">

How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

7,792 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

1003 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since it's an electron app this shouldn't be too hard. In fact if you reach out to Alan Pope (Twitter: @popey) from Canonical, he can help you distribute this as a Snap which would allow it to be installed on all Debian and Fedora based distributions. Alan is known to help companies of all sizes create and distribute using Snaps.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updated status? It's been 4 months since any official updates. Where is this on the backlog?

Suphatra - how many days do you expect this to be on the backlog? Is there a specific number of user-counts you will need before this achieves critical mass and is considered for active development?

• Rene Steen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Christian Bourque have a look at my chrome extension. It enables oneToOne calls in Chrome ;)

• Christian Bourque commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous! With Chrome 72 under Linux Mint I can already join Microsoft Teams meetings with FULL audio support (without faking the user agent as previously suggested by some people)!!! The only thing that doesn't work is calling a contact directly! But if it's working for a meeting, it should work for one-to-one conversations as well (I can make it work by faking the user agent though)!

So, basically, it's already working, why is Microsoft blocking some feature based on the user's browser? You could fix this in like 1-2 days of work!!!??!

• Rene Steen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have created a chrome extension that enables the calling function for MS Teams for chrome. This feature + the browser notifications enables you partially to use ms teams. You can find the extension here:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enable-teams-calling/ifgnnjhhfdpjpjokajkolhioakajhidc

Basically it sets a value in the settings that enables this function:
    angular.element(document).injector().get('callingSupportService').oneOnOneCallingEnabled = true
    angular.element(document).injector().get('settingsService').appConfig.enableCallingChromeOneOnOne = true

This would be absolutely amazing. Teams and VS Code are top tier apps. Making this available for linux would be incredible. This is the only thing missing from linux right now -- for me anyways.

I would really appreciate a complete Linux support. In the first step a full browser support (including teams & Videochat & Desktop sharing) would be great!
    Cheers, Patrick

• Gael S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a pain to use the web version: the one to one call does not work :-(
    Looking forward for the Linux client...

This missing client is giving me a huge pain because my dev-team has huge problems with internal communication

Product Owner Suphatra seems to move over to Amazon AWS.
    Who is in charge for the Teams Development Roadmap now?
    Linux client is still a must, at least please remove the browser check...

It's been a while since your last update.... What's next? Want to get rid of Slack, but I'm not allowed as long as there is no fully featured client for linux... (yes, I know that chatting via browser is already working...)

Hey Guys, hurry up. We are loosing our Linux Users. We need a full client with Screensharing included. Speed up and start developing

Feedback and Knowledge Base