How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

5,444 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

776 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gaétan Collaud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company tried to enforce the use of Microsoft Teams. But since some developers have Linux, we (developers) choose to use Slack instead (the free version). It works great for us. And the rest of the company can continue using teams. But it's bad for communication between teams. I'm very disappointed with this decision.

• Jan Izydorczyk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In a world where MS has native Linux clients it would have lived very well. But here...
        Please reconsider this development.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This user voted item needs to be re-evaluated. Just look at the number of votes and comments. This is a highly requested feature and it needs to be done.

• Maciej Michałek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very dissapointing. I understand, why there is no Excel/Word on Linux, but in terms of communication platform one of it main requirements is broad support and access, so no one is discriminated.

This being declined is not a good thing. I guess our developers who use Linux have to create a new rogue communications channel via Slack or Discord

well that is sad. So how are Linux users expected to work with collegues that use microsoft teams? That is a very bad decision.
        Why not at least make the video conference available in chromium so that at least webapps would work?
        Otherwise appear.in makes a better job than microsoft.

• flob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft just supports Linux where it can make money.

Moving to Mattermost.

This is just a bad and selfish decision.
        Hence why most of the OSS community pre-"MS-LOVES-LINUX" are still highly sceptical about what MS is doing with OSS.

Decisions like these highlights the true colors of MS making it seem like all MS OSS 'contributions' are simply just for their own benefit/profit and to save their own skin.

Thanks for giving the finger to Linux again MS, like with Skype when you took over it.

Wish I didn't help switch our company to Teams and stayed with Slack, even though we were already using the Office365 suite.
        Now our linux users have to live with a crippled browser experience.

• Timo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft would have money to write a Linux client if they wanted. This decision just confirms that they aren't as open-source friendly company as they claim to be.

• Hubert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With this decision we don't wait for the Linux client anymore. We'll have to switch to other communication software.

• Vinícius Ferrão commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be reconsidered, Microsoft is a company with plenty of money to build a Linux version. This is unacceptable. The whole pitch of Office365 and the new Microsoft phase is to be compatible. Linux is a need on IT, no longer a niche thing.

• Andrew Speer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wish I had another option but this more than likely means I'm now going to be forced into using Windows in my role as a linux/unix administrator...

This is really disappointing given how much Microsoft is putting into the community on other fronta

• Colleen Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

5,354 is a ton of votes for Microsoft to ignore. I guess Teams won't be the "Slack Killer" at my company and that's a shame.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Heh.. Linux support denied. Well.. guess we'll stick with Slack.

More reason why our company is moving away from all Microsoft products. Truly a sad day, but probably for the best seeing how much personal information Microsoft is harvesting from it's OS users these days.

Feedback and Knowledge Base