How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Guest Access

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

8,141 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

The #1 requested feature for Microsoft Teams is now here!

We’re starting to roll out the ability to add anyone as a guest in Microsoft Teams. This means that anyone with a business or consumer email account, such as Outlook.com, Gmail.com or others, can participate as a guest in Teams with full access to team chats, meetings and files.

For more info, check out https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Collaborate-securely-with-anyone-in-Microsoft-Teams/ba-p/165941

Thank you all for your feedback and support!
    -Warren

749 comments

Comments are closed
    • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to use teams in place of WhatsApp but the need to be able to add someone out of our organization and without a MS account into a team, a chat, a call is really a prerequisite. Without that functionality, teams is useless for big company like ours who have more than 50.000 users working everyday with people outside our company and who doesn't have a MS account.

When that will be possible ?

• Marco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? This is a showstopper for the company and our operations.

• David Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

some of our contractors are 1099 who do not have office 365 (ie they may have gmail) and we would love to be able to chat with them externally within Teams

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well it's been months since I last checked on the status of this, and sad to see nothing has changed. It's still another useless tool in the 365 suite. How can this have the highest votes on the Teams uservoice and just sit here with nothing being done. Without guest access I can't use teams so every other feature is pointless.

Come on Microsoft. Please give us an update on this. You pretend this is a user voice channel but in reality I see no communication from Microsoft on this issue since September. Either do offer the functionality or don't. You are further losing credibility by spinning giving O365 Users guest access as real guest access and also by saying nothing since September

• G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to hear about when guest access for non-Microsoft accounts will be ready. Please keep us informed!

I think it is time that people face the facts. This feature isn't coming. No profit in it for them and the cost to implement it is too high. Teams is dead in water without this feature for us. I am sure lots of people don't care about ip phone integration either. It is like Microsoft forcing to use their phone system by not allowing us to talk with customers / partners etc in teams as guests because they might loose customers who purchase their cloud phone product.

I highly recommend people who are new to this thread to move on with something else like slack. It works! All the promises of outlook business premium have mostly been broken and nearly all the collaboration features as marketed in Teams, Planner, Outlook Customer manager DO NOT WORK. Microsoft even had the balls to release invoicing, mile tracker and business center to users in 3 select countries and withhold from the rest of the world all while charging the SAME PRICE! If your company can make do with microsoft essentials then the value for money makes sense. To any company investigating business premium save your money and look elsewhere because there is little to no real usable integration between most of products in this "productivity" suite. We have lost a year on this and are now moving back to google. I hate that microsoft forced us to do this and will think twice before ever recommending microsoft again.

So, as I posted, can we please have confirmation if guest access for non Office 365 education/Business accounts is being looked at or not by Microsoft?

• Atul Srivastava commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need the ability for people outside of our organization (who don't have an account in Azure AD or Office 365 or Live) to be able to join a meeting being conducted using MS Teams. Today MS Teams allows them to dial into the bridge (w/ E5 license) but they cannot join the meeting from a computer, share or see content. This is severely limiting. We currently conduct online meetings extensively with outside people using Skype for Business. Without the ability for external people to join as guest in MS TEams, we cannot launch MS Teams as Skype for Business replacement for collaboration and communication. I'm sure there are many people in the same boat as we are.

• Jacky L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very disappointed to have a communication/collaboration tool has huge limitation on guest access...
      Please allow external user who doesn't have account in Azure AD/Office 365 to able to join as guest in Teams, not necessary Groups for now!!!

Hi Suphatra,

There are lots of comments about Guest access and how it should be available for the users that have non Office 365 business/school accounts. Are you able to confirm if this will be possible shortly or it is not going to be available?

Thanks

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can switch from my main tenant to Guest tenant from the menu without any issues...something changed recently where I no longer switch back into the main tenant without logging out of Teams and then logging back in.

• Anders Wall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Must have acces to external users/consultant else Teams don't work. Is using BAsecamp now. Will continue to use that as long as ther is no support for Externa users in Team.

• Lars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone, as a growing digital agency a "no strings attached open guest access" is a fundamental requirement. We need to collaborate with partners, freelancers and clients in mixed teams using multichannel chats and video/audio conferencing. If this feature is not included soon, we will look elsewhere, namely at hipchat or slack.

I've added guests to a Team, they have access to the channels and conversations but not to any files - "you don't have permission" is what they get trying to access / download. This is making it useless, any ideas?

• David Rodriguez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should be able to any user to a teams channel regardless of them having a office 365 account or not. Currently when I add a user I am able to add the guest account, however, then the guest user logs in they are presented with the attached message:

"You're missing out! Ask your IT administrator for access to Microsoft Teams."

Feedback and Knowledge Base