How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Auto scroll down when new messages come in

It is annoying to have to click on the “New Messages” button or scroll down manually when new messages arrive. The suggestion here is to keep scrolling down to bottom and to provide a button to jump back to last unread message.

3,976 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback and help on this item. It has been resolved for the majority of users: the screen no longer jumps around while scrolling or jumps to the latest message if you are scrolled up.

If you have any questions with this feature or find a bug, please email teamsml@microsoft.com with repro steps and user logs. Your feedback is always extremely helpful!

Thank you for your support of Teams and your patience while we worked on this item. I really appreciate it and wish you a very Happy New Year!

Suphatra

418 comments

Comments are closed
    • Keram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When the user is at the newest message, activate autoscroll. If the user has scrolled up to read older messages, do not activate autoscroll. Its a simple and widely used behavior in other chats and tools.

• Alejandro Araujo Rajzner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Sam G. Smooth scroll down that stops as soon as the user touches the mouse wheel, or just manually stops scrolling.

Why not enabling the ability to configure the scrolling behavior? That would certainly satisfy all needs.

Think about adding that setting in General, with around 4k votes this feature will definitely benefit us all.

• Sam G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@warren Define "if you are on the message". Does that mean the message is in view or that the message has focus (i.e. a user typing a response?)

Lets be honest and recognize that the current behavior is inconsistent with virtually all other [mainstream] chat applications which have the benefit of years of improvement from user experinence.

Not automatically scrolling to the bottom, simply put, is annoying as ****. Forcing a user to constantly click and scroll to "keep up" with the current message is mind-numbingly frustrating. Requiring that they scroll up to read a message they missed is a less common use case that is far less disruptive and aggravating.

If a user is reading a message when it scrolls up, they can simply refocus to continue reading. As other have mentioned, smooth scrolling would mitigate any negative user experience.

If a user has deliberately scrolled up to read messages, then obviously don't auto-scroll to the bottom. As mentioned by @rory, this behavior is similar to the output window in visual studio.

Messages would only "scroll by too fast" if user were deliberately trying to flood the chat with messages - a very rare case which isn't worth consideration.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Warren. I wouldn't like the screen scrolling automatically when I'm reading old messages

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mike - "'read more' is annoying. Is there a way to scale the view to see more text?"

A "compact mode" is in fact the #1 UI request - https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17408641-please-create-a-professional-compact-chat-layout - with over 7000 votes. Please vote and comment there too.

Microsoft say they are working on it (sharing no progress), say they have prototyped it (sharing no screenshots) and say they have tested it on users (sharing no results).

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Auto scroll is nice, but the 'read more' is annoying. Is there a way to scale the view to see more text? Sometimes, when on a fairly static slide, chats are flying by and you have to expand many/all of them, depending on the chatter. So two requests: Allow window resizing and turn on/off the 'read more' option.

• Abbas Dar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Warren, the message should not auto-scroll as I personally scroll up to read previous messages. I don’t want to be in the middle of a reading the history of messages for a new message to come in and auto-scroll me down to it. That would be so annoying!

• Andre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the chat stream does not scroll to the last message whenever the current conversation receives a new one. We have to mouse scroll every single time someone sends a message even when you are at the very bottom of the stream.
      This is a real pain because we have to reach the mouse and scroll down to read the message.
      Please fix it ASAP.
      Thanks!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can only see partial of the last message in chat. i have to expand it then shrink it to see the whole message

• Gordon Tyler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whether a message has focus is not very clear right now, or there may be a bug with how the highlight is displayed.

• Leon Gort commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

seems to happen recently when changing channels to view a new message. Have to scroll down to see new messages

• Derek IU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every time I type a message doesn't matter what channel I'm in it starts slowly scrolling. Very annoying.

• Buck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two cases:

1) Communicating live, immediately, in the present moment.
      2) Scrolling back in time.
      --
      1) If I am seeing the latest message, and am all the way scrolled down, you can assume I am "caught up" and would like to continue the conversation, wherever it leads, LIVE and in the moment. So, if I am seeing the latest message and am scrolled all the way to the bottom, and a new message comes in, scroll to include the new message so I can see the conversation progress as it unfolds in the moment - don't make me manually progress the conversation repeatedly.

2) At times, though, I need to scroll back in the conversation to regain context of what was talked about previously, especially with so many channels, chats, projects, and conversations to keep track of. When I need to regain context or review what has been said previously, I scroll up (back in time). If I have scrolled up in this way, it is more important for me to see what was said previously, which is what I'm searching for, rather than checking to see what gets added in the present moment. When I am focused on retrieving old information, don't yank me out of the past (where I need to be, temporarily) into the present (which can wait, for now, because it's not as important as what I'm trying to do)! If you do yank me out of the past, I will immediately try to scroll back in time again, to continue searching for the context I need to recapture, which means you failed in your design. If I have to do this repeatedly, I will curse the name Microsoft, will hate using your product, and will try to convince my organization to move to a competitor's product. It is that frustrating!

When I'm scrolling back in time, let me scroll freely to find what I need, but provide me with the ability to immediately jump back to the latest message (jump to the "present") by including in the UI a "new messages" button of some sort. When clicked, it would scroll me ahead to view the latest message (bring me "live" in the conversation, so to speak).

Twitch's mobile app chat includes this kind of scroll feature and does it very well, in my opinion - but their web app is horrid in this regard.

---
      After testing, it seems to be working the way that I describe above, and I like it. The only thing I might changes is how much time it takes for the "New Messages" button to appear. It seems to be delayed, somewhat, and there's no (user-facing) reason to delay it in that way. It seemed to be a delay of 2-3 seconds.

• someone from boston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do not do this.. while I am focusing on something else, I dont want to see the new message straight away. just a notification that I have a new message will do. But DO NOT want to go down to the new message automatically.

• Ricardo Novais Pereira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I personally would prefer the option to choose. I would set my settings to keep the most updated messages always on top, like a feed. This in case of the Teams tab, not the Chat tab, where I would keep the Messenger logic it has.

• Mohammad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it shows a small blue baloon saying "new message" but it doesn't scrol down ... I'd like that to scrol down just like other chat applications... and highlight them to a different color so that we know it's new. The highlight stays for a few seconds (can be adjusted in settings) after the main window gains focus

• rory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Studio Output window has the behavior I desire - if I am already scrolled all the way down, it auto-scrolls with new content. If I'm scrolled to some previous output, it stays.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21

Feedback and Knowledge Base