How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

5,880 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

826 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first step would be to at least get Linux browsers to work without needing to spoof anything

If this is done, then I can get rid of wine & most of all any thought of getting Apple's overpriced / underwhelming notebooks!
        Also, I can ditch Libre!

• Jochem Fuchs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"If there was a linux client, none of our development staff would have a leg to stand on on why we should not use this product over Slack."

That, I think is far from the truth. Slack is still the superior product by far. Just the fact that it supports multiple tools for every functionality Teams offers. And easy extensibility.

Microsoft is showing that it is serious about competing with Slack, and I think Teams is making a good start, but the failure to support Linux from the start ( especially considering they've been working on a new Skype client for Linux for months, so they have a place to start ) is unacceptable.

But there are far more caveats in Teams which I hope they'll solve soon. ( Code snippets ).
        Unless they don't care about supporting the developer communities. In which case devs should and will stay on tools like Slack.

• Elric Hindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A big requirement for our team, the web app works well for the moment but is missing the key feature of voice and video chat that are marked as 'coming soon'. However local clients always win out.

@Arden yes, but you need to spoof the User-Agent as all versions of Chromium on Ubuntu are "unsupported" by Teams

This is pretty annoying, and requires an additional extension for Chromium to spoof the User-Agent. Firefox 49 on Ubuntu works without spoofing.

Regardless of the above, +1 for a native Linux client.

• Leigh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think they get it. Note that the requestor is a Microsoft employee.
        I do agree, though, that when the W3C Notifications API is complete, apps can use that to provide a consistent notification experience on Linux.
        As mentioned, I hope the Linux client is not teased and then not available, though. If it is only teased, please remove the link so you're not infuriating people.

• Tobias Loewenhofer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us that Client - there is a huge base of Devs worldwide which are still using Slack and that would be an Killerargument to switch!

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely essential. My team is made up of a mixture of Linux and Windows users.

• come.on commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be kinda smart to actually have a Linux installer when it says "download for Linux" Instead of a damn .EXE file.. you are giving my hopes up and just breaking it Down in an Instant :(

• Hannes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really a must have, you need to get notified when there is a message on a chat. This could also be done by using the notifications api like in chrome

• Graeme Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest wall I just hit with my dev team was this exact thing. Hipchat has a Linux client too, and people have complained about the web client being sluggish.

People also accidentally close a browser tab down and then they forget about it.

Linux client please!

• William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If there was a linux client, none of our development staff would have a leg to stand on on why we should not use this product over Slack.

Totally agree a Linux client is a MUST. Throw in a fully functioning Skype client as well. We have a handfull of devs that have Linux desktops, and we're moving to a full SfB UC system. Supporting Linux is a must have.

Also an additional black eye is that when you visit the Team site on Linux to use the web portal, a download button is at the top stating the Linux client is better and faster. That's great! Then click on the button and it downloads a Windows .exe install file. Hhmmm.

Feedback and Knowledge Base