How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Configure app start up behavior

It would be great if I can decide how the app starts up, like start up at boot but minimized, start up at boot maximized, do not start up at boot, etc..

463 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dave shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Switching status to “completed” from “We have this”.

Hi everyone,

We do have this feature!
    In order to have the Teams application start in the background you will need to set these two items.

Under Settings, within Teams, you need to select both of these options:
    1) Auto-start application
    2) Open application in background

If those two are selected, upon restart of the OS when you first login in, the Team app should start in the background and only appear in hidden application bar and not on the main Taskbar.

Please NOTE: If you exit the Teams application, then click the Teams’ icon to launch the app, it will now load in the foreground. The background start up is only when you first log into the OS and the application automatically launches in the background.

-Warren

119 comments

Comments are closed
    • Brantly Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like to be able to deploy this to our user base and have a switch or a registry key or something to set it to run on start up but set behavior to run in background. Only because it's annoying on startup and for all our users to have to go in and set it manually is a lot of work and i'm positive we will get many calls because of it.

• Paul Deasy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

{Bump} Any updates on this?
      Any indication on when we can see an registy or GPO setting that we can use to launch the client in a minimised/background mode ?

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone found a way to deploy this, so that it starts in a minimised state and doesn't dominate the display. We are trying very hard to find a solution. As the last comment said "A GPO or registry entry that can be set to take this out of the users hands".

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see an enterprise solution for this. A GPO or registry entry that can be set to take this out of the users hands.

• Blinken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't set application to open full screen, or open in last window state it was closed in (minimized, maximized, window location, etc.).

• Ty Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to configure this when we deploy out to our end user. How is this done??

Why will the Desktop client not open when off-line? It shows a connection error and prompts for a restart - not particularly elegant. Why not cache recent conversations?

• István commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
      Is there a way to set Teams launch in background in mass deployment? We install it via SCCM. Is a command switch exists for that?

• Jose segura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In large environments like our school district we need an msi installer that provides switches/syntax that allow us to deploy the application with these items already configured by default. We usually configure the default settings for applications we deploy then give the staff the ability to modify if they want. Most people don't want applications like Teams to auto-start unless it's minimized. If we don't set these settings by default, the staff generally get annoyed and request us to uninstall.

• Donald Plaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ben Stone, it works fine for me. Teams shows in the Notification Area of the Taskbar, which is where I want it.

• Ben Stone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think you’re misunderstanding. The requirement is not for the app to open up in the background. It’s to have it start minimised to the system tray, i.e.: The app is running, but it’s not visible on the desktop at all. That is a feature you don’t provide.

• Marc Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Presently I cannot get this working.
      Under Application I see Auto-startup, Open app in background and on close keep application running. All are selected.
      I'll send you logs in just a few.

After a recent update Teams no longer starts minimized. No amount of futzing with options seems to rectify the issue.

• Pete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm still unable to get Teams to auto-start. In settings I have ticked "Auto-start" and "Open application in background" and "On close, keep application running".

I'm running version 1.0.00.34151 (64 bit), updated 15/12/2017 on a Windows 10 desktop.

If I forget to open Teams in the morning, I only realise I'm missing messages when I get email notifications that I'm "missing all the action"...

• Jose segura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to install Microsoft Teams for all users on a computer and not have it auto-start by default. Currently the Teams app has to be installed for each user than it defaults to auto-start. If we delete the auto-start key from the HKEY Local User then it is recreated anytime a user opens the app. Please stop forcing users to have the app open up by default.

I have the same problem. Have the box checked but it still doesn´t start automaticly.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base