How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

allow any emoji as a reaction, not just thumbs up

Slack has this: get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/206870317-..

2,635 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

196 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Derek Hsu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great job on the recent update! Love the feature!

However there are 2 feedbacks from my team:

1. It is distracting that the reaction emojis appear when we hover on the messages. Most of the time we are reading the messages and the reaction options are kind of in the way.

2. Totally agree with EileenT below, we use Teams for business, my team is using the thumb-up for 'i
    read it'. Please give us a set of business related emojis.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doesn't seem to be working for me.I'm on version 1.2.00.13765 (64 bit) and only the 'Thumb up' is available.

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The actual implementation is definetely not good. Our users are confused.
    In Addition we already had organizational problems with the workers council ( german company) using the like button. As mentioned in other comments we would prefer to have more business-like and less social options here or an option to turned it off completely.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This kind of sucks now that it got implemented. My team uses thumbs-up 90% of the time. It sucks that it takes 2 clicks and more mouse movement to get to the thumbs-up. The thumbs-up is far away from the click origin.

If you're aiming to do this the Slack way, then put the top 5 emojis on the message where 1 click is enough. Hide the extra emoji options in that hidden menu.

• HD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There seems to be a bug with this release. I no longer see the '...' menu in the upper right hand corner of a message and there doesn't seem to be any indication of available actions. However, when I scroll over that corner a menu appears but the menu is blank until I mouse over the menu and even then only some of the icons show upon mousing over.

• Tim Jahr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As with all things Teams, it's an improvement, but still not what Slack already has. Here's hoping that "Partially done" means that our actual request is still a possibility!

• Jeramy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would agree with most of the sentiments here, glad to add the additional reactions, but the implementation is less than ideal.

Thumbs up = most used and now farthest from the ideal location.
    The other reactions while useful don't cover the full business case uses of the emojis like many other posters have mentioned, these are to socially focused.
    The auto-popup of them when hovering over the messages is very distracting
    The ellipsis for the additional actions should still be visible on the message without having to hover.

Step in the right direction, but overall there is some serious room for improvement.

• CAC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Noticed the change and LOVE it. More, more, more please!

• Chase Florell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just received the partial update, I love it for two reasons

1) moar emojis
    2) the context button no longer covers the last bit of text when hovering, meaning we can now copy/paste short strings (which we couldn't before)

Great work Team! #punintended

• AM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Labeling this partially done seems a misnomer to me. Five specific, pre-chosen emoji options are no better for my needs than one specific, pre-chosen emoji option, and neither of those is at all what I was hoping to see when I voted for this.

• Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awesome, but please fix the SAVED icon. You can save comments for later, but now the saved icon no longer shows up in the conversation/chat thread.

• Russell Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with the other commenters. The "popping" of reactions automatically when hovering over a message is incredibly distracting. We also need thumbsup to be the easiest reaction to click.

• Tim K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the most recent changes EXCEPT I want the ellipsis back. Think about people who don't use Teams regularly or are using Teams for the first time - how are they supposed to know they can hover over a message to pick a reaction or click the ellipsis that appears only after hovering to edit their message.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see these! I like them they are a nice improvement and I will use them. I do agree with some of the comments below. For round two, I also agree a few business oriented ones might be good. We also tend to use 'like' more as an 'acknowledged' or 'gotcha' in that we've read that item.

• Lee Gaupp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agree with EileenT below - business related with emoticon meaning for the things she mentions would be excellent.

• Eileen T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be nice if these were business related - I've seen this, need more info, let's meet, etc. Currently our team uses the "like" button to indicate they've read a post.

• CJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also feel that it's distracting for all the emojis to present themselves when hovering over a message. Also, I dislike that color was added to the emojis--I much preferred the white "thumbs up" for its subtlety and nonobtrusiveness.

Thank you for at least not animating them once they're added.

• Benjamin Kamm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to other comments. In Slack, we're primarily not using emoji for sentiments like happy, frustrated, but to support team workflow like "eyes" to mean "I've seen this" or "bold check" to mean "this issue is resolved". The current facebook-like implementation may support social media type conversations, but doesn't support our use cases.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base