chat would be a massive improvement.

absolutely necessary feature to be able to call and use other functionalities of Teams simultaneously... critical for PBX replacement

Will this only apply to private chats or would this be a feature that also works for multiple collaboration threads you are working on at a time. We want to be able to use this for collaborative technical support and some of our leads need to watch more than one "room" at a time as do the management team.

• Bryan Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is really needed. Constantly positing In the wrong private chat window when having multiple private chats at the same time.

Yeah me too. Need to also open multiple windows because I could be switching back and forth between the meeting window and wanting to look at planner tasks without having to switch around. Additional Browser tabs help but not when you're switching between organisations. Right click on teams icon and open a new window would be great. S4B works well here for chats and calls because I can keep that open and navigate the teams app.

Something like this would be great for us too - as a bid writer we normally would have a word document open with responses that need to be copy/pasted into an online portal. We have just started using Teams to manage bid projects and we are including the portal website as a tab, plus the files that would hold our responses. However if you copy a response and click on the portal tab it clears and resets the online form each time you have to click off it and go back into the word doc.
    So either allowing a split screen set up within Teams or a pop out screen would be a massive benefit!

• Phill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah., personal chats I can manage tabs, but when I have a meeting, and i'm watching a screen share, I need to be able to chat with managers, etc, behind the seen without loosing the view.

Everyone will want this capability once they join a meeting in Teams and want to have individual Chats going on with others. Today Teams will drop the meeting view to a little window and it gets very confusing to go back and forth between individual chats and the active meeting.

• James N. Rzepka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Stephen. Like Skype for Business, there should be an option to turn it on/off. I'll likely always have my chat windows separate, but none the less, I understand the importance for the flexibility.

• Pablo Caro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good stuff to have. Specially in calls, separate shared window and video of the other person

• Stephen Steiner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hoping this is optional and on-demand. I don't want 100 chat windows cluttering my desktop, but would like to be able to pop-out selected chats so as not to interfere with other tasks, such as wiki editing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base