How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Guest Access

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

7,957 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

734 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company is using Slack because this feature is not available in MS Teams. Once a tool get's entrenched, it's hard to change. Is Guess Access for Non MS Office 365 users on the road map for delivery?

Is this MS Team external guest access (for non-Office 365 users) feature on the road map anywhere and is labeled differently? I'm not seeing this here: https://aka.ms/teamsroadmap

If it is not on the road map, what does a status of "working on it" imply for any potential delivery date?

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Progress is being made on what Warren? It's clear that the crux of this thread is that current features are inadequate.

Great to hear you're working on them - but clearly there's a need to understand if they'll be fit for purpose.

• Kurt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I leave MS TEams as a guest? I am member of 4 different tennants as a guest. Can I leave them on my own?

• Peter Ruzicska commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need IT control about the invitations, probably an accept-deny email to the IT team would be enough BEFORE the invitation sent out. Also a simple Microsoft account should be enough to be a guest.

Glad to see this is being worked on as it is a total blocker. I'd drop other things and focus on this as the top priority if you aren't already. Let us know when finished and we'll reconsider Teams but we have no choice but to stay with Slack for now.

• Alison Trinidad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Feedback re the new features on MS Teams rolled out today. Tested by sending invitation to personal email. When trying to click on the link in the email invitation from my personal MacBook Pro (which does not have Teams app installed), the link was not recognized by Safari or Chrome, nor was it recognized on my personal iPhone. As the meeting organizer, when I clicked on the link from MS Outlook, it opened a link in Safari no problem and automatically transferred to the MS Teams app.

The call-in function worked perfectly, though. Just couldn't share screen or present.

• Jed Boulton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Only Office 365 work or school accounts can be added as guests." thanks! now my engineering group is going to communicate with their software dev consultants via slack. This should have been built into this product from the beginning

Guest Access for parents would be helpful as schools begin to implement Teams within their classrooms. Many parents will not have an email address that aligns with Office 365 and this would create a huge barrier between home/school communication.

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I assign a Teams license to a Guest to allow them to be an admin of a Team?

This is extremely limiting to my team and appears it should be a rather quick and easy fix. Please get on it! This product is still in alpha stages at best.

• Rogier Blok commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guest Access (without Microsoft account) would make this product so much better. As a Global project organization it is essential for us in the further roll-out of Teams.

• Shawn Keene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The FAQ is not clear about Microsoft Accounts, or if we can invite someone in our Azure AD that doesn't have an office license assigned (like a contractual temp worker that needs to collaborate with a team).

Existing guest access does not work. My vendor has O365 and uses Teams, but gets an error every time they try to follow the invitation link - "Issue Type: Failed to accept invitation". This is such a basic failure. Both companies have opened tickets with MS and the responses have been 100% unhelpful. We'll keep using Slack until Teams's basic functionality actually works.

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was excited when reading through this and saw "IT'S HERE!" It's not here. You've just allowed paid Microsoft customers to use resources in someone else's tenant. We need real guest access to be able to implement this anywhere.

• N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@warren I want to implement this today, but it's not possible. Collaborating with several firms on one project can't be done. Some of them use Google for Business or self-hosted emails. I imagine a few of them have O365 but certainly not all. I suppose that leaves Slack... alas

• J. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it public, allowing anyone to be added, not only MS subscription holders. It can only add value and a positive image to MS Teams

• Joshua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's super easy to do that. Not sure what's holding you. Just create a special user account...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 36 37

Feedback and Knowledge Base