How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Hide the reply button under every message

The "reply" button is WAY too large under each message. I recommend either making the button just a smaller icon and off to the side of a message, or only showing it on hover.

1,984 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  Warren responded  · 

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. This item has been declined. There will be no work to hide or remove the reply button.

As many people have commented, a big ask is to help improve how people distinguish between giving a reply and starting a new message.
For that the focus will be on this item. “Better visual delineation between `Reply` and `Start a new conversation`”
http://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/19224826

196 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally absurd UI design that I'm forced to see "<- Reply" multiple times on screen and wasting 1/4+ of my window height.

Furthermore it's awful customer service that this request was declined with so many votes - obviously there's a UX problem here which needs to be addressed!!

• Mariusz Kosmatka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been using Microsoft Teams at my current company and the 'reply' button is a MAJOR problem from the UX perspective. As other people have pointed out, some people choose to reply to individual messages, others do not. It ends up being a mess. I also agree that it takes up a considerable amount of space.

We can already have very granular conversations through the creation of new teams/channels focusing on specific things, there's no need to make it even more granular at that point. At least make it optional for upon the creation of a channel? I really don't understand how this could have been declined, seeing as it's a quite popular complaint.

well, instead of removing, we shall add multi-touch gesture, 2 fingers, to shortcut reply
    What do you think?

• Michael Kirzhner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree reply is needed. However, consider reviewing how Slack has done the post and then a thread. I can follow a thread / a post and replies vs a whole channel. That allows me to be involved in a channel topic but not the whole channel.

• Andrew Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you please move the reply button to the same line at the topic. It takes a considerable amount of space and kills flowing conversations.

• Christopher Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to admit that this is really annoying. I think the problem is that is on the left side of the box which your eyes see first which means your seeing it a lot as you scroll. Just moving it to the right side of the screen so that it's there but it's not the first thing you visually see while scrolling. I think why it's so annoying is that it is visual noise that you have to visual see then discard over and over. The focus should be on the messages and conversation, and taking action to reply to a message or conversation comes after. moving it over to the right would provide the ability to reply and take it out of peoples line of sight while scrolling. I don't agree with removing it or hiding it, but there does need to be change/rethinking here.

So many orgs looking to migrate from Hipchat and having anxiety about being forced to use threaded conversations. Give us the ability to hide the Reply button, and also to completely disable threaded conversations.

• Michael Saulters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I HATE this 'reply' thing. I don't want everything to be threaded. We have used Slack for 2 years doing everything in time-order. If the team chat is a hundred threaded topics, how can I keep up with new messages? Not to mention the wasted screen space. You've got another item with thousands of votes asking for a more compact version of the app. You could at least consider moving the 'Reply' to not take up an entire horizontal row of space. Or make it a mouse-over feature. Or allow us to set a non-threaded view so that it wouldn't be needed.

• AJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To me, reply is a very useful feature for keeping chat threads streamlined and it does not occupy too much or real estate on screen ... BTW I use Teams on Mac, not sure if UI is different from Teams on Windows.

• eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is fine. Nobody in my org even uses team chats because they're totally pointless on top of the confusing and terrible UI. We'll just stick to regular chats

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this a joke? It's not about removing this action but about not wasting too much space! I cannot understand why this is a problem. It should be obvious and should not even pass trough the Teams UI design phase...

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I notice that the reply/continue confusion is *still* coming up regularly as a problem. It especially seems to confuse new users, and once a new conversation has been started there is no way to merge it back into the flow of the original conversation. The whole multi-threaded chat interaction is an anti-pattern that needs to be rethought, so that the "reply" buttons are no longer required at all.

• AM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Declining this was a very poor decision, I feel. Teams looks very unprofessional with how much space the Reply option takes up.

Who at Microsoft is looking at this and saying....yes, this is Ok. Let's add a bunch of visual noise in between a conversation because it would make the conversation flow better??????????????????????????????????? Seriously, I want to know who this person is.

• System Administrator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nobody in my environment even uses the Teams area because the inline replies are confusing and annoying. They all just use the chat rooms generated by recurring meetings. This completely defeats the purpose of teams.

You need to undecline this, this is insane.

• Ted commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should not be declined - the reply bar is way too big, and everyone of us just now testing Teams all agree. Its a very strange decision.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.