How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Guest Access

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

8,136 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Warren responded  · 

The #1 requested feature for Microsoft Teams is now here!

We’re starting to roll out the ability to add anyone as a guest in Microsoft Teams. This means that anyone with a business or consumer email account, such as Outlook.com, Gmail.com or others, can participate as a guest in Teams with full access to team chats, meetings and files.

For more info, check out https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Collaborate-securely-with-anyone-in-Microsoft-Teams/ba-p/165941

Thank you all for your feedback and support!
-Warren

765 comments

Comments are closed
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Greetings to all.
    I have been waiting for MS to solve this issue, but unfortunatelly no solution is proposed and it seems that none will be available in the near future. I am moving to another option to managema my team collaboration.
    Sorry MS team.

• Karlheinz@DSM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a real benefit if the appearance towards the user is similar to OneDrive. The Onedrive process getting Access is pretty easy and the user Need only a Microsoft Account. I expect that the Access to TEAMS is similar easy.

• Dxb D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys dont build your hopes up on this. Thousands of users have posted about this for a year and still nothing. My advice look elsewhere. Teams is completely broken and useless for external collaboration. I reckon it will 2019 before ms can match where gsuite and slack are today. They launched this product purely to give marketing a me too flag. I hope users will actually start using uservoice to shout and scream in very large numbers. Microsoft continues to take billions of our money and cannot compete with little company like slack?

• Dxb D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Everyone. Have stopped using teams. 2 other companies I work with have actually got so annoyed with microsoft and the complete failure to deliver features on a timeline that they have have dumped microsoft and switched to gsuite and slack. The basics done right for small business with true unlimited file storage. People are happy to live with gsuite not being as full featured when those features are not even required by majority of users. 3rd party planning apps work better than planner. What a huge mess you have created microsoft. huge huge sloppy mess.

• V.Hartmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until Guest Access isn't available without an O365 account, it's useless for worldwide distributed teams. Further, it needs to be easy for guest to sign up and in.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot belive... that sounds much more restrictive that apple is ;). I see no usage and no real benefit using teams without invitation of non-microsoft users. I would recommend to adopt that feature, to invite anybody with any kind of e-mail adress to participate in teams - otherwise I would not use it.

• Andreas Schwend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you don't do that we won't be able to use Teams at all und you will never be on slack's level.
    That woud be a shocking mesage and signal to all MS users...

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.