How can we make Teams better?

External Access and Federation

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

4,184 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela SzeAngela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

You may have already heard this because we announced this date at our public release of Teams last month, but I thought I’d email everyone just in case they didn’t get the news. We’ve publicly committed to a date for this feature, and it is June!

Its a difficult feature to pull off, and we want to make sure to get it right for you. Thank you for your patience and most of all, thank you for bringing this idea for us! We’re excited to soon be able to mark the #1 UserVoice item as complete. :-)

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

248 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mobeen AshrafMobeen Ashraf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams a great product, however, time is getting on for our organisation as we are in the midst of expansion and collaborating with external organisations is a crucial requirement if we are going to continue using teams.

The ability to selectively invite external users just for the duration of a project is very important to us.

Regarding security, the selected external users must only be allowed to access the teams files and not any other files on Share Point. This maybe an obvious statement but thought I say it anyway.

Thank you.
        Mobeen

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you be any more specific yet with regards to a June release date - like many others have mentioned we are also faced with the Slack vs (external) Teams delima, and continually responding with it's coming soon isn't really cutting it with one or two of our internal teams. Being able to give them a specific date would help.

• Roni BanerjeeRoni Banerjee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will be a huge boost to our communication strategy. We used Teams internally but Slack for all external collaboration - nightmare trying to compare...we stopped using Teams...Slack is missing so much of the good things that Teams has. Can't wait. Tnx!

Hopefully users can sign-up using standard email or social media accounts...

• Phil NickolaiPhil Nickolai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking forward to this! The ability to collaborate with teams that are both internal and internal/external is critical. For us, it's as much about warding off the use of other solutions that have had this functionality for a long time, because it's that important to how we work.

Hi

I would like to add if possible teams to the outlook desktop for Office 2016, so we can access the app within one place like groups and planner.

Hi,

I work in a company that manages a network of schools, inside and outside my country.
        I need to create a group or team that can add the IT Managers from the 8 schools, which each has a domain different, to share calendars, files, trainings dates, trainings files, etc...

with groups this was not possible and with teams I am facing the same issue.

Another example, if all english teachers need to share documents, lessons, ideas, videos, etc.. I need to create to them a group or a team for the english teachers of the 8 schools.

Hope to work on this issue and solve it the soonest.

+1 for us too... without it, MS Teams cannot replace Slack. Please do it ASAP. thx.

• Grzegorz SzypaGrzegorz Szypa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Could you tell or share a link with information, when in which day in June it will be available in public?

Our organization has users which are not all strictly in same domain.

E.g., my email is David.Hiskiyahu@BrinksGlobal.com, and one of my colleagues is Firstname.Lastname@brinksinc.com - due to some internal organizational structure.

I created a team and tried to include some people from the one domain and some from the other, but can find only colleagues from my own domain.

Is there a way to overcome the boundary and to somehow mix members of multiple domains in same team?

Skype for Business does it - one can search for users with some default common pseudo domain, e.g. Firstname.Lastname@brinks.com, and as a result we can chat across the domains.

This feature is a must. I would not have even downloaded the app if I knew in advance it wasn't possible. Please keep me informed.

• Robert BertoraRobert Bertora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suphatra is absolutely right its a EPIC of a feature, needs a huge amount of diligent thinking to get right. But eager to see what gets done on this.

• DarrinDarrin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you tell me if this feature will be adding people to the team or will it allow for adding them just to a channel or two?

Thanks for adding this feature to Teams - it is truly a vital factor for us as a small charity to be able to allow trustees and staff to collaborate.

Sweet! Please also allow external users to access files (with permission) and collaborate with internal team members.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base