How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Guest Access

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

8,150 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

The #1 requested feature for Microsoft Teams is now here!

We’re starting to roll out the ability to add anyone as a guest in Microsoft Teams. This means that anyone with a business or consumer email account, such as Outlook.com, Gmail.com or others, can participate as a guest in Teams with full access to team chats, meetings and files.

For more info, check out https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Collaborate-securely-with-anyone-in-Microsoft-Teams/ba-p/165941

Thank you all for your feedback and support!
    -Warren

749 comments

Comments are closed
    • Stanislav Zhelyazkov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow channel creation without teams. In some cases you would want to create public channels without actually having to create team. People can join and leave freely.

• bob sievewright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have many external customers and partners who all use Office365, therefore have an authenticated login. The ability to collaborate on projects together in a team environment would be brilliant. this we have done using 3rd party tools.
      For teams to succeed we would need the ability to invite external people to my team space.

• Dan B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I could only... add external collaborators from my LinkedIn contacts

• Craig Arnoldt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A Microsoft Account (or ID) can be any existing email address. It does not have to be hotmail or outlook.com.

• Scott Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with this and further, it would be awesome if we could invite additional members / contributors to channels within the team but not the whole team. An example is we run a sales team and have a channel for each customer account. There are external and internal contributors that are relevant for some channels (customers) but not all. Thanks guys, love this.

• Rockford Lhotka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All teams appear to be "private", so explicit invites are required. I'd like a company-wide team that includes channels of interest to all our employees, but that appears impossible at the moment?

• Nicklas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When working in Teams, theres the odd chance of needing to extend your team briefly. I.e create a channel where you can invite non team members to participate. Preferably non team member should be able to be outside the org also.

At least two cases:
      1. Invite with full channel access.
      2. invite to just the one thread/discussion within a channel.

• Joerg Hochwald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A interesting feature. Mostly because others (e.g. slack, hipchat) have such a feature.
      And I think that nearly everybody needs such a feature... collaboration goes beyond all the company boarders today.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I assumed this could be solved by adding Guests to the O365 Group behind the Team, which I did. But alas, those Guests don't show up in the Teams view of the O365 Group.

1 2 34 35 36 38 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base