Auto scroll down when new messages come in
It is annoying to have to click on the “New Messages” button or scroll down manually when new messages arrive. The suggestion here is to keep scrolling down to bottom and to provide a button to jump back to last unread message.
Several updates shipped at the end of July. I wanted to get some feedback in the comments if you have seen an improvement on how the auto-scroll works.
If you are on the message it won’t auto-scroll because we don’t want to suddenly change the focus if you are in the midst of reading.
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments so I can bring your feedback to the feature team.
I can only see partial of the last message in chat. i have to expand it then shrink it to see the whole message
Gordon Tyler commented
Whether a message has focus is not very clear right now, or there may be a bug with how the highlight is displayed.
Leon Gort commented
seems to happen recently when changing channels to view a new message. Have to scroll down to see new messages
No, the issue is still a pain in the butt
Derek IU commented
Every time I type a message doesn't matter what channel I'm in it starts slowly scrolling. Very annoying.
1) Communicating live, immediately, in the present moment.
2) Scrolling back in time.
1) If I am seeing the latest message, and am all the way scrolled down, you can assume I am "caught up" and would like to continue the conversation, wherever it leads, LIVE and in the moment. So, if I am seeing the latest message and am scrolled all the way to the bottom, and a new message comes in, scroll to include the new message so I can see the conversation progress as it unfolds in the moment - don't make me manually progress the conversation repeatedly.
2) At times, though, I need to scroll back in the conversation to regain context of what was talked about previously, especially with so many channels, chats, projects, and conversations to keep track of. When I need to regain context or review what has been said previously, I scroll up (back in time). If I have scrolled up in this way, it is more important for me to see what was said previously, which is what I'm searching for, rather than checking to see what gets added in the present moment. When I am focused on retrieving old information, don't yank me out of the past (where I need to be, temporarily) into the present (which can wait, for now, because it's not as important as what I'm trying to do)! If you do yank me out of the past, I will immediately try to scroll back in time again, to continue searching for the context I need to recapture, which means you failed in your design. If I have to do this repeatedly, I will curse the name Microsoft, will hate using your product, and will try to convince my organization to move to a competitor's product. It is that frustrating!
When I'm scrolling back in time, let me scroll freely to find what I need, but provide me with the ability to immediately jump back to the latest message (jump to the "present") by including in the UI a "new messages" button of some sort. When clicked, it would scroll me ahead to view the latest message (bring me "live" in the conversation, so to speak).
Twitch's mobile app chat includes this kind of scroll feature and does it very well, in my opinion - but their web app is horrid in this regard.
After testing, it seems to be working the way that I describe above, and I like it. The only thing I might changes is how much time it takes for the "New Messages" button to appear. It seems to be delayed, somewhat, and there's no (user-facing) reason to delay it in that way. It seemed to be a delay of 2-3 seconds.
someone from boston commented
Do not do this.. while I am focusing on something else, I dont want to see the new message straight away. just a notification that I have a new message will do. But DO NOT want to go down to the new message automatically.
Ricardo Novais Pereira commented
I personally would prefer the option to choose. I would set my settings to keep the most updated messages always on top, like a feed. This in case of the Teams tab, not the Chat tab, where I would keep the Messenger logic it has.
it shows a small blue baloon saying "new message" but it doesn't scrol down ... I'd like that to scrol down just like other chat applications... and highlight them to a different color so that we know it's new. The highlight stays for a few seconds (can be adjusted in settings) after the main window gains focus
Visual Studio Output window has the behavior I desire - if I am already scrolled all the way down, it auto-scrolls with new content. If I'm scrolled to some previous output, it stays.
When you open the message start off on where you last read, rather than at the top.
Add a toggle (on/off) for each client inside of the application.
PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS! Some groups send many messages and when trying to read old ones, I don't want it to auto-scroll to bottom. At minimum, I'd like an option to turn on auto-scroll to new messages but overall this has been why I stopped using GroupMe.
The problem in chat today (Version 1.1.00.24759 updated on 13/09/2018.) is finding where you left off reading. Yes, there's a line showing the last read item, but I have to manually scroll up to find it. and sometimes it's quite far, to the point where Teams has to start fetching content from the server which becomes very slow to scroll through.
One possibility is to use a "jump to last unread" button like Hangouts does. Another, cleaner option is to follow Skype (desktop v7) and just auto scroll down until the first unread gets pushed to the top of the window, then stop there. This request was originally about not needing to click on "see next" when a new message came which was ridiculous, but you went a little too far.
Ideally it would be nice to see how many unread messages there are waiting in each chat too.
Travis Hodge commented
1:1 chat should always auto-scroll even if I am looking above the last line, team chat however is a different thing. I would say this could stay as is. You should also make this an option in the preferences to always auto-scroll.
I have seen no improvement whatsoever. I agree that it shouldn't auto-scroll down if I'm reading a previous part of the chat. But if I'm at the bottom or near the bottom of the chat, it should always auto-scroll down.
Additionally, the text box should be active 100% of the time unless I've actually selected text in the conversation history.
Yes come one guys, just look at any other chat program! Always auto-scroll!!
Frustrated User commented
My Teams client slowly scrolls up as type causing the most recent message that I am responding to at the bottom of the conversation to slowly be moved out of the screen as I am typing this response. If this is by design, I offer the opinion that it is a terrible design. I suspect it is a bug and hope it gets addressed soon.
At very least make it auto scroll down if i'm already at the bottom!
I agree with the mixed solution which has already been explained by others:
- am I currently at the bottom of chat window? -> scroll down with every new message
- did I scroll up to read previous messages? -> no auto-scroll but shortcut to go down to first unread message
- am i returning from another screen (chat, channel, etc.)? -> auto-position to first unread message and disable auto-scroll