How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

6,254 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

859 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow not even your GPDR form works on linux. I see your labels and submit-button but the radio buttons are invisible.

You people are just not fit to be developing anything or selling anything for that matter.
        This comment and my previous will without choice be deleted within 30 days thanks to you.

Slack is light years ahead of Teams in terms of usuability, performance and user experience. Even the Chinese make better clones than you'll ever achieve.
        If you really want to go down into the history books and truly provide a competitive alternative then GPL is the way.

There's an really easy way to fix this, Microsoft has never managed to do anything right, your main issue is that the same incompetency that cause this micro scandal is widespread in your entire company. You've never achieved anything in your life and have never done a proper release because let's face it; you're completely out of your depth.

Let the professionals handle this, just release the source under GNU GPL.
        I mean aren't you marketing yourselves as big opensource supporters nowadays?
        Time to put the money where your mouth is.

• D Freeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on a big world-wide company and we really like the idea of Teams, however the users on Linux constantly fail to notice the messages since not always have browser up, which is not viable, so I really hope the Linux client is here soon.

• Edward D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't the teams client just an Electron app anyway, even on Windows? A Linux text-only client as a first version should be a fairly straight-forward matter...

• David Grand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No rush now. We have moved on. RingCentral is our solution. Feel free to stop developing MS Teams at all.

• Mario Abarca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...or you could just improve the Teams Web App. Yesterday I configured the user agent of my browser to tell the Teams web app that I am using Microsoft Edge on Windows and voila! the video call worked just fine; all because a little lie from my side.

You really have to work on this web app: Facebook recently launched "Workplace" for business and I can make video calls and share my screen just fine. Heck! even Skype (the regular one, not for business) works well in Linux.

• Brent Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am bitterly disappointed in Teams project management team for this taking so long to make to the decision to can it, and then put it back in the car park, this was a key component to us using Office 365 and it now looks like it is completely out the window, as you have said over a year ago that it is on the backlog. I am glad others feel the same.

I will now be looking for a new product/s that completely replaces Teams or even office 365, we have been using Slack and this is growing to 150 users in our London office, and I will have to roll it out internationally soon.
        How does the head of Teams feel about being second to Slack?

As the CIO of a multi-OS organization that is largely MS-based from a tools perspective, we need MS to fully support Linux on Team.

"Microsoft <3 Linux", but Microsoft don't understand Linux... they perceive it as something akin to Novell Netware or SunOS from the 1990's... and they are scared to admit that there are 10's even 100's of millions of people using it on the desktop.

Many of those people really /want/ to believe that Microsoft has changed and, and would happily pay Microsoft for application software... but they are not interested in Windows and never will be.

Microsoft has a choice, make those people hate Microsoft, perhaps for another 20 years.... or start accepting that they sell applications, and stop with this "as long as you run Windows" nonsense.

• Joe Nilson Zegarra Galvez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know about other sysadmins but I have the power to make the decision to change the platform in my organization, may be a 1,100 E3/E1 tenant is a drop in the ocean, but your commitment to the linux platform thinking that is only a "Developers Platform" is very far from the reality.

Do you want to show real linux love?, then bring us real collaborative applications as Microsoft Teams or OneDrive Linux client, meanwhile Dropbox and Slack will be our prefered collaborative tools.

"Microsoft <3 Linux", but Microsoft don't understand Linux... they perceive it as something akin to Novell Netware or SunOS from the 1990's... and they are scared to admit that there are 10's even 100's of millions of people using it on the desktop.

Many of those people really /want/ to believe that Microsoft has changed and, and would happily pay Microsoft for application software... but they are not interested in Windows and never will be.

Microsoft has a choice, make those people hate Microsoft, perhaps for another 20 years.... or start accepting that they sell applications, and stop with this "as long as you run Windows" nonsense.

It's truly sad to see how Microsoft Skype for business & Teams never have in his mind the Linux users with the Office 365 Apps for Desktop. There are a lot of users that we use Unix systems...

Feedback and Knowledge Base