How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

6,258 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

859 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Javier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Suphatra.

Personally, I appreciate your feedback about this request but, honestly, it does not make sense to have this request in backlog if it's not actively worked.

Hopefully you can give us good news soon, although if after two years we haven't received anything, I do not now what to think.

Regards

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra,
        Many thanks for your commitment.
        I hope an official client is going to be released soon. We are eagerly awaiting for it.
        A "Working on it" tag on this old old request, would make my day !

Great news that it's back in the backlog. While waiting for the official client, I'm using the unofficial Electron wrapper which can be found in Github. There's also user agent override for Edge, which means I can use voice & video calls. Only important missing feature is screen sharing.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad it's on the backlog again. But given that the top request (Private channels) is already in "working on it" state, and has been there for over 600 days, it would be good to have an ETA. Otherwise we're just as much in limbo as before, just with a different label.

For so many features, we feel like Charlie Brown, and MS is Lucy with the football.

if you want people to adopt Teams and move from platforms like Hipchat/Slack etc... you need to give them the tools to evaluate and a Linux client is definitely needed. Two years in the backlog that is really disappointing from Microsoft. Would have thought they saw this opportunity a long time ago. Microsoft wake up please.

• Vincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Timeframe would be great. There are a few Teams/Electron wrapper projects - I use one of them and I can get Audio / Video calls etc. What is missing for me is enabling the desktop sharing. Would be great to have that in place. Looks like this feature doesn't work on Edge on Windows either so it needs to be enabled on the web.

I'm evaluating Flock instead of Teams for our company. They are not as feature rich but at least they have a working beta product for Linux and stable apps for the rest.

• Hugh Catterall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

48 hours later and we are back where we were... glad its not declined but there is no further information then what we had two days ago...

• Romain LAURENT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Imagine a world where :
        - Iphone can only send message to other iphones
        - Facebook is only working on android phones
        - Skype is just for windows PC
        - Samsung refuse to send SMS to non-Samsung phones

NONSENSE - none of this technologies spreads with such model in mind.

Teams is about communication and teams!

Actually Teams on linux is not blocked by technical issues but business decision.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for not ignoring the needs of many potential Teams users. News, which are more frequent than in the past, even if they are small news, are very welcome.

Right.. on the backlog is better than dead. If you can, please provide an update sooner rather than later with some timeframes. This is one of your top issues and I think to address this will only provide Teams with a more robust solution for all.

• AL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, thanks for un-declining.

It’s when all users are able to participate that Teams becomes a true team collaboration space.

• Michael Hofmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was really shocked to see that this was (temporarily) 'declined'.
        And then I saw this: http://nelkinda.com/blog/microsoft-teams-on-linux/

What I'm asking myself:
        How can it be that creating an Electron wrapper application is such a difficult task that it takes more than one year to build? Electron is made for cross-platform applications! And yes, that includes video and audio capabilities.

If you could share with the community what the *actual* *technical* issues are, people might be more understanding.

• Jacob Palm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news! Linux support would certainly help the adoption of Teams in many organizations that rely on Linux for some workloads.

• Teams-Flyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linux is important to integrate many technical People into the Company communication … please rethink this decision

Feedback and Knowledge Base