How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Multi-window for chats and more

I want to have separate top-level windows for each person I'm chatting with, rather than tabs.

4,237 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeffrey Tippet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

It has been three months since the last update, so checking in here to let you know this is still being actively worked on. I really appreciate your patience as we work on this.

I hope you’re all enjoying the holidays, and have a very Happy New Year!

Thanks,
    Suphatra

475 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Craig Chiffers - blog.chiffers.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many of my customers are asking for this. They've specifically requested:

* Being able to double-click a conversation to have it pop-out in a new chat window.
        * To have tabbed conversations in that pop-out window, if more than one chat is happening
        * To be able to open multiple documents within tabs at the same time
        * to be able to view multiple teams at the same time, in tabs that they can flip between.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we want to implement this in our company using Microsoft Teams.. will help a lot of users work for example in Excell and chat in the lower corner with the team group

• Amanda Phelps commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excited to hear this feature is in the works!!
        If you're needing beta testing or user feedback, our Enterprise of ~250 users would be willing to user test and provide feedback regularity.
        - Fellow Developer

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on - how long is it now -- where is your continuous development/release cycle -- stuck in the past like this product. TEAMS is becoming less and LESS useful it is a regression.

• Greg Tilford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad this is still being worked on. It is a significant shortcoming of Teams compared to Skype. I may have a dozen or more chat windows open on Skype at a time today. It is difficult to do multiple conversations on Teams today.

• Martin Kirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature needs to be restored to Skype as soon as possible. The lack of it makes the application useless for serious use.

Agree 100% with Ross below, most of our clients VC rooms (by our design) have multiple monitors specifically so content can be placed on one and the participant video streams in the other. Really need this feature as its holding up adoption.

this is strange. When every new release software became worse and worse. In the beginning Skype was amazing and now every release made it worst.
        Why you removed separate chat window in the first place? What the reason for that?

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad this is being worked on. For me, the lack of this feature completely undermines the potential of this software.

• David Boley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As one of my colleagues put it, "It is Kind of funny that the company that branded "Windows" has now reverted to cramming everything into one client. Somewhat defeats the purpose of a windows based UI..."

• Jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where are we in the process of this being rolled out? I sure hope it is soon because adoption is hindered by this issue.

• Alex Carlock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this. I can echo other comments that I ignore notifications and chats because I lose my context when moving around the application. Teams reduces multitasking (maybe that's the goal, make us focus on one thing at a time more?). I typically pop out documents and work using the Desktop applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) instead of working within Teams because of this.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24

Feedback and Knowledge Base