How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

7,062 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

915 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely essential. My team is made up of a mixture of Linux and Windows users.

• come.on commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be kinda smart to actually have a Linux installer when it says "download for Linux" Instead of a damn .EXE file.. you are giving my hopes up and just breaking it Down in an Instant :(

• Hannes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really a must have, you need to get notified when there is a message on a chat. This could also be done by using the notifications api like in chrome

• Graeme Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest wall I just hit with my dev team was this exact thing. Hipchat has a Linux client too, and people have complained about the web client being sluggish.

People also accidentally close a browser tab down and then they forget about it.

Linux client please!

• William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If there was a linux client, none of our development staff would have a leg to stand on on why we should not use this product over Slack.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree a Linux client is a MUST. Throw in a fully functioning Skype client as well. We have a handfull of devs that have Linux desktops, and we're moving to a full SfB UC system. Supporting Linux is a must have.

Also an additional black eye is that when you visit the Team site on Linux to use the web portal, a download button is at the top stating the Linux client is better and faster. That's great! Then click on the button and it downloads a Windows .exe install file. Hhmmm.

• Michael Baumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We still need a fully featured Skype for Business solution for Linux. There's now a chance to integrate everything (including voice/video (group) chats and screen-sharing) into a Teams Linux client that integrates into Office 365 and works x-platform. If that is still not happening, I don't see how you will be able to compete with slack, Hangouts etc.

• Simon Ransome commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would support the case for a Linux client - webapps are fine in an emergency or for occasional ad-hoc use, but they are often very poor at notifications, so I find I tend to miss a lot of stuff that's going on.

• Zoheb Ishfaq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The SwiftKey team would greatly benefit from a native Linux client, as we have a large Linux user base too.

• Kyle Frazer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this would be useful. The webapp is a passable stopgap on Linux, but it doesn't have proper notification support (on my setup, at least).

• Arden Shackelford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Though, to play devils advocate here (Though I agree with OP), most people have a web browser open anyway. So really, having a desktop client is actually the thing that's causing people to have "one more thing" open.

1 2 42 43 44 46 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base