How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

7,061 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

914 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, you managed it to provide an ubuntu bash shell on windows 10. that's really nice!

And you use a platform independent framework for teams. well done!!

now may you please support the growing amount of users working on linux boxes?
        tear down the windows wall!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So let me get this straight...

You seem to have no plans to push out a Linux client.

You have all browsers reporting as "unsupported" on Linux.

You have apparently disabled third party workarounds that people had put in place because you guys couldn't put on your Big Boy Pants and put out a client.

How do you expect to keep your end users who are on Linux? Unicorn **** and dreams?

• James H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Happily enjoying Teams UNTIL yesterday when:
        "
        Hmm. Your browser version isn't supported. Here's what works:
        Microsoft Edge - Install for free
        Google Chrome - Install for free
        Mozilla Firefox - Install for free
        "

I've already been using the latest Google Chrome 55.0.x.x (64-bit) on Linux Mint 18.1 Serena....
        - Frustrating

• Johannes Lauter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Came in the office today to find out that you disabled all third party teams clients for Linux (rambox for example) by implementing a browser check ... at this point it really looks like you are trying to burn trough your user base

• Rusty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Switch to RocketChat (A great / active open source platform), does everything Slack does and for free if you host it yourself. Easy to integrate with anything else.

Its clients like slack work on eveythng

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would Microsoft ever develop this without looking at Slack and it's cross platform capabilities??

Oh look we can give most of our developers Teams or we can give ALL our developers Slack. Which would you pick?

• Andrzej commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Microsoft Team,

Could you update on the development status of the Linux client?
        Without Linux client we can't use it.

Thanks!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about running the teams apk in an Android emulator, is that possible? Or using Wine?

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I realize this is kind of pointless, but I'll ask anyway -- please make sure that every release and feature has parity on Linux, Mac, and windows from day 1.

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my organization we use Win and Linux, without Teams Linux client, we should move to Slack.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I had the choice, I would use slack. But **** - my company forces me to use teams.

• Theo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every other feature has the label "Working on it", but for Linux there is no time because of the Guest Access? Sure... Slack is currently better anyways.

• Adrien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's not lower priority...
        As from the start, Microsoft use but don't get the community mind...

If you don't put that on the top of your list, can you finish your web app to make available, call, etc... ?

• ibrahim bou ncoula commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You cannot consider this as a lower priority, big part of the developer community is using Ubuntu and this is really needed as it is disrupting our work. Any deadline or dates on when we can expect this to be live ?

Feedback and Knowledge Base