How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

6,602 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

883 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, i am pretty happy using the web client on linux. Actually web client opens up faster than the app. But you guys deliberately are not providing screenshare or calling function on web so we are forced to stick with theawindows app. Stop these excuses and atleast make web version fully functional for us linuxers

• RW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linux and MS are now the best buddies, no? Linux on Win and all that Jazz, should be simple to port the code to Linux with the tools you have.

@Eric Nichols - Teams developers don't care. This candidate should use the "one and only" Windows on his machine.

• Eric Nichols commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm an internal Microsoft employee, and I need to talk to candidates for job openings. Today I had a candidate who only had access to a Linux computer.

Please accelerate development of the Linux client; it's causing problems in recruiting in cases like this. N.B. that my machine doesn't have access to Skype any more.

• Michael J. Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given that you guys (Microsoft) are able to release electron based products (VS Code, SQL Command Studio) with cross platform builds, that includes Linux. I find it very hard to believe that you are seriously unable to deliver on this request. In fact, I was surprised to see it on here, as I'd assumed it would have already been available. This is actually ridiculous.

Hipchat is going and people will be moving to Slack, when they should have been moving to Teams.

• Wim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the backlog ... kill it already so, we the people looking like idiots, can once again say, yes we know, it should be possible and it should be included within our contract/licenses but no they are not delivering. Yes this means we need additional money.
        You can't have such a highly wanted request that is a center piece in collaboration for organizations to be up in the air for that long ... frustrated, yes, moving forward, yes we shall.

trying to make a decision to switch from Slack for my organisation of ~100 people. Quite a few of us run Ubuntu

• Helcio Ricardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pois é... eu também tenho vários devs no meu time que usam Linux e o cliente web não é tão funcional quanto o desktop. Espero que eles tirem esse ano do backlog.

• Ali Yousefi Sabzevar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, Please don't forget to provide it as distro independent or at least cover two major upstreams (Fedora/RedHat/CentOS and Ubuntu/Debian/Mint), so you will cover about 95% of Linux users by providing .rpm and .deb packages.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's interesting; if you look at the number of votes of open suggestions, this one is near the top, yet they're ignoring it for now.

🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕
        "Microsoft loves Open Source now"

• Glenn Mckenna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have we got any news on this and is there any work arounds in the meen time without loosing functionalities ?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 44 45

Feedback and Knowledge Base