How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

8,311 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

1064 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Shawn LeBlanc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the web client doesn't allow screen sharing yet, and my team uses Linux on our laptops because we support Linux servers, we need a Linux client before we'll ever make the move to Teams. If you're serious about Teams winning the chat client market for business, you'll start moving this up the queue soon. As everyone else has said, Slack is getting stronger in this space while you twiddle your thumbs at Microsoft... 'Nuff said.

• Alfred Feldmeyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@admin Its not possible to sign up for testing. Onedrive: "The survey is reported to be not secure"

Is the sign process closed?

• Sumair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft !
    MS - Teams is a great tool for us developers who work with different teams around the world. A lot of those devs use Linux and would love to have a Linux client !
    So please give us that !

• LarryP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's pathetic that I have to keep paying for GoToMeeting to be able to do screenshares with Linux users because Teams is too lame to support anything more than text chat on Linux.
    c'mon Microsoft!

• Theo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is for developers? I don't think so. Developers develop an ALL systems, not just MacOS or Windows. What about the Linux developers? Until then we will continue to use Slack.

• Rayyan Sultani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Developers will not be using Teams without Linux support even if it's just an excuse not to. Slack still remains the favorite.

• Cesar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This stream of Microsoft's open source empathy has to be supported with native applications for open source operating systems.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to give Teams a try, but the web app does not support video calls and as long as there is not Linux client...

sry, but its not rly an alternative to Slack.

• Joe Dickhead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally, I'm glad there isn't a linux client for Teams. I hate teams with a passion, and am grateful that I can't be forced to use it on Linux.

• Wim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major feature that is needed in corporate life. We as many companies around the world have a disembodied experience between development teams, product teams and other groups in our organization due to the lack of a Linux client. The frustration that this brings and the need to look for third party solutions is mind boggling.

• Sumair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much needed update from Microsoft. Teams is an app targeted for developers and such a large community of developers is using Linux, so come on Microsoft you need to give us a Teams Linux client.

• Altair Lage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be offline from teams everytime I need to log in my linux partition. It would be great to have it in both my partitions and never be offline.

• Anton Castelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really great to have a Linux client. Since the voice and video functions aren't available in the web app, it limits how Linux users can communicate with others on our team.

• Brian Harkreader commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please update. I'm working to move my organization from GSuite to Office 365 and this is a massive blocking issue.

Feedback and Knowledge Base