How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Ability to see who is in a channel

Ability to see who is currently in a channel. Hipchat and Slack have this feature

2,520 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi everyone, according to our new Skype for Business convergence road map, we’re about six months out from having this feature.

For more information on the roadmap, see the blog post here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Roadmap-for-Skype-for-Business-capabilities-coming-to-Microsoft/ba-p/119636

And the roadmap PPT here: https://skypeandteams.blob.core.windows.net/artefacts/Skype%20for%20Business%20to%20Teams%20Capabilities%20Roadmap.pdf

Thanks,
    Suphatra

160 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hicsy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suphatra - I think you misunderstand completely. Nothing in that roadmap whatsoever mentions anything about listing channel members. This is not the first time you have extrapolated a simple request out to a major feature (in this case Skype + O365 graph integration) and completely blown it off without even acknowledging the core request.

It is very clear that you are blind to this simple fact - that teams is supposed to be a communication tool, yet the users don't know who they are communicating with! I fear that you might be moderating this away: if after reading and responding to this request you still completely misunderstand the trivial request.

I urge you to get someone from UX to read this request (116911121) as they will understand it, and hopefully push it through straight away due to it's simplicity and the effect it has on the user experience. I repeat: in a chat program, the users NEED to be able to see who they are chatting with. Sure, enhance the graph support later with a pretty "active users" panel on the right later (like every IRC client since the 90's)... but the simple request which you have personally once again ignored is: "ability to see who is currently in a channel".
        Teams already have a similar menu hidden away in the admin settings, please: AT LEAST text someone in the dev team to hard-link to that page from the top of every channel - they can literally knock that out while they wait for their coffee tomorrow morning... then you can go back to moderating things that you haven't read, like pretending this is something to do with integrating O365 graph and not even acknowledging requests.

• Ted commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a little crazy that this feature wasn't implemented ages ago. Is there any status on when it will be released?

• Neil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this feature. We just migrated from Hipchat where I could see everyone's individual online status at a glance. I use this feature to see who is online so I know who is most likely to answer their phone when I call. It's very disappointing that I can't just have a list of users in the side pane. There is so much wasted real estate in the left pane that it really doesn't make sense not to fill it in with something.

• Stephen Leafloor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Getting a lot of flack from the team because they can't tell who is in the chatroom. When you can't see who is in the room, it makes people less likely to say anything in the room because they can't tell if anyone is listening. This really needs to be added.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seeing who is part of a channel along with their online presence is very important when you decide to if and how interact with a channel. Really need this, and I think it should be surfaced right in the channel, not in a separate interface, or it would lose its power.

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my Voice to this - just realised today that there's no easy way to do this. I don't mean to overstate this, but this is a fairly basic feature that seems to be missing?

• Amanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to see who is active in my team or around at work that day. We don't want to sign in to lync anymore just to see who is active or active recently.

• Brendan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is basic functionality and the fact that the developers didn't consider it or seem to understand what people want to see is embarrassing.

• Joe C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the status of this? This a feature that would be valuable in a variety of use cases for our organization.

• Khris Chess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to know who is subscribed to a channel so I know if the message I'm sending is reaching everyone who needs to read it.

• Juraj Belina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Q:
        Do you want to see who is presently in a specific CHANNEL or just in TEAMS in general?
        Why do you want this — what is the situation you’re in where this would aid you. Understanding your user scenario will help us meet your needs!

A:
        I would like to see it for Teams. Because, I'm addressing certain issues to each relevant person in team, and I need tho know if this person is really online or not.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ironically, so does Skype/Lync. This is kind of like being in a room blindfolded and not knowing who is coming or going. Could be a recipe for disaster if something sensitive was mentioned. We just started using Teams and I hope they don't nix it due to this. Even the solution is bad as it is up to the user to set their status manually unless I'm missing something.

Not to be a putz, but it's been 3 months since your reply;+}

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base