How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Take screenshot on desktop app

One should be able to take screenshot and share in conversation thread without leaving Microsoft Teams app.

93 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

dimangal@microsoft.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Whether you are using PC or MAC you can already take a screen shot.

With PC the shortcut for a selected capture area is: SHIFT+WINDOWS_Key+S
    (this will allow you to select an area and capture it as an image to the clipboard.)
    With PC the shortcut for a entire desktop screen capture is the PRINT SCREEN button on your keyboard.

With MAC the shortcut for a selected capture area is: COMMAND+SHIFT+4
    (this will allow you to select an area and capture it as an image to the clipboard.)
    With MAC the shortcut for an entire desktop screen capture is: COMMAND+CTRL+SHIFT+3

This should meet your needs. If you feel it does not, please provide a summary in the comments as to your use case and why the OS capture tools are insufficient for your needs.

Thank you!
    -Warren

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jan Svoboda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many people don't know the Win + Shift + S shortcut, so maybe it should be mentioned directly in MS Teams somewhere in Tips & Tricks? However, it's still quite limiting. I was using IBM Sametime, and as much I disliked the app, the screenshots feature is something I really miss both in Teams and Skype for Business. Basically, I would like a very simple editor, which would allow to crop the screenshots, and add markups and notes to it, as well as copy, save and paste it into the chat. Nothing too overwhelming. But it would really help.

• Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the feature in Word/Outlook to just add a screen clip straight into where you are. I'd like that in Teams without having to save a file, I just want to say 'hey, go here then here then here' and clip, clip, clip really fast.

• Hiram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Warren,
        The shortcuts are good, except, it immediately saves as a file.
        Users might want to draw sketches, marks, etc. on the screenshot, before save it or copy it somewhere else. This is a common request, and many other softwares offer this kind of features, to ease our lives.
        I'd say it could be definitely a plus feature for Teams.

• Roady [MVP-Outlook] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren, by that reasoning, you could remove so many buttons from all applications because there are keyboard shortcut alternatives to it. You could remove the attachment icon because you can copy/paste a file or use drag/drop as well. You may also want to remove the Start menu icon in Windows considering that the Windows key is on every keyboard. Oh wait, that's been tried already... How did that go again? ;-)

Kidding aside; We techies are already fully aware of this keyboard shortcut but that is beside the point as Teams is not just for techies. We're being asked for this feature practically every day as they can easily do it in Cisco Jabber. We also see that people found their own workaround by using the Snipping Tool, save the file, and then attach it. Obviously, they find it cumbersome and still complain about this missing feature.

A communication and collaboration tool needs to be quick and intuitive. Being able to share screen clippings is an essential part of this but it is quite clear that how to do it is not intuitive for the intended audience of Teams.

We'd really like you to reconsider your stance on this and provide a dedicated button to insert screen clippings. Thanks in advance!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Warren - good to see that someone from Microsoft got the point. SHIFT+WINDOWS_Key+S is the function we need and indeed we are able to use it.
        Howsoever the end-user will not be willing to keep such shortcuts in mind; they need a simple feature-button!

• Danny Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We know how to make a screenshot. What we'd prefer is to automatically attach it to a message within teams to save time and be easier for the end users who aren't switched on with computing

• Stephan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think, it is not just about simply taking a screenshot - of course, this is already well implemented in both systems.

But it would be really helpful for ui-development, if it was possible to take a screenshot right out of teams - and to add notes to it (mark positions, add notes, ...). This would save a lot of the time I spend daily with taking screenshots, changing to my desktop, dragging them into any other software, make notes there, save it again and drag it then into teams...

Evernote for example is a lot handier here... as you sell your software as a tool specially for developers, you should think about such time saving tools.

• Danny Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Screensketch integration should be quite simple. A button next to the New Meeting for New sketch

• Stephan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even Powerpoint has this function! I am pretty sure, that Teams is used a lot by Developers that would be happy to share their screencapture without using other tools for doing that... Please please please - do that!!!

• Rosie Teribery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's so disappointing that there is no feedback from Microsoft on this specific request. It's such a simple tool to add the screen clip capability that MS Outlook has into the Teams app. It is such a pain to have to use a third party tool to copy and paste something in, and sometimes the paste won't work, so I have to then use a DIFFERENT third party tool to paste in. It's just so inefficient!

• Rosie Teribery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We migrated from Jabber to Teams and while there a lot of features where Teams is better, this is one feature I used EXTENSIVELY in Jabber. Yes I can use Snippet or SnagIt, but the inability to just click a button to grab a screenshot is inefficient. We need a way to do this on the fly.

• Dan M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Screen clippings should be supported (from things like snipping tool, snagit, or the OneNote screen clipper) and should be able to paste directly into conversation. When you do this, it SHOULD NOT save the image as a file in the SharePoint site as that really clutters things up on the SPO side.

Yes, this would be very helpful! Like in MS word, the 'screen clipping' button under the 'insert' menu is very useful. This function in TEAMS would be a very good addition.

• Shoichi Toyama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love this feature to be implemented. Outlook has a button to add a screenshot. I want a button to take a screenshot and add to chat/conversation.

• Nick Scalone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an amazing feature. I often have to send a quick snip of my screen to someone, so this would be very beneficial. Cisco Jabber and Trillian have this feature and I use it almost everyday. Slack doesn't even have this yet, so it would be a boost over them.

• Sheldon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a welcomed feature and should work like in MS Office using the Screen Clipping tool. What say you?

Shouldn't be too hard to bring the basic functionality of "Snipping Tool", but without needing to save and then upload the file. We have this feature in Cisco Jabber, which is also used on our network.

• Marty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not just a screenshot. Should be able to highlight text, add text, circle opbects. Just like IBM Sametime allows.

• Brandon Deriso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On MacOS / OS X, use the following keyboard shortcut to screenshot only the current app (Microsoft Teams in this case):

⌘-Shift-4, then press the Space Bar.

This will allow you to hover your mouse over the app to screenshot and left-click to save the image.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base