How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

slash commands are a must-have

Slash commands for just about every type of function are a must have. They are familiar and easy to use without having to touch your mouse, they are UI-agnostic. Admittedly not terribly discoverable – but the UI is even worse, as their is no real option for auto-completion of UI elements, now is there?

1,757 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom Bollens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very powerful to have the ability to define your own slash commands, would this be on the roadmap as well?

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Joar Ekendahl wrote: "Would be awesome if the "power bar" was completely moved and integrated into the existing chat bar."

Exactly. Plus, this would have the advantage that the power bar would no longer break the UI model for the platform. The search bar, being interactive, should be in the client area of the window. The title area of the window should be reserved for the conversation title.

• Joar Ekendahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be awesome if the "power bar" was completely moved and integrated into the existing chat bar.... Feels really awkward to have several places to click on and command in.
        It would then be possible to "/giphy" in the chat bar instead of clicking... Mouse = bad. :D

• Joar Ekendahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love it if the "power bar" actually went away and merged with the regular chat bar down south.

• Jared commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really need some form of /code for code blocks. Hipchat had this and it made sharing snippets really simple. Sharing a codeblock in teams is 3 mouse-clicks MINIMUM, and more if you actually want to tell it what syntax highlighter to use. This is the opposite of simple, which makes conversations less likely to happen, and therefore progress less likely to occur.

• Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ah, one of the blessings IRC bestowed upon the world!
        I'd ESPECIALLY like the replce one.
        ... /r/replce/replace

;)

• Borhan Zadeh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So long as whatever you're implementing should be customisable as well. Like, we need to be able to add/edit slash commands.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if teams is to be the central point for many things it makes sense to enable custom scripted shortcuts to allow users to move directly to tabs within channels in one step. If users have to do lots of clicking and scrolling to get where they need to go then the flexibility to move around quickly by other means is a must.

• Chris Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, throwing my comment here, looking forward to the revamp, but I have been looking at integrations with Teams and it's really not done all that well. Having the interactive cards is nice, but it really needs to be like slack, initiated with the @ or / command, but the responses need to be private to you even in the Team channels. I don't want to run commands and integration points and have the rest of the team see them. I also shouldn't have to go to a chat window to do these integrations, that's kind of meh. Pretty sure i'm echoing others, but anyway, it's getting there, I know it's early in the game for you guys and I have faith you will improve this cause I know you guys at Microsoft are using this tool heavily as well :) so that makes me realize good things will come from it.

• Andy Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>and as an avid slash command user myself, I can honestly say that I’m extremely excited to see where it is going with Teams.

Are you saying you're an avid slack user?

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The whole point of using the keyboard for commands is to not have to move your **** mouse up to the search box. COME ON, the entire point is missed. Please take the time to think about why you are adding a feature.

• John Carney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Command bar for slash commands, a chat window for just the chat is tedious to use and very unitituive. There needs to be a single point of control for the interface. It's not as good as slack.

• Johan Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is fantastic! Slash commands in a separate box! Why?
        Using Mac OS where someone "forgot" to add shortcut keys https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18718825-macos-shortcuts-and-keyboard-interactions
        You can now use FIVE tab strokes to move to the new Command box put in your /Command and the push TAB twelve more times to come back to the chat box. Amazing job, congrats to all great thinkers at MS ;)

• Ajith Ramakrishnan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just like how we could easily build custom slash commands in Slack, we should be able to do the same in Teams. And I totally agree with everyone else that the slash command should work from the chat box and not from elsewhere.

• Jono commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why this was not just implemented into the chat box is beyond me. Teams was built after the rise of Slack, how could you not copy some of the fantastic things they do? I can't help but feel like a chat addon for VS Code would just be a better overall outcome. Dev is faster, new features make sense, everything actually works...

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base