or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminWarren (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Good news. The feature, Unified Presence (aka same presence as Skype for business) is rolling out.

The feature update has started rolling out to customers.
    PLEASE NOTE: Not everyone will receive the update at the same time.

You can read more about the March releases on the Teams Blog – https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/What-s-new-in-Microsoft-Teams-April-update/ba-p/179801

Thank you very much for all your feedback.
    -Warren

521 comments

Comments are closed
    • Justyn Davidson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Unified Presence" between the two clients is not the genesis of this issue. Making Teams presence work the same as S4B is the issue. My team does not have Skype, nor will they ever have it, but we do have Teams. Zero value in making the two clients work together if Teams will not work correctly on its own. I think the MS business analysts are lost on this issue and the critical importance it has. We have been on Teams since the summer but can't use it to accurately identify if a teammate is online. Sad.

The application isn't worth its weight in bytes if the basic elements of communication and collaboration are broken. You're really missing the mark.

• Andreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The following is now under launched in the roadmap but clearly this is not completed yet as my S4B and Teams clients do not have the same status at all:

Microsoft Teams - Unified Presence
      This is one of the SfB messaging capabilities coming to Teams that supports unified presence between Teams and Skype for Business.
      https://products.office.com/en-us/business/office-365-roadmap?featureid=24191

• Jon DeGroot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with everyone below. Teams needs to show me available based on my activity on the computer not within Teams. I'm not interested if a user recently messaged someone in teams. I'm interested if they are at their computer and will respond.

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly. "Unified presence" isn't really what this issue is about. It's about making Teams presence actually useful/helpful in the real world. If I'm working at my computer, my presence should be set to Available unless I change it... just like SfB. Make presence work well. That's it. That's what we've been asking for for almost 1 year now.

• BPenney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. There has been multiple times I have been on PTO and since most people use chat based communications in my environment they dont even email.

If integration between Outlook cannot be done (which wouldnt make sense if it couldnt be done). At least add an option in teams to put PTO next to your name or some sort of presence option.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The main issue isn't being addressed. Teams needs to auto-update the presence based upon whether you are active on the computer, just like SFB did. If someone hasn't moved their mouse in 10 minutes it should go to idle status etc.

• Jason Crabtree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm going to pile on with the recent comments since the last admin response has me scared that the core issue isn't being addressed. The main app-breaking issue is that the status should reflect if the user is active on the machine, not in the app.

• Wills commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is HIGH PRIORITY for our company and if it takes too long to implement, we will need to change IM software.

• epictech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When someone sends you a message to SfB client, can it be automatically forwarded into Teams too? - Save having to clients running on your Desktop/Mobile Device

• DI MARIO Nadine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, great news. Could you please confirm when this will be implemented ? We are Nov 29 and unfortunately no link between status in SfB and Teams. Thanks for your help.

skype for business shows wrong logout days when it is only 24hrs. (it show offline for 52days , 95 days once logout for the day.)
      This bug has to be corrected.

Unified presence is a great objective but use the changes to thoroughly rethink the concept across Teams SfB (as its features populate teams) and Outlook. A single event in Outlook could include difference presence phases. A simple example. I need to block off a chunk of time for a meeting but I will also be driving there I don't want to have to create 5 difference events for - driving there, meeting - lunch break - meeting - driving back. I might only want to be busy during the first meeting, available during lunch, and do not disturb while driving. Also the ability to quickly set up a status with a timer. I have got an ad hoc discussion. I am not available to talk right now but I think I will be in 15 minutes allow me to show that on my calendar with the minimum clicks and / or using Cortana. In short deeply think through the whole issue of how real life availability works in a modern workplace and make presence / status reflect real life. One final point - current ETA from Bing maps plus some configurable buffer - updating calendar so that my presence stays do not disturb until I have arrived when I am driving.

• JW Walton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Warren, this feels like a step in the right direction. Like several others, I would like to point out that most users I talk to want the "Available" presence to automatically show (assuming it hasn't been manually set to something else) when working on a computer and they don't have an Exchange meeting or are not on a SfB or Teams conference call. In other words, Teams should not show someone as "Away" just because they are not interacting with the Teams client. Or put yet another way, the presence logic for Teams should follow the logic pattern of SfB.

Is this really the best solution, the one we were all waiting for? Why not just use the same logic as that currently in S4B - it works.

What's important is that the Teams status is set in the same way as in SfB, i.e it reflects my activity on my machine (not if I am active in the Teams app). Synchronising with SfB seems unnecessary if the same logic is used for both apps. SfB is something we want to move away from anyway in favour of Teams.

@Warren please let us know if your changes to Teams will also not require it to be in the foreground to consider you Green / Active. That is a massive problem and a barrier to adoption at my company and it looks like many other companies.....

Feedback and Knowledge Base