How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Multi-window for chats and more

I want to have separate top-level windows for each person I'm chatting with, rather than tabs.

6,996 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeffrey Tippet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

It has been three months since the last update, so checking in here to let you know this is still being actively worked on. I really appreciate your patience as we work on this.

I hope you’re all enjoying the holidays, and have a very Happy New Year!

Thanks,
Suphatra

722 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jeremy Morel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello. Do you have any update or an expected timeline? This is an important feature for us and the users we support.

• Ranjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add a separate popup window featuer for Chat instead of just another tab in main App. Extremely important for working efficiently on Teams platform.

• Doug A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please get pop-out windows for Teams. I was forced to switch over and this is a serious shortcoming.

• David Hernandez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 2 screens and with a active call going on if i switch to chats my call window becomes minimized, i want the ability to still have a call fullscreen with a screenshare session but still be able to chat with other team members without having a tiny screen.

• Debbie Tam Mckenzie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want to say I too would like popup windows for Teams chat. The side panel is very inefficient and it is very easy to accidently send a message to another person if you have multiple chats with that person participating. For example, I might have a group chat with John and a separate private chat with John. I can see John's name in the panel twice but if I'm looking too quickly, I can send a message to John in the group chat accidentally that was meant privately. It really shouldn't be that easy to do.

• Lucas Cury commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jul 31, 2019 will be the 1-year anniversary of "This feature is now actively being worked upon"

• David Pivar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed that separate tabs/windows for each function (Activity, Chat, Teams, Meetings etc.) would be a great feature!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra... updates please? Now best part of 6 months from your "it's actively being worked on" post... doesn't seem very active...

• Michael Getter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice to be able to detach MS Teams chat into a separate window and resize it and move around. Impossible to chat about things in other MS Teams tabs if you cannot access anything else in Teams while chatting. Come on, guys! and you want us to migrate from SkypeFB to this?

• M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been 6 months since you're "it's been 3 months post"... I mean how long can this take, these are paid services and it certainly should have been including when it shipped. Updates say more than twice a year would be appreciated.

• fronty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a basic feature I can't believe the product shipped without it, why do software designers make so many fundamental design errors, it's not rocket science?!!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base