How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

7,792 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

1003 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Guillermo Mateo Jr. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regretfully, this forum appears to be useless. Feedback is not actively considered. Microsoft, your user base will move on, if you don't take matters seriously.

• Isma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra,

We are happy to help from the community and will more than welcome some help from you guys in here.

https://github.com/IsmaelMartinez/teams-for-linux

All works pretty decent at the moment, but things could always be a bit better.

With a bit of help/info from your side, we could have a nicer integration in Linux been able to align user experience for the 3 platforms.

See if someone from your team can have a look. We are always happy to help.

Feel free to email me directly or just report in the Github repo.

Hope helps,

• Andersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are looking for a Discord alternative, that also older people are more willing to use. Pretty sure we are not switching to Teams as long as there is no Linux client.

• Pierre L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
    Just adding my vote to the list... Currently using Skype for Linux satisfactorily, and worried about Teams support as my company will soon move to everything 365...

• Guillermo Mateo Jr. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has Microsoft abandoned this issue? No updates since October 18, 2018. Has this forum lost its purpose? My organization is about to reject MS Teams because of this issue. Why was it so simple for Slack to support a client on Linux, and so difficult for a powerhouse like Microsoft? This forum is changing from a user voice forum to an outright complaints channel. Please do something soon. Thanks.

• deepak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need Teams for Linux, period! otherwise as enterprise wide we may have to abandon Teams to keep everyone (at least 10% are full time Linux developers) onboard on same collaboration app which is not going to be Teams if not supported natively on Linux.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok if we're not getting Linux support, how about opening the API to allow third party developers to get in on the game and add the support that way?

• Julian Alarcon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Snap available here! https://snapcraft.io/teams-for-linux/

This client is able to do video/audio chat and screen sharing, support notifications and systray on Linux

For now we are just uploading in the edge channel, once we have the Continuous Delivery in place we will release to stable.

• Nathan Basanese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Signed up for the MicroSoft UserVoice just to vote on this.

It would be an important tool for me to communicate with Enterprise clients, and to help make cloud migrations happen for legacy infrastructure and applications.

• Julian Alarcon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guess whaaaaat!! Free software did it!
    https://github.com/IsmaelMartinez/teams-for-linux/issues/19

It's possible NOW to share the screen using a native Linux client!

Some minor bugs but it's working! Now everything is working natively on Linux!

I guess I will create a new feature suggestion to allow multiple accounts and keep smashing MS devs, hahaha. But seriously, please MS you are able to allow a more clean approach.

Check the code and compile it. We are polishing some stuff before deployment https://github.com/IsmaelMartinez/teams-for-linux/tree/0.1.16

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mine too. I can't tell users not to install Slack if I don't offer an alternative. This means that I also need the plugins for Jira, Jenkins and whatnot to work.

Feedback and Knowledge Base