How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

5,432 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

775 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christoph Lütjen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Confused… you really create a product called "teams" that's not available for all team members (in most technical teams). That makes no sense...

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow. One of the stated benefits of using Electron is that it is cross-platform.

The problem you have here is that Teams is, well, a team product. If not everyone in the team can use it, then its usefulness as a central resource is greatly reduced. Even the web client doesn't work properly on Linux.

If workplaces have a mixture of platforms, then the probability of having at least one Linux user in at least one team approaches 100%, at which point you have to maintain two separate ways of doing things. (Assuming you want to talk to them, which I hope is a given.)

And if the other solution works for Linux users too, why not just maintain that one?

• Michael Stein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The point is: Your customers pay for your products - So bring them out of beta-status.
        If you're not able to make a native linux client, then fix the webapp.
        We payed for that!
        Bring us audio, video and screensharing. If you don't know how that works, look at nextcloud or some of the others.

• Adam Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To re-iterate many the other comments since the decline announcement, if you at least can get video calls and screen sharing working in the web client on Linux then we could live without the native client. At least do one of those things with some priority. This has been dragging on for 2 years.

• Matthias Neumeister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If at least the Web Client would support all functions, that would be a step forward. Video and screen sharing is still not possible. Why does Google get it to work with Hangouts and Microsoft doesn't?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very disappointing! You could just improve the web version of teams, would have the same effect. How come skype (free) supports everything in linux while teams (paid) seems to lock features away from linux users? How come free tools such as appear.in or hangouts support camera and screen sharing while teams does not even support showing other people's cameras!? We work in big distributed teams we need stable and reliant software to communicate - cross-platform. There were also instabilities on teams on Mac in the pastg few weeks. I will try to move back to skype or hangouts: Saving money by having a working software sounds like quite a plan...

Disappointed! Another Microsoft product that cannot be used by a lot of peoples and companies who really needs it. It seems that peoples voice doesn't matter...

• Christian Hujer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really sad. I wish that Microsoft would revise this decision.

First, let me say what I mean with Linux support. Whether it runs in a native app or in the browser, I don't mind. All I want is that when I use Linux as a developer, as I do, that I am fully enabled to use all Teams features, including audio and video conferencing and screen sharing. Whether that's native or in the browser, I couldn't care less.

As long as Teams does not support Linux, I will tell all my peers and during my talks on conferences when it comes to collaboration topics that people should stay away from Teams. The freedom of choice of operating system is important, there will always be good developers who want to use Linux for good reasons. And in 2018, with so much power in the browser, I do not see any reason why this should not be possible. Competitors like Slack or Google show that it's possible to bring audio conferencing, video conferencing, and screen sharing via the browser in Linux.

Therefore, I hope that Microsoft will revise that decision and bring a full Teams experience to Linux.

P.S.: This forum software is stupid, it disables resizing of textareas.

And this is how you lose the battle.

This item was the only hope to switch from Slack, but now everyone will just say "nope, they don't support Linux". You can tell people a thousand times that the web version is very usable, but that's not how people think.

I cannot imagine that building a Elektron app for Linux is that hard... but now that this thing got declined, that's it for our company with the product. It's a shame since I think it's the better team solution, but if not everyone of our team feels welcome, then it's nothing for us.

There wasn't even any consultation for this issue? Microsoft, Mac and PC are NOT the only operating systems out there. Linux, which you have recently put so much effort behind, is not rejected which is a farce. You want people to support your solutions yet, you only ever go "half way" when you provide them. How about this, release products when they are 100% viable for all platforms, not 2/3rds. Slack will gain so much from this because once again, you have rejected a user group to which slack supports all. Absolute madness.

By this decision you've undermined the whole point of uservoice for me. This was top 5 requested feature in here. 2 years is the reason? Well check out the first page of the uservoice, all of those are nearly 2 years old.

• Rene Greuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is more than ridiculous... Audio and Video chat is already working in Chrome on Linux when changing the user agent to:

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.140 Safari/537.36 Edge/17.17134"

So at least allow linux users to use audio and video without hiding behind a Microsoft Edge sign. Simply add linux user-agents to the whitelist of working browser/OS combinations and add a BETA logo to it.
        This concession won't devour any of your "narrow" dedicated resources.

• Gaétan Collaud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company tried to enforce the use of Microsoft Teams. But since some developers have Linux, we (developers) choose to use Slack instead (the free version). It works great for us. And the rest of the company can continue using teams. But it's bad for communication between teams. I'm very disappointed with this decision.

Feedback and Knowledge Base