How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

External Access and Federation

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70% of a team to participate, it breaks. If a tool does not allow 100% of those who need to be involved to participate equally, if breaks and our users and clients have far too many alternative solutions that they can easily adopt (Slack etc.) to quickly and efficiently do their jobs.

Finally, making external parties sign up for a Microsoft account (such as Hotmail) to authenticate against any collaboration service does not work, and better approach is required and needed.

5,669 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela SzeAngela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey guys, I’m rallying to get you more info. In the meantime, here’s the official response from our PR team:

“We are actively working on guest access. Thanks for your patience and stay tuned for more."

I share in your frustration and promise we are dedicated to delivering this feature, and I promise to continue to advocate for you. I appreciate your investment in us and Teams’ success.

If you have any questions, as always — just email or tweet.

-Suphatra

Twitter: skprufo Email: sparavimicrosoft.com

451 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Johnny PierreJohnny Pierre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@fabiola Costa Can you confirm this is inside teams that you're able to add an external user? Can you post a screenshot?

• Fabio CostaFabio Costa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess MS is already rolling out something. I'm now able to add external users and I can then switch to another network, just like Yammer, down in the Settings/Picture menu.
        News are coming... yeeeeah

• RyanRyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hopefully it's not already done and MS is just saving it up for a big unveiling at ignite!
        We have business asking for this and it's going to stop momentum soon!

• diane montgomerydiane montgomery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would really like to see this very soon Microsoft - as a university our business is all about global collaboration, and there is optimism about this being a possible game changer - if you do it. Come on!

• Seamus M.Seamus M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been using Teams within our organization since the Beta. Our internal department has grown 25% and Teams covers that well. But we are starting to work with more consultants and developers.

I know this next statement is one of those "DUHHHH" statements. But the ability to incorporate these outside resources into the same flows we have with the internal teams would be great

Can we get an update on when this functionality will be available? It had been reported that it was going to be available in July and while the end of July was only a few weeks ago, it seems like it is never going to arrive.

I like some of the others below is holding off pressure to introduce (or at least look at) Slack

• Josue MendizabalJosue Mendizabal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been a long time wainting for this feature, our team have worked so hard to adopt Microsoft Teams during the last 5 months, there are two big troubles for us meanwhile 1) Reporting usage after be adopted more than +2k users and 2) this, the capability to collaborate with external users.

• NiklasNiklas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading all the comments, I guess or hope that Microsoft feels that we really want it ;-)

• grangegrange commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Three weeks since your last comment Suphatra... Holyday ? Last chance, last week, before Slack.

• Svein IngebrigtsenSvein Ingebrigtsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Three weeks since your last comment Suphatra. What is the status of external access...We ar many awaiting this feature!

• Sergio Io (sj-grp.com administrator)Sergio Io (sj-grp.com administrator) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 company with 2 talent on office365, i want to join 2 sets office365 as trust, and let them share anything as one group, even can create a Microsoft team to join both of 2 company users in there.

• MarkoMarko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were so excited for this nine months ago. But now our deadline is up. We're moving forward with Slack company-wide. Abandoning hope of Teams, and removing our use of Skype.
        We will not be revisiting this decision in the foreseeable future. On a personal note, I wish you guys just bought out Slack. Good luck in the future!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft be transparent and let us know when the funcionality of external Access will be available. Management of expectations.

• Dxb DDxb D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just typical of microsoft in the last year. They have been busy showing off renders of features and entire programs that have no working code. This is happening on products from teams, dynamics 365, people hub, story remix, windows timeline, Outlook customer manager etc. Today many months after promised delivery dates a lot of products are still vaporware or have delivered riddled with bugs so bad that the product is basically unusable or extremely feature limited. I think that in the last few years microsoft built up a huge amount of excitement with their talk about cloud push and by next year are expecting $20b in cloud revenue. However I don't see people continuing to invest in products that consistently fail to deliver. I expect to see a sharp reversal in that because in the last few months they have failed to deliver on every major announcement on every thing I have looked at from Dynamics365, O365 and Windows 10 this year. Everything is hype hype hype which is followed with silence and of course eventual disappointment. They seem to be breaking things faster than they can fix them. It took over a year to fix the disaster that was onedrive for business. Only now has basic functionality that it should have had on release date. So many companies lost critical data and experienced huge losses in time and productivity that it drove people to dropbox etc. Even today it doesn't match onedrive personal. If you google onedrive for business most results would scare any new potential user. Does everybody here remember the hype on the teams launch? Nadella on stage saying we are going to change how people work. Well yes you are right.....your changing people who adopted teams and are now forcing them to consider other options. How could they take the beta tag off a collaboration product when the collaboration portion is not complete?

I do apologise to users who are tired of reading negativity but this is a microsoft uservoice and I am tired of the corporate double talk. Microsoft PR are worse than politicians. Don't show us features or roadmaps that are pie in the sky. Never ever show demos until the product is ready to be immediately launched on the insider channel. Microsoft spends huge time and energy talking about major new features (that never come on time ever) but still manage to fail miserably on educating people on what is already available. I bet most users would struggle to understand the relationship between groups, sharepoint, planner etc. Microsoft PR should spend about 6-9 months per year promoting best practise with new tools released last year and allow engineering to actually make proper working feature updates. So frustrating when marketing is allowed to hype everything for shareholder sentiment while customer satisfaction goes down the drain.

• Robert LindbladRobert Lindblad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well... don't know if anyone guessed something along these lines previously, but my guess for the delay is that the guest access has to work universally in Office 365. Not just for Teams. It has to work for Planner and, probably the big holdup, Yammer.

Right now it's a split experience. You can create a Yammer-Yammer group with guest access, but not a Yammer-Office365group. An Office 365 Group has shared Sharepoint, Outlook Group, Teams and Planner. Any external invite does not get Planner and Teams though.

So I think the holdup is getting all this to work together. It is also a bit unfair to compare it to Slack being able to invite guest access. The security risks of "getting into Slack" are not comparable with "getting into an enterprises Office 365 tenant".

So with infinitely higher security demands and the complexity of bringing legacy software (Yammer) together with brand new software (Planner and Teams) and combining it all in one big unified function (Office 365 Groups) while moving all parts to Azure, I can understand a hick up here and there.

That being said - I long for and need this functionality badly. So any hopes, prayers and crossed fingers I have to give - they are given.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"I share in your frustration and promise we are dedicated to delivering this feature, and I promise to continue to advocate for you. I appreciate your investment in us and Teams’ success." Obviously, this is a bean counter issue. MS is hung up on how to open Teams up while not giving away access. Its all about the money, so why not come out and be open about it? The mind set that would come up with something called "Teams" that doesn't allow you to work with your team (name one team that doesn't need to work with someone outside at some point) can only be described as obtuse.

• Dave ZDave Z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Suphatra,
        Collaboration is mission critical for us and I would like to stay within the Microsoft universe, but Slack beckons with the advantage of guest access. I have to make my recommendation to our board as to the platform we will adopt for several years to come and I can't put Teams into the running until this access issue is solved - even though I would prefer to use Teams. Looking forward to this being resolved. Cheers, Dave

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23

Feedback and Knowledge Base