How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

5,433 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

775 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Doug Rohm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad you re-opened this. Hopefully you realized this is something wanted very badly and will get prioritized accordingly. Fingers crossed MS still loves linux.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is pretty disapplointing. It means that I believe team will lose the battle for communications with Slack. And honestly it is putting us as IT in a bad spot because we were pushing towards teams for phone and everything...now maybe that push is a waste. Will now look at other products and instead of moving from Skype for Business to Teams for phone, will find another phone system as chat and communication will probably end in Slack.

You want to decline the request to build this electron app on Linux to focus on our other requests?... we won't have any other requests because we'll be using something else.

• David Connolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very disappointed that over 5300 Linux users voices are heard but not heeded. Please put the effort into true cross browser support.

• Mark Liederbach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a member of a team of developers, I can tell you that this is very disappointing. Not much reason to keep this as our collaboration tool if we can't use a dedicated client on our primary workstations.

This is rather disappointing with how vested our company is within the Microsoft/Office365/Azure architecture. Tough blow to the users using Linux, we've been waiting for better support to make the full swap from legacy communication methods to Teams, however this makes the decision much easier for other methods.

If a Linux client is to not be made, can we at least get better native browser notification support? Our users constantly miss messages in our initial testing of Teams.

• James Blessing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, Electron builds on Linux (within certain constraints), and all you have to do is change the user agent presented in order to get it to work for voice (something that Electron allows you to do).

Sounds like someone is deliberately holding this back rather than being technically stymied.

Sincerely hope you guys work ******* the webclient then... Make it as compatible as possible with the Mac/Windows MS Teams client. PLEASE!

• rickard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So much for that love Linux thing, I guess it only matters when it directly benefits Ms it counts. I think dev teams should consider this case when they adopt MS tech, especially since very little resources would have been used to create a client for Linux.

• Richard Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the time of rejection, a linux client was the #5 request. But please, tell us more about how this has been declined due to lack of resources.

Another vote for Slack. It was here years ago, it's well-supported, it works, and it works on everything. Why would I continue to entertain anything else?

• Christian Hujer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As pointed out by Rene Greuel, it is possible to get audio and video calls in Microsoft Teams to work on Linux in Chrome and Chromium (and possibly other browsers as well). I've written a blog article about how to do it, it's actually quite simple: http://nelkinda.com/blog/microsoft-teams-on-linux/
        Please share this blog article to a wide audience so that as many Linux users as possible are no longer barred from making audio and video calls in Microsoft Teams on Linux.

Obviously, it technically works! The only reason why it doesn't work actually is that Microsoft is somewhere checking the User-Agent and making the claim that it doesn't work, although it actually does. This is a lie, this is evil, this is not interoperable, this is making development teams angry, and this makes us question whether Microsoft is actually serious about loving Linux.

• Dominik Dünnebacke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is sad news as the majority of our clients is Linux and we might need to reconsider Teams as collab solution.

I think this is a political decision as Linux clients will not generate revenue for Microsoft . One goal behind Office 365 / Microsoft 365 is to encourage the usage of Microsoft platforms including Windows. Yes, they do support macOS as well, but enterprises will in most cases go for the Windows platform due to cost and compatibility. Teams not being available on Linux adds to this compatibility theory.

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The very first bit of text on the Electron website is literally "build cross-platform".

Given that the Teams client is really just a website wrapped in a Windows-flavored box, and if the website works on Linux, which you say it will Real Soon Now, then why is it impossible (or even non-trivial) to put the same website in a Linux-flavored box?

Feedback and Knowledge Base