How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Guest Access

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

6,087 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela SzeAngela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments in this thread, tweets, emails and calls. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me with any questions at all; I’m here for YOU! I’ll continue to update this ticket as we make progress towards MSA.

Just in case you missed it, there is a FAQs in the Guest Access Help Article. Just click the “FAQs” tab here: https://aka.ms/GuestAccessHelp We’re updating them this week with new questions we’ve been getting, like “Is Guest Access available for Business Essentials licenses?” (The answer is yes.)

Lastly, the team is starting work on Federation so I’ve broken out Federation into its own UserVoice ticket. Please vote and subscribe to updates on its progress here: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/20566714

Warmly,
    Suphatra

601 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sane NoblesSane Nobles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add another person to the list of the disappointed. Requiring an O365 account is just annoying.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The initial attempt at guest access is extremely disappointing. Our organization currently uses Google for collaboration with external users in the education community, which is extremely easy to manage. The way things are right now with Office 365, there is no way we can move from Google Communities to Office 365. The barrier to entry for our external users is unacceptable.

• seif eddineseif eddine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really disappointed by the tenant switching, simply unusable.. (diffrent chrome sessions is not a solution for me)

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GOAL MISSED!!!

Microsoft probably doesn't learn from past errors and requires a Microsoft account again.
        We will advise our customers not to use "Teams" until further notice.

• RikRik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't what was asked imho.
        We need to be able to add access for users with external accounts (e.g. gmail, corporate, ...) just like you can in Slack.
        We'll be staying with slack until this feature is implemented.

• Alexander TihmeAlexander Tihme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The guest access is great, but you need to make the appearance of the message, that notifies a user, that guests are part of a team much more prominent-flashy-shiny, because this is vital for many companies. Also a possibility to attach a guideline or policy to the message showing a companies rules on how to handle external participants would be great to have.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am missing mobile access for externals to a Team. I.e. I have been invited as an external member of a Team and I'm able to access it through my PC, but not through the mobile app. This is greatly missed. Any plans when it will come?

• ericeric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current implementation on the client side is ugly as ****. the idea of switching to a guest account in a different tenant is terrible. The teams and users in other orgs should be presented along side your native tenant's teams/users maybe with an icon to indicate they're from a different tenant.

• ScottJScottJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with the overwhelming number of comments here and say it's very deceptive for Microsoft to claim they've implemented the Guest Access feature, when in fact they haven't ("guest" should mean anyone, not just those who have a Microsoft service email account). We've switched to Asana and will not be going back to Teams until there's a way to openly add anyone we want to the team.

• Liam KempLiam Kemp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will support for Guest Access be coming to mobile devices in the near future? Right now we get a message to say that "Loading other organisation data is not supported currently"

• TerriTerri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to use Teams' OneNote for student electronic portfolios (gr 9-12), and give parents access to "view" content; also have a section for parent comments.

Also,Teachers need a private page in the notebook in Teams, that students and parents can not see. About how long till this will be ready? We are eager to get started on student portfolios!
        Thanks,

• Darren OddenDarren Odden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

for those that want to add users in from emails that are not in the Microsoft ecosystem, go to portal.azure.com and Active Directory. Click on Add Guest and enter the email address from there...

• Darren OddenDarren Odden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Only Office 365 work or school accounts can be added as guests."

Seriously? I have left the GSuite ecosystem for Microsoft, and have more struggles communicating with my customers and contractors who largely live in the GSuite world. I can't give any traction to Teams because I can't talk to the people I need to. Seriously?

• Nole EdgeNole Edge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incredibly disappointing to of waited so long for this feature release and have it fall so far short, this is very unlike the Microsoft we have got to know in recent years.

The ability for us to of add external contractors, regardless of if they are a Microsoft Licensed Organisation or not, is a critical and non-negotiable requirement which is available in other comparable tools in the market.

Can you please clarify if this is a feature that is expected to be delivered?

• Josh ColeJosh Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's very frustrating that I can only add users that have existing accounts within the Microsoft ecosystem. I really just need the ability to invite guests to my account regardless of their identity provider.

This limitation makes Teams unusable for me which is a shame. So I'll have to go back to using Slack.

• MSOMSO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This solution is completely laughable.

The Guest Access help states:
        "Only users who have an email address corresponding to an Azure Active Directory or Office 365 work or school account can be added as a guest user."

My externals, which I need as Guests, will NOT be creating a separate Azure or Office 365 account to be able to log into this system. Seriously, it cannot be that hard to accept non-Microsoft email address into Teams as guests? This is just another attempt at vendor lock-in. Seems like our choice of Microsoft Teams was the incorrect choice, and we should consider Slack again...

Very disappointing, especially after all this wait..

• Jon Morley-JonesJon Morley-Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have tried the Guest Feature; I invited from Organisation 1 a user from Organisation 2 with adding a new member from the Teams Desktop UI. The user in Organisation 2 got an email invitation and accepted. Tried to access Team in Web and got a "You're missing out!
        Ask your IT administrator for access to Microsoft Teams." message. The same user went into Team Desktop and had an Organisation 1 details under the menu in Accounts.
        Click on it and get the same message.

Investigating this further Organisation 1 didn't enable guess access in the Settings App under Teams. as per https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Guest-access-in-Microsoft-Teams-bd4cdeec-4044-4b4b-9df1-beb139013a3f

I don't see that a user on Organisation 1 should even get the option to invite a Guest user if that Organisation doesn't have Guess access switched on within that Tenancy.

Is this a bug you are working on? As it feels like a poor user experience.

How can I remove the Account now in Organisation 2 user if Organisation 1 isn't likely to switch on the feature.

• HHHH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DOA due to the requirement that your contacts/guests use Office 365 :(

• Norm SashNorm Sash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi… great news on the partial guest access. Does this mean that if I add an external user to my contacts with an email of name@xyz com I will be able to add them to my team? It doesn't appear so. Sounds like they have to have an Azure account which most my outside contacts don't have. And the notes say a Microsoft account isn't supported… so… sounds like I still can't use teams, although this is a step closer….

← Previous 1 3 4 5 29 30

Feedback and Knowledge Base