How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

7,414 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

954 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kevin Ruschman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MANY developers (other than MS employees obviously) exclusively use Linux. This is an absolute must as the web application does not notify very well or at all as in Chromium.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my team has now switched from slack to teams, and I'm stuck because you guys as always make your software compatible with all platforms except linux. I'll probably be experimenting with open source alternatives until you guys get it right. while you're at it how about outlook or skype for business for linux?

+1 for this. Although given the choice I'll be happy to continue to run this in a browser if it was a choice between that and Lync/Video integration for Linux working.

• Cathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please bring this back! I don't want my Linux team to feel like second class citizens for everything they do with Microsoft! Also a lot of them have problems with the browser not being recognized properly and not allowing them to log in if it isn't recognized

Does the web app have all the features of the desktop app? Allowing calls, group calls, screen sharing etc? If not, then I think a native linux client is more than just a nice to have.

If you are having issues with dependencies and the variability of distros (wild guess), why not do a containerised version? Microsoft does work with docker these days.

• Lukas Lani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

now, when there is web client/interface out, this is not so critical anymore. Only as nice to have.

• Brent Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a Linux version is an absolute must for us, in our industry / company we have more Linux than Windows machines and not having a Linux version is causing me a lot of issues. I am being challenge our head of Dev to consider going back to Slack as the main company comms tool, which I do not want to do, but I need a time line for the Linux version.

I think Teams is a great tool and still very embryonic, when it is more mature it will rock over all others.

Thanks Suphatra

• Maciej Michałek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You've got to be kidding. No Linux client? What is here to review? Lot's of developers are using Linux, we need client for them, otherwise TEAMS will be useless.

• Mario Toffia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For us this is the no #1 thing that slack still is in wide use in my company. We got lots of Linux developers and as long as they don't have a native Linux client we're stuck with slack... Hard to argue in that case.

Cheers,
        Mario

• Vyacheslav Lanovets commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support for Linux is very important for our company. While majority of employees use only Windows, especially in Sales, many engineering teams are mixed. Linux client and external users support are both very important.

• Sam Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't abandon this. Teams wont be a viable alternative to the other similar products that provide rich Linux clients until you sort something out here. How about just permitting it to work in Chrome and utilise the Notification API?

• Matt Jenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of our developers spend all day on a Linux desktop. Not having this makes it hard to do a push to get everyone on Teams especially since everyone can use Slack. For now I'm having to post comments in both Teams and Slack so I can get my info out to everyone. :-(

Feedback and Knowledge Base