or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Warren responded  · 

Good news. The feature, Unified Presence (aka same presence as Skype for business) is rolling out.

The feature update has started rolling out to customers.
    PLEASE NOTE: Not everyone will receive the update at the same time.

You can read more about the March releases on the Teams Blog – https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/What-s-new-in-Microsoft-Teams-April-update/ba-p/179801

Thank you very much for all your feedback.
    -Warren

521 comments

Comments are closed
    • Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To clarify I am going to see a user's presence without having to send them a message first right? I ask since this really needs to be added like yesterday because it is insanely frustrating not knowing what he status of someone is until you send them a message.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams really needs to present the individuals in your teams/originization in the same way Skype for business does who is available and their status. If collaboration is to happen then you cannot sit there wondering is one of your team members is going to respond or is available. You also need to see a list of the people or groups you communicate ... not just a list of the last people you messaged. We are virtual and this is essential!!!

• Oded Sitton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does it mean that user's presence at Teams will take into an account also user's Outlook Calendar as S4B does?

• stuart.lough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run both S4B and Teams. If Teams would show me appropriately available, away, in a meeting, then I would just use Teams.

• Eric McCormick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The majority of my company is still on Skype for Business, so wanting to maintain a visibility of presence to them, I run both S4B and Teams. If Teams would show me appropriately available, away, in a meeting, then I would just use Teams.

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using Skype for Business at the same time because honestly, SB users are not getting Teams sent messages and vice-versa STILL. Teams still doesn't do regular Skype either.
      Also, Skype for Business presence takes into account calendar events and meetings, as well as activity on the machine.

But seriously for collab with external contacts we are still using Slack because external contacts are not in our AD nor will ever be.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see Teams status set based on machine activity with the option to override manually.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype for Business is horrible, but it seems to get presence right most of the time. I think you need to allow options to either fix presence manually (eg. I'm busy), base it on machine use (eg. Away after a period of inactivity, screensaver kicks in, or the machine is locked), or base it on Teams usage (as it is now - I can see a use case for this: while I'm in Teams I'm available for chat, but when I switch to another application I'm doing real work, so "Don't disturb"!). Default should be the second option, that's what most people will be used to.

• Michael Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it should be a combination of both. Skype for Business presence takes into account calendar events and meetings, as well as activity on the machine. Why can't Teams do that as well?

My company also uses both Teams and S4B. Part of the issue is presence... people who are looking at Outlook or S4B see me as away/offline if I don't have S4B open, even if I DO have Teams running (regardless of Teams' presence indication). So I keep S4B open because otherwise people won't know they can message me (even though Teams does receive messages from S4B). Additionally, S4B allows us to schedule meetings in outlook, which we can later join directly from the event notification. This is nice, and currently (as far as I know) Teams does not allow us to do this. Finally, we also collaborate with external resources who do not use S4B, but do use just the normal Skype. Skype and S4B can talk to each other, but as far as I know, Teams cannot talk to regular Skype.

• Nikolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Suphatra: thanks for taking our suggestions seriously.

To answer your question, we would hyper-happily use only Teams, if teams did everything Skype for Business does (or hopefully more).

For our team, the main features would be Chat / calls / videoconference / screen sharing with Skype + Skype fB: we cannot convince the whole world to use Teams just to collaborate with us but almost everyone does has Skype or Skype FB.

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are trying to leave Skype for Business and only use Teams. It's impossible if presence doesn't indicate a user is at their computer. Also, we must have the ability to set a status. Like "back @ 1pm". With those 2 features, we could use this exclusively.

• JetzeMellema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer a single presence view, the S4B presence is currently integrated in virtually every Microsoft collaboration product so it makes sense to see the same presence in Teams as well.

We're currently rolling out Teams in our organisation as a pilot and this was the first feedback we received from almost every user.

• Michael Stakounis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the option not to have s4b and teams set the same as I use s4b for external contacts and teams for internal. But I agree that at times it would be useful that if I choose for them to be the same, I will only have to update one and not both. They should definitely both show away or busy according to business hours and appointments in my 365 calendar, unless manually overode.

• John Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should have same presence. I have Skype for Business running on my desktop PC in the office, on my Windows 10 phone, and my computer at home. No matter where I am, I can update my presence as I want my colleagues to see it, or let Outlook update accordingly. Teams should follow suit.

+1 for machine based activity. As a member of a distributed, I cannot afford to be marked as "Away" just because Teams does not have focus.

Please please synchronize it. S4B is not loved by most - and we need one tool to rule them all.

• Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"What is more important to you, having the presence be different (i.e. reflect your machine activity and not just your Teams activity) or having it be synchronous to Skype for Business?"

-- If Teams based it's presence off of machine activity then by nature it would be synchronized to S4B. Teams should be capable of being the only in house chat platform in an org. Those who have both only seem to do so because of the missing features that are slowly being implemented.

Why are you using Skype for Business and Teams at the same time? (I’m not being facetious, this is an actual user research question so I can understand your use case/scenario.)

--I've migrated all users off of Skype and over to Teams. There are alot of complaints currently with screen sharing, presence settings, and some other S4B features that aren't present - however this platform is fine for our 100+ employee organization.

• Greg Besso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMO Skype for Business and Teams (and any other Microsoft product) should use one "single version of the truth" presence setting.

Am only starting to use Teams but reasons to still use SfB / Lync client is access to enteprise voice / unified messaging features (including response groups, etc).

I hope the long term plan is to bake 100% of the features from existing (PC) client of Lync/SfB so that Teams client can be the only client needed (except for Outlook of course).

Feedback and Knowledge Base