How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

5,433 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

775 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any idea when this will come out of review and go into planning?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A product cannot be successful in DevOps groups, startups, and higher education teams without Linux desktop support these days.

I have worked with people in all three types of groups mentioned above. In each one of them, tools selection was driven by a requirement for Linux compatibility. Microsoft always loses in these contests. It would be quite nice finally to have an MS product that my Linux-operating co-workers would not automatically reject.

• Tim Jedlicka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd rather see a plugin for pidgin so I can continue to customize my client and use one client for ALL my IM/chat protocols.

• paxa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so great tool without linux support ? please please please . for software companies its very major.

• hookluk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there is impossible to use it effectively without linux client

MS is saying a lot of about things for linux.. and about .Net core ...

• Maciej Michałek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you do not want to build Linux client, please at least add XMPP or IRC gateway. Linux users must be able to use TEAMS outside of browser.

Linux support is imperative for our 2000+ users organization to even consider Teams over Slack

We are testing Teams now and its a pity that Linux is not being catered for, especially as its a collaboration product. Important to provide support for all platforms for effective collaboration.

• Hs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 The only reason for not switching to Teams is lack of Linux (Ubuntu) support

• Jamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> we had to pull this back into review. I’ll get you more details once I have them

That was 4 weeks ago. Any update please?

• Jan Vondrouš commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot say to anyone: "hey its great use it, just do not close this browser window please".
        Teams looks great, but this is the showstopper! I am so sad. This is the end.

• Brian M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are significant populations of creative teams that use Linux exclusively. This should be a priority to insure cross-organization collaboration. Today they have to use Slack and Google Hangouts as alternatives.

Feedback and Knowledge Base