How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

8,322 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

1064 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anders Ek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just adding to what is requested: Most of our devs are on windows and like MS Teams. However we also do need to have people on linux since we deliver products on this platform. Not having proper MS Teams support on Linux is a blocker for deployment. Actually probably just support for notifications would be enough. So something giving notifications for our linux users, keeping the rest of the functionality in the web version, would probably be enough while waiting for a real client.

• M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recall that linux in-browser would be fine if, like google hangouts, it supported video and voice in-browser but it does not; no voice or video in-browser.

(in fact, we've had trouble with the sharing screen functionality even on fat clients in Windows, and especially trying to run in a VM).

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on needing this. Our team has linux users and w/o a local client (debian) we'll end up going with Slack. And NO, web-based access is not an option since it requires third-party cookies (wtf microsoft?)

• Shawn LeBlanc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of a Linux client (either desktop or web-app) is the main reason keeping my team from using Microsoft Teams. We need a way to chat within the team, but also to share our desktop/applications at times. Using multiple applications to serve this is unacceptable.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, the lack of a Linux client is the one thing stopping Teams from becoming the only app for collaboration in our organisation.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this? Business of 150 wanting to migrate from HipChat to teams, but the lack of a native linux client is stopping us!

All that is stopping us from moving away from Slack and onto teams is linux support! Please make it happen and free me from /giphy!

In all seriousness - You have many companies both large and small unable to migrate to teams purely down to a lack of linux support!

For modern web-centric IT companies a large number of core individuals will be using Linux environments. Providing Teams app native to Linux would profoundly impact the attitude of the 'IT Ninjas' to working with MS products.

• Connor Freebairn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another +1 for this, I use linux at work and would love to be able to use a native client instead of a linux work around! :)

• Kiran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With this being 2017, and ubuntu core integrated into new windows, why do we have to beg for Linux clients. Majority of our teams use linux (ubuntu/fedora), and this is a show stopper for us. until then, sorry its going to be slack for us.

Hoping this gets approved for work. We're re-writing the UI for our main application at work and will finally be able to support cross platform environments as a result. We've started using teams almost exclusively for desktop sharing / web meetings within the group which doesn't work via the web app. I have to use a user agent switcher half the time with firefox to even get web version of teams to work on my linux setup. A native linux app would remove roadblocks for developers using their system of choice for development going forward.

• Aaron Watry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The team I work in has a 20/40/40% split between windows/mac/linux. Switching from Slack to Teams is going to have some resistance without a Linux client (browser-tabs work, but they're limiting).

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A native client would be great - a pidgin plugin would be even better. I like to customize my client and have many plugins available so it works the way I want it to work.

Feedback and Knowledge Base