How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

22,506 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We acknowledge the customer demand for Private Channels and have been hard at work on it. Private Channels is currently in preview with a select group of customers. We expect to release the feature to the public later this Fall, and will update here when we are starting to roll out to all customers. We appreciate all the feedback you have provided to us on this forum and thank you for your patience.

~Alex

1865 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • AJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alex, once this is available can we expect to have API calls in the MS Teams API that will allow us to programmatically create private channels?

• brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

awesome! Glad to hear that this is a feature that will be implemented soon. I'd be willing to add our enterprise environment in for testing as well!

• John Shin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this private channel feature to migrate off from slack. Please add my enterprise on the beta group if possible.

• Ishrat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to see this update from Alex on 7/3. Wish the team good luck and looking forward to its release in the fall.

• José Luis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Alex, could it be possible be part of the group of customers in preview? Best Regards

• Lonnie Swaggerty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’m understanding more and more why this is very challenging for Microsoft to implement. The whole Teams infrastructure is tied to Office 365 Groups and SharePoint file directories/sites and, currently, permissions vary based on that. There’s also the integration with Planner and I realized this week I can create additional plans for a Team by creating a separate channel for that additional plan (this is the only way I know of how to do this at this time). And now we have channel moderation going live this month, as well. I am definitely looking forward to this functionality but I need this functionality done right so, at this point, I’m willing to wait until the fall.

• Nick Boszhard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will it also be possible to only add someone to a single channel? Or will everyone have access to the entire team and channels by default, except the private channels?

It would be a nice feature if we are possible to only allow access to 1 single channel in a team.

And will it be possible to convert existing channels to private channels?

• Ashok Subedi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can somebody be when exactly my whole app is stuck waiting for this feature and also can we assign members to private channels through graph api

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fear that this feature will require an E5 license. Microsoft, please make sure that you make this feature available for all Teams licenses. This feature has the most votes because almost everyone needs it to make Teams viable for their organization.

As Jorge notes below, this is the ONE thing that is holding up full scale adoption of MS Teams by a really large group of folks clamoring for it.

• Jorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company desperately needs this. as a MS Teams evangelist, this is a point where I could not convince anyone in the office to switch to Teams.

We'll see if this is actually going to be released "later this fall", but at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if it was next year.

• Michaelt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@alex We are in the same situation as Jean-Louis, we are looking in an investment in slack enterprise grid. Is it possible for you to expand your private preview with more customers or atleast inform us when it's going to be released. I would like to avoid to go to slack.

• Jean-Louis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are at the point where we will be forced to invest in Slack Enterprise grid and not use teams, a function we are already paying for with O365. Its been important since Teams launched as yet to be released. I just have no words anymore on this, every time I engage I am told next Q, that was late 2017, its now mid 2019.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 93 94

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.