How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Guest Access

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

8,136 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Warren responded  · 

The #1 requested feature for Microsoft Teams is now here!

We’re starting to roll out the ability to add anyone as a guest in Microsoft Teams. This means that anyone with a business or consumer email account, such as Outlook.com, Gmail.com or others, can participate as a guest in Teams with full access to team chats, meetings and files.

For more info, check out https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Collaborate-securely-with-anyone-in-Microsoft-Teams/ba-p/165941

Thank you all for your feedback and support!
-Warren

765 comments

Comments are closed
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a MUST. Please provide an ETA on this, as we can't start using this great tool until this feature is live. Thank you!

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We still use the old OCS Group chat and Teams looks like a great option for replacing this.

We need to be able to search for Teams / Channels as you can today in OCS Group Chat and people can request to join private ones and an admin will approve their join request and if the channel is public they can just join at their own free will.

• Erik Umenhofer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Going to agree with everyone on this, it's a nightmare to try and get the client and their vendors all in on a SharePoint site or other MS platforms. We created an automated (sort of automated) system for creating temp accounts for clients and vendors to get into our AD system. No one wants to do this, it's an admin nightmare. Slack seems to have it figured out well, you can get anyone you want in on a project. Please consider this a top priority.

• Cristian Carlsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lot's of consultants in our projects, a few with o365 accounts but in another tennant, and others with no o365 account.

Please make it easy so that it is just to add a email adress and they choose to log in with another tennant or a ms account, otherwise it will not be something we can use...

• Mark Scholman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should allow anyone with a email address to be able to join. (like slack) I understand the business behind it to drive consumption on O365, but consider this, for external signups;
    - Readonly access to files in O365Groups using teams using email claim.
    - Allow to chat / meet on topics in the team channels.
    - When the external user signs up with an account that has a valid o365 subscription for teams, then allow access and functionality like internal employees for that team. Access to files should be claims based in that case in the O365 Group files sections in order to participate like I think it is today to provide access?

• GregoryV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed.... need dynamic memberships. I need to be able to join and leave a team at will.

perfect example. A team called Helpdesk Questions. It has regular team members - the helpdesk staff, but I want users to join it, ask their quick support question and then leave when its answered so they don't deal with the noise in the room. For this to work though, the room list must be searchable as well so people can find and join the right team room.

• Muhammad Usman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be 2 things done in Microsoft Team, 1st Allow External Users atleast who can have live ID and last Make skype for business to be able to contact with users who have normal skype

• JK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a start-up company with 2 employees so far. I have an Office 365 subscription and I constantly share files with external users. Teams is a great tool but if I can't use it to communicate with my Clients or external users it is a no go for me. At least have an ability to communicate with other Office 365 tenants.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must for us too, but I can see why it's not straight-forward. Teams appear to be a "front" for O365 Groups - ergo, each Team has a 1-to-1 relationship with a Group that is created behind the scenes and acts as the security scope for the Team. this results in quite rigid structures Teams and channels.

Slack, for us, is nice and open and flexible (anyone can create a private or public channel), and that's why our users love it. It's a shame, because Teams is effectively free.

• Graeme Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, there are some things that are company wide that we want people to be able to access, but having a separate team that everyone is automatically in seems cumbersome

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have, our team products have multiple consumers within the company, we need a channel for them to subscribe for all notifications, discussions.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a deal-breaker for us. We use Slack to help centralize communication with clients on projects. Until Teams has this function we can't even consider moving away from Slack

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.