How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Guest Access

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

6,668 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments in this thread, tweets, emails and calls. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me with any questions at all; I’m here for YOU! I’ll continue to update this ticket as we make progress towards MSA.

Just in case you missed it, there is a FAQs in the Guest Access Help Article. Just click the “FAQs” tab here: https://aka.ms/GuestAccessHelp We’re updating them this week with new questions we’ve been getting, like “Is Guest Access available for Business Essentials licenses?” (The answer is yes.)

Lastly, the team is starting work on Federation so I’ve broken out Federation into its own UserVoice ticket. Please vote and subscribe to updates on its progress here: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/20566714

Warmly,
    Suphatra

648 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Greetings to all.
        I have been waiting for MS to solve this issue, but unfortunatelly no solution is proposed and it seems that none will be available in the near future. I am moving to another option to managema my team collaboration.
        Sorry MS team.

• Dxb D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Everyone. Have stopped using teams. 2 other companies I work with have actually got so annoyed with microsoft and the complete failure to deliver features on a timeline that they have have dumped microsoft and switched to gsuite and slack. The basics done right for small business with true unlimited file storage. People are happy to live with gsuite not being as full featured when those features are not even required by majority of users. 3rd party planning apps work better than planner. What a huge mess you have created microsoft. huge huge sloppy mess.

Any updates on timeline for true guest access? It's been 2 months since the last update.

Not a new comment I know, but to emphasize:
        If you can't collaborate with e v e r y o n e , you won't collaborate at all.

• Lars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

need to be able to Chat and collaborate with anyone using Teams - non team users, yes - but for now at least Teams users from any domain

• Rob Perkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sure would be nice if I could add B2C tenant accounts as guests in Teams. The contact and support potential for my very small business seems ideal; I'm never going to go to Dynamics 365 for CRM.

True guest accounts are guests. You don't require them to buy licenses.

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This product is useless until TRUE guest access is enabled. There should be no dependency on having an O365 account or a microsoft account to participate. Slack's been doing this for a very long time. And this is the reason why Slack is well ahead on MS Teams. I don't know what MS was thinking. They should already have an idea on where they need to be and that is to be competitive with Slack. Because of this missing feature we are not using MS Teams and we cannot tell our users who have been using Slack to stop using it. We need to provide an alternative and MS Teams isn't a viable option. Very disappointed MS.

• Pete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for making this happen.... BUT!!!
        Having to switch accounts makes this almost completely useless. I don't get notifications unless I am signed in to the account. So on my phone I am missing the info from my own internal team while on the one from a partner company. Notifications need to work across accounts.

• SimonS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not a fan of the switching account experience. I'd like to see the team for all my accounts (and guest accounts) simultaneously

Also rather then when you say @mentioning a guest, and it shows "<name> (Guest)" show "<name> (<authenticating subscription>)" instead?

• Nabil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@suphatra Hello , did not hear from you since September 13. we need to know if Microsoft has it in plan to be the Ultimate Communication and Collaboration & Confluence alike Tool with " Team" Or just keeping it as is.
        appreciate you reply--as we can use Skype for business ( to chat & call outside )and Team for inside ... Not logical.

We are a not-for-profit and we traditionally work with more people outside (guests) than inside. Not-for--profits tend to have lean staffs but boards of trustees/directors, committee members, and volunteers that work for us on a regular basis - none of whom have a domain address. So guest access is very important to us as little is done without a mix of staff and volunteers.

• Chris Köhler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a crucial issue.

For a successful adoption of Teams open guest accounts are absolutely necessary. We need to allow / disallow this option by team or for the whole organisation.

If you remove this obstacle, you'll have a real chance of compete with Slack.
        I'd appriciate if you put your energy on openess and easy adoption and don't repeat the failures from the past.

• Jacqueline Sirmon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our environment, K-12 School District collaborating with many external entities, Teams looked to be an excellent option, but the requirement to have an Office 365 Business Account (personal Office 365 accounts don't work) precludes inviting guests to TEAMS. Even after adding the user to our Azure AD portal as a guest, they get an invitation to create an Office 365 account, which redirects to https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com where they are greeted with "Apps There are no applications available. Please contact your admin for more information." (They shouldn't be prompted to create an account if it gives them access to nothing.)
        Adding them as a member to a Team (which is only accomplished after adding the user to our Azure AD portal as a guest) provides the user with an invitation to log in, but when attempting to login at the Microsoft Teams login page, they get the message "gmail.com (outlook.com, Hotmail.com etc) isn't in our system Make sure you typed your email address correctly. It usually looks like someone@example.com or someone@example.onmicrosoft.com"

Office 365 Groups managed to figure out how to invite a guest without requiring an account and how to ensure access expired after a pre-determined time frame. Expiring access is necessary in our environment.

I look forward to TEAMS capability of adding guest users without guests having to create a Microsoft account. As another person mentioned, having the capability to share just one channel with that user and having the option to ensure that certain documents don't get shared would be quite beneficial too.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As everybody is already saying, a GUEST should be ANYBODY in or out of any organization, not just those that are already using microsoft products and have work/school type accounts.
        We should be able to add truly anybody as a guest INCLUDING those in our own organization that dont otherwise have a need for Office licenses, as a full paid office subscription is not justified for somebody that only needs teams.

• Aaron Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to AAD accounts, please enable support for all Social Auth scenarios that are supported by AAD B2C; Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, MSA, etc. It should default to AAD (make it big so that users ideally chose this), next allow then to pick a social auth, finally, allow them to create an account, but stop them from trying to create an (MS) account if the email address matches an AAD account. <-- this will result in a great UX that will really help Teams be successful.

Also, please ensure that switching between teams is seamless. Do it at least as well as Slack

← Previous 1 3 4 5 32 33

Feedback and Knowledge Base