How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Multi-window for chats and more

I want to have separate top-level windows for each person I'm chatting with, rather than tabs.

8,286 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeffrey Tippet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

877 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Michael Cross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The inability to have separate chat and meeting windows is slowing full adoption of Teams. Its much easier to continue to use Skype for chat while using Teams solely for meetings.

• LynnL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm impatiently waiting for the ability to undock the chat in Teams!! ;-) Whether I'm looking at a file, in a meeting, or chatting with someone else via teams, it's so disorienting to have to move away from that in order to answer a chat. When it comes to document review or edit, having to move out of the doc to answer a chat is a negative impact on my productivity because I have to leave the doc, then the window changes, then once I've answered the chat, re navigate to the files, find it, open it, and then find my place in the doc again.

While I'm talking about it, I would like to be able to open a file in Teams and see it in a different pane or tab or whatever than the Teams meeting window.

• Jeff B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like to be able to tear-off Chat windows and have multiple windows sitting on my second monitor throughout the day. Chat is a great too and as it use to be in Skype, able to have multiple chat windows open at one time, that function seems to be gone 3 versions ago. Miss it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like this feature has been in the pipeline since late 2017. Any chance we can get some transparency for when it will be available? Lots of folks are holding migration plans on this one item. Thanks in advance!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree that multi window or pop windows will make it easier to navigate. Working on a document in Teams, and then getting a chat message and clicking on the chat, and then taking you out of the document is very distracting, as you may forget what you were doing and then have to navigate your way back to the document. Not ideal when you are member of several teams as well. Make it more click friendly, and give us less clicks.

• Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams has so many features packed into one interface, we need to be able to open up things separately. Not only chat, but also documents, tabs, meetings, planner, etc.

• Heidi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, having to flip between chats is actually making it more difficult to communicate than when we used Skype. I would love to have different windows for each chat, along with the ability to close out a conversation and have a separate CHAT function so I don't have to constantly switch out of whatever I'm working on in Teams to read a chat

• Matt Ruma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I saw the Pop-Out option in Teams ... it was awesome ... but now I don't see it?! Where did it go?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are (unfurtunately) moving from Skype for Business (and SP) to using teams.... pfff back-in-time wrt functionality... Just copy the basic functionality of skype and then improve further....

• pam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

want separate windows for chat so that you can have a conference call chat and still be able to chat with others without switching between the 2.

• blanchsb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

Teams should have the ability to Mult-Window at minimum within the app or allow multiple instances of the app to run (to do chat on one, etc.....).

• Eric Richards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm finding that if someone messages me, it's very easy to miss the notifications that they are trying to talk to me, if I'm not paying close attention to the Teams client at all times. The toast notification only shows for a few seconds, and then it gets lost in the scrum of badge notifications on the Chat or Activity tab icons. And this is with a very small organization, where we don't have more than a half-dozen active users.

With Skype for Business/Lync, if you miss a toast notification when somebody tries to IM you, after 15 or 30 seconds, the chat would just open up in a new window(I always turn off the tabbed chat conversations for this reason). It's much harder to miss when the incoming chat takes up that screen real-estate and also spawns a new taskbar button for the window.

• Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams really needs to have a pop out function for chat. It is very frustrating to have my planner closed out when I want to speak to someone. They should have a pop out from the meeting too.

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is extremely common that I want to work in one Teams window, while chatting or doing something else in another, or quickly move back and forth between many tabs/windows/Teams/channels/chats. Currently, the only way to do this is to also open each in a separate Teams web session in different browser tabs. Clearly, we should get at least as good an experience with the dedicated app, and preferably better than falling back to a web browser. At least let us open multiple separate Teams Windows.

Making the current situation worse, the tabs don't hold their state. This means that even though I can navigate between tabs/activities in Teams, it's slow, as it reloads the newly selected tab. This makes it really miserable to actually get work done in Teams. It's fine and great if you're only in 1 Team and only use 1 tab in 1 channel or only want to talk with 1 person, but beyond that Teams is crippled.

• Sean Westberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only Microsoft could spend a year "Actively working" on a basic functionality item only to roll back to "exploring the best solution" after a year of "active work".

Teams must be a pile of spaghetti code.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 43 44

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.