How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

7,061 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

915 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ibrahim bou ncoula commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You cannot consider this as a lower priority, big part of the developer community is using Ubuntu and this is really needed as it is disrupting our work. Any deadline or dates on when we can expect this to be live ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's another thumbs up in favor of a full-featured browser version as the proper way to support multiple operating systems. Thanks!

• TC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I learned from my Windows phone experience - not to wait for MS anymore. Sticking with Slack.

I'd rather have a full-featured web browser version than an app. If I can do audio/video on the browser, I don't see the need for a specific app.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slack is for the leader in our company since all of our R&D is on Linux.
        Teams is just use by the IT team...too bad...

• Mstyslav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our contract for O365 ends in a several month, and if there still no support for audio and desktop sharing on Linux (either on browser or with a client) we are going to choose another platform for collaboration, unfortunately.

• privateinformation commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe you should drop the skype for business requirement. That would make it easier. You are using electron for portability and that works on Linux and Mac. Skype for business does not. FYI on a MAC you constantly need to re-install skype for business every time you want to use it. Bad decisions lead to to terrible programming.

• Jeff Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Suphatra,

Just to make you aware, the lack of a native linux client (or one on the Teams roadmap) is likely to cause our 40,000 users to consider an alternative to Teams.

* heavy sigh *

Jeff

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just ridiculous, Microsoft really is a big global failure on all possible fronts.
        Not only is your Teams product just another inferior clone of existing services but you obviously don't even have the talent inside your organization to produce cross-platform code.

Seeing the years pass and this thread grow is starting to feel like watching a school of fish trying to construct a birds nest.

Let's just be honest, you have absolutely no clue how solve this task nor any idea why it's needed or how it's supposed to be used.

Consider this to be an official statement:

There will never be a ****** Linux Client.

We are looking forward to a Linux version of this. We currently use Lync on Macs, and really need more than that offers, where users in our company use Skype, and also shareware Linux versions of Lync. We really look forward to consolidating all our operations under Teams and the much more user friendly environment it offers!

We are a 2000+ user organization and are using Slack instead of Teams because of the lack of a native Teams client for Linux.

I'm sick and tired of the "we have to get X done first, and then Y (oh, and then Z), and Linux is too big for us to deal with anyway."

The web interface is ridiculous without any kind of notifications (email doesn't cut it -- it just gets in the way).

• Krystian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@admin ( @Suphatra ) - oh god, for what you make this "technological marvel" - that is worst stupid app for communicate in company - best way was a skype application, one small windows - I see who is online, who not. Have eveyone what i want to have!

It would be great to share some protocol for chat only what we can implement in many Linux applications like Pidgin, adium, etc..

• Thomas Juhász commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, Microsoft Teams is not even out yet :) Let them ship the MVP, it doesnt hurt you if the windows users get it half year earlier. I'm sure they will prioritize linux once they have the bare minimum to release to the windows community.

Feedback and Knowledge Base