How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

allow any emoji as a reaction, not just thumbs up

Slack has this: get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/206870317-..

2,636 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

204 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awesome, but please fix the SAVED icon. You can save comments for later, but now the saved icon no longer shows up in the conversation/chat thread.

• Russell Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with the other commenters. The "popping" of reactions automatically when hovering over a message is incredibly distracting. We also need thumbsup to be the easiest reaction to click.

• Tim K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the most recent changes EXCEPT I want the ellipsis back. Think about people who don't use Teams regularly or are using Teams for the first time - how are they supposed to know they can hover over a message to pick a reaction or click the ellipsis that appears only after hovering to edit their message.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see these! I like them they are a nice improvement and I will use them. I do agree with some of the comments below. For round two, I also agree a few business oriented ones might be good. We also tend to use 'like' more as an 'acknowledged' or 'gotcha' in that we've read that item.

• Lee Gaupp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agree with EileenT below - business related with emoticon meaning for the things she mentions would be excellent.

• Eileen T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be nice if these were business related - I've seen this, need more info, let's meet, etc. Currently our team uses the "like" button to indicate they've read a post.

• CJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also feel that it's distracting for all the emojis to present themselves when hovering over a message. Also, I dislike that color was added to the emojis--I much preferred the white "thumbs up" for its subtlety and nonobtrusiveness.

Thank you for at least not animating them once they're added.

• Benjamin Kamm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to other comments. In Slack, we're primarily not using emoji for sentiments like happy, frustrated, but to support team workflow like "eyes" to mean "I've seen this" or "bold check" to mean "this issue is resolved". The current facebook-like implementation may support social media type conversations, but doesn't support our use cases.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks! This is a step in the right direction. Improvements come with effort and even small successes are non-the-less successes. Keep it up.

I would echo some of the sentiments expressed in other comments.

1. Allowing any Team-supported emoji would be helpful. A selection of preset emojis can be useful but organizations use different approaches to responding to messages and so being able to customize is essential. Even if only an admin could adjust presets for a given team it would be helpful.

2. Allow a user to do multiple reactions (like heart and thumbsup)

3. Keyboard shortcut to add reactions. (+:emoji_name) is the what Slack used and that works very well.

As mentioned, I am glad to see that progress is being made and I look forward to seeing additional steps taken.
    Keep up the work, Microsoft!

• Marcus Diddle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice to see the addition of the feature, however I'm finding it distracting that the emoji all present themselves automatically simply by hovering over a message. As I'm reading through message threads, I just see emoji popping up on every single message. I feel a better implementation would be to simply pop up the "…" icon by itself on each message, and then expand all available "…" options once a user clicks it.

• Joseph Dunphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If having custom emoji support is a very high LoE, please add in some emoji's that can be leveraged for "received request and looking" (used the eyes in Slack) and one for "request completed" (used checkmark in Slack). The thumbs up is not distinct enough and has already been conditioned to just being used as a "like" of a post

The use case are for all internal operations live assists contacts within larger companies. It's so much easier when you have folks on the same team, but working in multiple geographies, that are monitoring for communications from other business areas and they scan through easily by using the reactions to identify when someone else is already looking at a request/ask for help and they can jump to the next thread/post

It's a very simple feature but makes all the difference in making communication more productive and makes MS Teams far more applicable to workflow application.

• IndefiniteBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The feature request was for ANY emoji, not a subset that was chosen by a teenager instead of someone in a professional working environment.

• Leonardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft,
    I don't want to sound mean, but your strategy on emoji-based communication is beyond comprehension. Why would you use only Skype emoticons instead of full emoji support? People expect you to perhaps copy and improve upon one of the most loved features of Slack, instead you went for a facebook-hybrid that will leave most people that asked you for this feature ******.

I really want to like Teams, but it seems MS is focused on making it as boring as possible. Please reconsider.

With love, Leo

• Peter Bech-Lutzka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Professional emojis is really a "must have". Reactions like "seen" + "Agree" + "Read" + "lets meet" + "need more info" and so on would be perfect.

• Matt U commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to add in ANY emoji as a reaction, and more than one at a time.

• ChrisG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company is a huge supporter of Teams, but I'm perplexed:
    1. The thumbs up, which I would think would still be the most common "acknowledgement" of a message, is the furthest from where you (used to) click to provide the reaction? (I get that it's now the closest, left-to-right)
    2. It's now two clicks to "save" a message? (this could have easily remained with the reactions after a separator/pipe
    3. Having the reaction bar float at all times, and even for messages that you've already reacted to, is an unwanted distraction
    4. The display of the bar, especially when moving between/over messages is slow/clunky
    5. As a predominantly business/work tool, the reactions (and choice of them) does not seem well thought through
    6. Can I turn off (or configure) reactions in Teams, if we want a simplified acknowledgement/thumbs-up like it used to be?

Keep at it. Thanks, Chris

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's nice to see more options... however I question the ergonomic aspects of the implementation.
    The previous only emoji (thumb-up) is now the one that is the longest to reach in terms of mouse move.
    The closest one is quite strong and negative.
    I'd personally prefer a quick/default thumb-up and the option to select another.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

😥 I wanted pizzas and beers and bears and ducks and rockets and cars and flags not just those 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base