How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Markdown support

In slack I can format my message by using markdown.
See get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/202288908-...

That also allows me to have some kind of code highlighting.
This feature is really cool for teams discussing technical subjects.

1,129 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela SzeAngela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  SuphatraAdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Markdown is here!

For those who want to be able to format text on the fly or collaborate on code, markdown has finally arrived. Now, you’ve got a quick, easy way to perform the following actions:

add asterisks to either end of some text to make it bold
    underscore the beginning and end of some text in order to make it italic
    add a tilde before and after your text to strike through
    Add a double pound sign (##) before your text to create a Header
    Type [text](URL) to create a hyperlink within a message
    To start a bulleted list, preface your text with an asterisk (*) or a hyphen (-)
    To start a numbered list, preface your text with
    To create a block quote, just add a right-hand bracket (>) before your text
    Even better, our markdown syntax includes support for code:

To add an inline block of code, start and end the block of text you want to add with an `
    To add a multi-line block of code, preface your text with ``` and then paste it into your compose box

Please let us know how it goes and keep adding more suggestions here!
    Suphatra

Twitter: @skprufo

101 comments

Comments are closed
    • Daniel TkáčDaniel Tkáč commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please extend "Rich style" dropdown list in compose box with working "[text](URL)" option!

Or create a new layout for Markdown Language - two tabs/windows: Plain Text <> Preview

Thanks!

• Scott WolkScott Wolk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, is there a way to not format a message? We have automated messages with lots of underscores and they get formatted as italics. Is there a markdown code so subsequent text is not marked down?

• ScuScu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Markdown for links is malfunctioning. Does anybody know when This will be fixed?

• L. GüntherL. Günther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Type [text](URL) to create a hyperlink within a message ... does not allow to paste URL from clipboard since a few days!!! Came in as a new bug lately. Please correct!

• Mārcis PinnisMārcis Pinnis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "Markdown is here!" looks more like "some weird formatting command guesser that messes up your text box while you type is here". I do not see markdown support and the formatting guesser has such a bad UX. Why don't you (Microsoft) look at what Slack and their competitors offer?

I would consider Markdown support to be good if I could copy-paste Markdown snippets from Github/Gitlab and they would be rendered correctly. They are not!

• Vergil WeatherfordVergil Weatherford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No dice with URL Linking. Also, pasting text into a code block is finnicky. E.g `<paste text here>` doesn't turn the pasted text into block code.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What exactly are we supposed to use for a numbered list? <1> doesn't work.

Well I tried the commonmark.org standard of 1. and that worked. You need to update the your post.

• Dave SkenderDave Skender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yah, the markdown URL seems to rarely work when coming from VSTS connector. They seem to work when manually typing them in the "new conversation" field (copied same link).

• ShawnShawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[linkName](url) only seems to work for a specific subset of url formats. Not entirely sure why you have to parse them at all... but it is definitely very very broken and useless for any of our internal tracking urls (the only ones we need to share)

• Vineet ShahVineet Shah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unable to add a sub unsorted list within a sorted list. M I doing it wrong or is it a miss ?

• Jason WJason W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seconding the report that markdown doesn't work at all on copy/pasted text, only when you type in the text yourself

• Owen ScottOwen Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing the other commenters. This is **SERIOUSLY** broken. The on-the-fly rendering sometimes makes it impossible to get back out of a markdown span/block, or to go back and remove/edit markdown you've written. The end result feels super buggy and really shouldn't have been shipped to paying users.

I would suggest one of the following:

1) Don't parse/render markdown until the user hits send. (Can always go back and edit the message). This is what Slack does and it works perfectly.
      2) Parse/render markdown inline **but** preserve the actual syntax so it can be edited later. A good example of this in action is Write for Mac.

Strong vote for (1) rather than (2) as it's simpler and less prone to bugs. But what we have right now is a buggy mess so please fix!

• James DelaneyJames Delaney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Heading 2 anyone?

Also, # is impossible on a British English Keyboard in macOS. The keypress needed is Option+3 but that switches tab to General.

Aarrgh! Please leave shortcuts alone unless they're really needed? CTRL+3 would make more sense on macOS for tab switching.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base