How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Guest Access

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

6,382 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela SzeAngela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  SuphatraAdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments in this thread, tweets, emails and calls. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me with any questions at all; I’m here for YOU! I’ll continue to update this ticket as we make progress towards MSA.

Just in case you missed it, there is a FAQs in the Guest Access Help Article. Just click the “FAQs” tab here: https://aka.ms/GuestAccessHelp We’re updating them this week with new questions we’ve been getting, like “Is Guest Access available for Business Essentials licenses?” (The answer is yes.)

Lastly, the team is starting work on Federation so I’ve broken out Federation into its own UserVoice ticket. Please vote and subscribe to updates on its progress here: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/20566714

Warmly,
    Suphatra

630 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Manuel MarholdManuel Marhold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra,
        we tested the guest access with a partner company. I have to say that we are both a little bit disappointed.
        He invited me as a guest. So now I have two “accounts” where I have to switch between them. Also, I don’t get any push-notifications for the “other” account, I only see a number-mark after a while (don’t know how much time it takes until I get the info).
        And I cannot change my account on my mobile device.

We both think that it should be like this: when he invites me to one of his teams, I can join and see them as a time in my list of teams. Maybe the teams are grouped by company (you call it "account"), so I have them in one list. I can flag them as favorite, follow them and chat with the partners employees. Finally, I get push-notifications and can use it on mobile device, because it is like an own team. And for chat: it would be grate to create a chat with all participants of both "accounts", so when we have 3 people and they have 5 people, we can create a chat with all 8 people, but not with non-invited people.

I think this feature is neccessary and sould be enchanced. And for sure no need of O365 account for that.

Kind regards,
        Manuel

• Matej KastnerMatej Kastner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hallo Suphatra, as mentioned by several people already - guest access should be for anyone - please put out restriction to school/work accounts and include any microsoft account to be able to join. Thx

• ChristopherChristopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe it is a first step, when you can use a regular MS-Account alternatively to a Company- or School-Account.

• PatrickPatrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was only able to add a guest by sending the invite to their @domain.onmicrosoft.com email address? When I sent it to there @domain.com, Teams kept logging them into their tenant when they clicked on the invite. Is this the expected behavior?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I added a two personal email addresses to azure AD as guests to try this out. One has a home subscription to office365, this account works just fine, this is a custom domain. The other is a gmail account and even though it's a guest in Azure AD it does not work. how can we get a detailed chart of what does and does not work?

• AndreasAndreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been a month now so at the very least some kind of time frame for MSA guest accounts and mobile guest access would be nice. Be as rough as you want/need with it but give us something, 1-4 weeks, 1-2 months, < 6 months, < 1 year?

• MartinMartin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any timeframe for the true guest access to MS Teams? It's useless without it.

• Simon RayfieldSimon Rayfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having waited for this for months so our external vendors could connect into us the release is terrible and just doesnt work. Very limited and of new use really, especially given many copanies dont use O365 at all. Back to Slack then it looks like

• Joe CollinsJoe Collins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The announcement message release a few weeks ago on the inclusion of Guest access to Teams was very positive however it FAILS to blatantly point out that it is ONLY available if the guest is Already has a MS Live, school or work account. We STILL cannot invite a true guest like we can in sharepoint. It should send the invite and include instructions for the guest to create a MS account if they don't already have one.

Subject: Guest access in Microsoft Teams, on mobile apps.

Really disappointed with the way this feature has been rolled out.

First big announcement comes out - that doesn't include full details as to what kind of licence the guest will need for office 365 to be able to join the Teams as guest.

We sent invites to our valued customers, who try to access it for two days before realising they need to upgrade it to one of the business premium or higher plans.

They did it.

Now, they finally can access our Teams and chat with us as guest. [only on a computer]

But lol, they can't access it on any of the mobile apps.

That means - the whole purpose of the MS Teams being quick, efficient communications on the go, that purpose is nullified.

Come on....fix it.
        It should be available on all platforms at the same time. It is absolutely no good if the guests can't use it on any of the mobile apps[iOS or android].

• GavGav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, with the news that microsoft intends to push forward with Teams as a replacement for Skype for Business I'd just like to add my voice to the chorus asking for Guest acces to be properly added.
        Having Teams only support Office 365 business accounts and not incl. on prem s4b and other chat networks is very limiting. If you push ahead with this without addressing these issues we will be have to move to a 3rd party.

• TomasTomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still miss some place for bug reports and because feedback in Teams leads here, here you have it. I noticed a bug. Try to add a guest and then remove it. Header says - This team contains users from outside your organization - even though guests were removed.

• MSOMSO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quite a few Anonymous people have said that Guest works for non MS accounts, but that's not true!

We have tried multiple times to add externals to our SP and Azure Directory, enabled Guest access, and then added Guests to Teams. To no avail.. It.just.doesn't.work!

We get the Teams server sending multiple notifications in the "General" channel saying
        <admin> has added <guest> (Guest) as a guest to the team
        <admin> removed <guest> (Guest) from the team
        <guest> (Guest) was added as a guest to the team.

But when they try to actually log in, all they get is
        "gmail.com isn't in our system
        Make sure you typed your email address correctly. It usually looks like someone@example.com or someone@example.onmicrosoft.com"

This is truly a significant failure from the <Microsoft Teams> team, not listening to what people really want, and require. And instead of fixing said failed feature, they are moving on to Federation???

@Suphatra You guys really need to recollect your thoughts, and implement proper Guest support. Right now, I cannot include my off-shore team to Teams access!

Hey guys, it just works fine (also non MS accounts)! I thinks its rather normal to manage user access (even if it is just a guest) through the IT department. And it is a small thing to do for them.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32

Feedback and Knowledge Base