How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Access to email from left tab panel

If there was an Outlook tab integrated on the left, similar to the Meetings tab (which is effectively the Outlook calendar), one could stay in Teams all day and not have to switch out.

3,163 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Eric Richards shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

323 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea is great as users does not have to swap between outlook and teams. It will be immersive experience.

• HD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our greatest challenge with cross company adoption (moving users off of Outlook & Skype to Outlook & Teams) is the complaint that Teams and Outlook are not integrated and therefore users cannot search their entire history of emails and conversations all in one place as they could with Outlook & Skype. Additionally, it'd be rad if the Outlook Web App had a sidebar for Teams Chat (as it does for Skype for Business).
        Thanks for your consideration!

• Zatto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a terrible idea. The whole idea behind teams is to reduce email. Also, they’re having enough trouble getting basic features into the app. Adding a full email client into it is ludicrous. There’s a feature request open for memory optimization with +4000 votes. How do you think it will fair once you add in this feature?
        Horrible idea. Keep email and chat SEPARATE.

The email option will be great help. We will be able to send out file attachments and other responses from one place. Will be time saving. This integrated feature will be very much appreciated.

If full email feature is going to be an issue, a message box that can be emailed with attachments will be a good idea.

• Clive commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If only to make it easier to email a file from Teams an attachment..

• Andy S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is going to encourage people to use Teams and stay in Teams.

If they keep teams open all day, they will more likely use an alternative communication tool that is not email.

This feature could drastically improve my workflow and reduce the app clutter on my laptop.

I work at a SaaS technology firm where e-mail is our major channel of communication with clients (we have over 5,000 client firms and 100k users). While I think Teams will increasingly take over internal communications (though it will not eliminate e-mail at a 10k person company), I think we'll be using both for a very long time. Any way to combine the e-mail experience with Teams/chat experience would be fantastic.

• Danny Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need Teams and 365 groups to show in the calendar screen of Outlook and have teams built into outlook ideally. Outlook into teams would be rather cumbersome I'd imagine

• rlambright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would prefer Teams be integrated in Outlook and stay in outlook all day. But either way, having a single pane for communication would be great.

If you build this, it'd be amazing if it could crash less often than the full version of Outlook. However, our company relies heavily on the Dynamics CRM plug-in as well as tasks and the calendar, so please don't take away functionality by integrating the two.

If the goal is 'single pane of glass', obviously the need to see EMAIL with calendar, chats, etc. is needed! I want to come in and open one app and have it all...

• Jon Bartholomew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would have to be carefully thought through. We are trying to encourage people to use Teams, so this might help. However, we also use Dynamics 365 and some users work from their email in CRM and we don't want them to access it outside of CRM. Other users must track and set regarding email appropriately using the Outlook Dynamics 365 app. Basically, we wouldn't want the ability to circumnavigate the processes in place for dealing with email.

What about at least replacing Skype 4 Business integration with Teams integration - to let users IM from Outlook messages and see contacts' status in Teams etc.

• Aaron Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be wonderful! I am trying to drag people into Teams, and having to pop back out to Outlook for e-mail is definitely a barrier to that. I am forcing myself to launch appointments from the teams calendar, and if I had e-mail, I could just close outlook altogether! Thanks Warren! I can see you're really staying on these threads with updates!

• Erik Svedén commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Understand can be nice, but rather develop Teams basic functionallity. E.g. be able to rename the General channel, group channels, group Teams.
        Maybe not right place to this, but anyway: In SharePoint, why is there not a section to see the channel conversations from Teams or at least an Icon showing there are new posts in the cannel? In my version, when I click "Konversationer" (Swedish for conversations) my Outlook online opens and display the Teams page.

• Will Suckow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! There needs to be integration between Outlook and teams the same way Skype for business is integrated with Outlook for chat, online status, scheduling, etc. We are looking at Teams but it won't truly be useful if it is a kingdom unto itself. We've tried other team apps and they have all withered because we are very MIcrosoft 365-centered for internal and external communications — Outlook in particular. You'd think MIcrosoft's first impulse would be to build strong bridges between Teams and their other apps, to make it quite natural to move from one app to another.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17

Feedback and Knowledge Base