How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

7,062 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

915 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't forget an IRC gateway like Slack has. Not Linux specific, but generally related.

• Damien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to migrate from Slack to Teams, this is a real problem for our 45% Linux users in our team.
        Please, think about making a native Linux (Ubuntu distrib) client and communicate about it if you planned to do so.

Thanks a lot!

this will be a great idea. You can start with only text IM's , no need in the first release for video/audio

• T.v. Vignesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for a Linux Client (or at least web based one). There is no way to access microsoft teams like how we access office365

The first step would be to at least get Linux browsers to work without needing to spoof anything

If this is done, then I can get rid of wine & most of all any thought of getting Apple's overpriced / underwhelming notebooks!
        Also, I can ditch Libre!

• Jochem Fuchs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"If there was a linux client, none of our development staff would have a leg to stand on on why we should not use this product over Slack."

That, I think is far from the truth. Slack is still the superior product by far. Just the fact that it supports multiple tools for every functionality Teams offers. And easy extensibility.

Microsoft is showing that it is serious about competing with Slack, and I think Teams is making a good start, but the failure to support Linux from the start ( especially considering they've been working on a new Skype client for Linux for months, so they have a place to start ) is unacceptable.

But there are far more caveats in Teams which I hope they'll solve soon. ( Code snippets ).
        Unless they don't care about supporting the developer communities. In which case devs should and will stay on tools like Slack.

• Elric Hindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A big requirement for our team, the web app works well for the moment but is missing the key feature of voice and video chat that are marked as 'coming soon'. However local clients always win out.

@Arden yes, but you need to spoof the User-Agent as all versions of Chromium on Ubuntu are "unsupported" by Teams

This is pretty annoying, and requires an additional extension for Chromium to spoof the User-Agent. Firefox 49 on Ubuntu works without spoofing.

Regardless of the above, +1 for a native Linux client.

• Leigh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think they get it. Note that the requestor is a Microsoft employee.
        I do agree, though, that when the W3C Notifications API is complete, apps can use that to provide a consistent notification experience on Linux.
        As mentioned, I hope the Linux client is not teased and then not available, though. If it is only teased, please remove the link so you're not infuriating people.

• Tobias Loewenhofer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us that Client - there is a huge base of Devs worldwide which are still using Slack and that would be an Killerargument to switch!

Feedback and Knowledge Base