How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

6,254 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

859 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Aaron Watry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team also currently uses the Slack linux client heavily in our (multi-continent) development group. IT is pushing to move to O365 and eventually Teams, but without at least audio, and ideally video calls (bonus points for screen sharing), we are going to have issues with migrating everyone over.

• Roman Kogan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linux client is needed as a lot of R&D in tech companies is done on Linux. Having to keep another OS running just to get the benefits of using a native client for communication is a hassle.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Def a huge win for us linux users (and microsoft employees tasked with advocating for linux)

• David Carpenter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company currently uses a combination of Cisco Jabber, Spark, and Slack. With our O365 investment, I would like to be able to move our full company to MS Teams. However, we cannot do that without a Linux client. -Thank you.

• Brent Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra, it has been sometime and not feedback on this very important feature.
        As I have stated before, without a Linux client I am not able to deploy Teams as our main chat, our dev / IT want Slack and I need your help to ensure we can use Teams.

I look forward to hearing from you
        cheers Brent

• Ben Waters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A web client with audio and video calls would work just as well as a native client. As it stands now this is a big issue for me on ubuntu.

Not really, I can not make/receive audio/video calls through browser. MS hadn't built it in the web client. So we need either native app or web client matching desktop one. Cheers.

I'm also voting for Linux client. Really love the Teams but some of our teammates are using Linux.

Please add a Linux client. Otherwise, Teams has been a great app for our group, and I've been very pleased with it. But a Linux client would be amazing.

In the interim, hide the message "Want an even faster, more collaborative experience? Download the desktop app. Download" - It hotlinks to Teams_windows.exe. EXE??

• Anders Ek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just adding to what is requested: Most of our devs are on windows and like MS Teams. However we also do need to have people on linux since we deliver products on this platform. Not having proper MS Teams support on Linux is a blocker for deployment. Actually probably just support for notifications would be enough. So something giving notifications for our linux users, keeping the rest of the functionality in the web version, would probably be enough while waiting for a real client.

• M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recall that linux in-browser would be fine if, like google hangouts, it supported video and voice in-browser but it does not; no voice or video in-browser.

(in fact, we've had trouble with the sharing screen functionality even on fat clients in Windows, and especially trying to run in a VM).

Feedback and Knowledge Base