How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

8,322 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

1064 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ppannek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Microsoft, why is this topic still just "on the backlog" since nearly 1/2 year even it is still Top5 in your overall UserVoice since 1/2 year? I see that you are working on a lot of other topics that are outside of the Top5. Can you please explain after a long time what's your standing to the full linux client? Many thanks in advance also in the name of all the people who are still waiting for the linux solution.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yup. Lack of video chat with screen and window sharing, poor notifications support and other issues have driven us to slack. We would rather use teams.

• JL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company is considering Zoom, as our developers will not switch to Windows and the Web-client is no good for meetings in Linux.
    So, at least make the web client fully functional with firefox/chrome and Linux.

• Paul Bemowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"I'll quit my job before I use a Windows or Apple OS for work."

I like that comment, and concur. Software engineers love linux. Teams just doesn't work fundamentally if not everyone can join.

FYI, Slack and Zoom both have wonderful Linux clients.

• Nart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No matter what the product team says, this will *never* happen. Microsoft has no interest in extending a product that essentially nobody pays for (people only use it because it's included in Office 365) to a platform they make no money off of and have a long history of trying to extinguish.

Don't get your hopes up.

• Johanne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also have our developpers teams that is using Linux intensively and I'm trying to make them love Teams and Microsoft but it's a bit killing the adoption in my own team if we don't have a native client for TEAMS. I have been responsible to implement Microsoft Office 365 Suite in the organisation. My Team is very responsive to develop a better way we communicate in the organisation but I can't makes them adopt the Teams apps until the full Video-Conferencing options including video chat and all functionalities are available on Linux. I'm wondering why it's taking so long ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adoption is only high because management says so, there are fundamental features missing from Teams.

It is so easy to make a good desktop client for Linux, it's shocking to me that MS doesn't already have one.

I'll quit my job before I use a Windows or Apple OS for work.

PS:
    I will use a disposable email address and immediately unsubscribe from "product updates" because I don't give a **** about your bad products. Don't force me to agree to being abused by you.

Feedback and Knowledge Base