How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Ability to see who is in a channel

Ability to see who is currently in a channel. Hipchat and Slack have this feature

1,893 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela SzeAngela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

141 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't think of any other chat application that didn't have this feature, that fact that I have to use the mouse, click and type just to see if someone is online shows that no thought went into this. Maybe they just needed left it out to make sure they could fill half of the screen with empty space

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second the discord interface sentiment. Do what discord does. Has all the active users in the channel.

• Hannu WuolletHannu Wuollet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Specific team/channel - Why? We have team members in different cities and countries. It would be easy to see at a glance who is online and available and if needed click their name to move to a private chat..

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much needed feature, one idea we have has is to have a drop in IT Helpdesk scenario where user could ask questions. To be able to see if anyone is there to assist and the revesrse to see if there is anyone who needs assistance. Or if they are set to busy but in the channel so someone would not expect an immidiate response

• George WiltshireGeorge Wiltshire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to see who's in a channel to know who's available to answer a question! Being able to @here or @all to address everyone that's in that channel would also be helpful, but only if you knew who was in that channel! Just copy what Slack or HipChat have... it's a very simple idea.

• Ray Piller (VertigoRay)Ray Piller (VertigoRay) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been said a dozen times, but unfort there's no way to +1 a comment so we can get a count of people who agree ... so here it goes again...

Just copy slack.

• Jill FinnJill Finn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Specific Team or Channel for sure...we need to be able to see who is online and available to answer a question/address an issue, etc. without having to jump over to chat or try to view everyone in Teams.

• Matt CoyleMatt Coyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will just echo Michael's comments below. I would like to have everyone in a Team, but not necessarily allowed to see every channel.

• jerryjerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to see who is presently in a specific CHANNEL ala Slack. We us Teams at work, but I need to be able to tell if the people that I expect a response from are on or not.

• M.C.M.C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, we should be able to see who is in our Team or Channel. We shouldn't be working "blind" and not have that list available. Not seeing a list may be okay for a team of 5 or less, not so for a 5+ people.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of the comments read: ... part of the channel...

There is no: I am part of that or this channel (and that is the problem)

Everyone who is part of the group/team is potentially part of of every channel of that team. Because channels are open and the only thing you can do is favourite them.

Right now:
        Office 365 = house
        Team/Group = room
        channel = group of people inside of that room
        -> once you are inside of the room, you can go to every group and talk with them, even listen what they talk about, without being invited to participate

How it should be:
        Office 365 = City
        Team/Group = House
        channel = room
        -> once someone invited me into the house, I can walk around, see open doors/rooms, closed doors/rooms and there are even hidden rooms in the basement, I don't even know whether they exist

so...

please have open channels, private channels and hidden channels and allow us to only invite people to specific channels, without them seeing the whole house (group/team)

then it makes sense to talk about: seeing people are part of that channel

(probably a lot of us come from using Slack, so when they talk about channels, you need so understand how channels work in slack)

• Big SnugglesBig Snuggles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply put, it helps in a agile way where knowing which team members are readily available for impromptu conversations, troubleshooting, etc.

In a Channel would be priority with Teams in general at lowest.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Unfortunately the answer is a bit like "copy what's in slack" :)
        In this tool, we are able, from the main channel for instance, to see who are the users in the channel, and who is connected / who isn't, without any new click.
        Similarly, from one click, we can access the chat with them. Not 2 clicks, not a different screen...

In one sentence: Seing who's there and chatting with them with a state-of-the-art user interface.

This really is User eXperience here, nothing more. But it has its importance for a tool which is supposed to enhance the communication between members, hence why lots of us here are not going to switch to teams without this functionality (that others could consider "a detail").

I hope you understand the business need, but again: copying slack seems a good way to start.

Thanks

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base