How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

7,792 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

1003 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Johan Vendrig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disappointing! - We are are development shop that uses Windows, MAC and Linux. Not having a full linux client is really getting in the way of making this a corporate tool across the organisation. It is great to see feature parity between the Windows and Mac clients - no having this for Linux is a big gap to convince the development community to take this up across the board.

• Drew Gilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another Office 365 team here struggling to see any evidence that "Microsoft Loves Linux". No office suite, no outlook, no onedrive, no skype for business, no teams

• James Kregar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a native Linux client is something that cannot be delivered, then can we possibly look at an IRC gateway? The huge number of IRC clients out there would mean that most users could find one they like (if they don't already have a favorite) and it would be a protocol implementation, not attempting to produce a full native client for several distros (and their variations in package managers, window managers, etc.).

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18639472-irc-gateway

• Justin Daniels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are having to use our phones for notifications in teams. It is awkward to have to go check your phone to see a notification then go find an open tab for teams, log in if you've been kicked out or you just lost the tab, and then search for what just happened. It makes you regret having to use Teams at all. Skype was awesome in comparison, but Skype didn't fit a growing company.

We're all hoping a native linux client runs a little better than the slow web version, but we will settle for notifications that don't look like you are constantly on your phone to have a conversation with someone.

Please don't nix this one.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is bad that this issue under review again. Please implement Linux client because we need it.

• Seth Tanner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linux client would be very helpful, with Apple's current disdain for power users and dell offering solid supported Linux options we are seeing more developers move to Linux. It would be great if you could start with a client for Debian derivatives and one for RedHat derivatives. This will be especially important once external access and federation is done, as it will open the tent to a much larger user base. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16911109-external-access-and-federation

I'd like to echo many of the recent comments. 100% of our developers are on Linux boxes. Collaboration in our world is all or nothing. Meaning we can't have our PM team disconnected from Dev. As such, Slack works great for us now. I fully appreciate the overhead and developing against a different OS, but this is critical for us to move to Teams. I suspect the larger issue for you is licensing. Pretty tough to require an Office 365 license for a Linux user when the only benefit to the license would be the Teams client itself. Clearly, additional consideration into Teams licensing will be involved. Thanks for listening and I really hope this gets put back on the front burner.

• Einar Fredriksen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our main request is Notification on Linux. If you guys are able to find a way to notify Linux users that they must check their MS Chat, then we're fine waiting for a full-blown Linux client.

Of course, by Notification I do not mean email :)

• Kevin Ruschman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MANY developers (other than MS employees obviously) exclusively use Linux. This is an absolute must as the web application does not notify very well or at all as in Chromium.

my team has now switched from slack to teams, and I'm stuck because you guys as always make your software compatible with all platforms except linux. I'll probably be experimenting with open source alternatives until you guys get it right. while you're at it how about outlook or skype for business for linux?

+1 for this. Although given the choice I'll be happy to continue to run this in a browser if it was a choice between that and Lync/Video integration for Linux working.

• Cathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please bring this back! I don't want my Linux team to feel like second class citizens for everything they do with Microsoft! Also a lot of them have problems with the browser not being recognized properly and not allowing them to log in if it isn't recognized

Does the web app have all the features of the desktop app? Allowing calls, group calls, screen sharing etc? If not, then I think a native linux client is more than just a nice to have.

If you are having issues with dependencies and the variability of distros (wild guess), why not do a containerised version? Microsoft does work with docker these days.

• Lukas Lani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

now, when there is web client/interface out, this is not so critical anymore. Only as nice to have.

• Brent Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a Linux version is an absolute must for us, in our industry / company we have more Linux than Windows machines and not having a Linux version is causing me a lot of issues. I am being challenge our head of Dev to consider going back to Slack as the main company comms tool, which I do not want to do, but I need a time line for the Linux version.

I think Teams is a great tool and still very embryonic, when it is more mature it will rock over all others.

Thanks Suphatra

• Maciej Michałek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You've got to be kidding. No Linux client? What is here to review? Lot's of developers are using Linux, we need client for them, otherwise TEAMS will be useless.

• Mario Toffia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For us this is the no #1 thing that slack still is in wide use in my company. We got lots of Linux developers and as long as they don't have a native Linux client we're stuck with slack... Hard to argue in that case.

Cheers,
    Mario

• Vyacheslav Lanovets commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support for Linux is very important for our company. While majority of employees use only Windows, especially in Sales, many engineering teams are mixed. Linux client and external users support are both very important.

Feedback and Knowledge Base