How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

22,431 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We acknowledge the customer demand for Private Channels and have been hard at work on it. Private Channels is currently in preview with a select group of customers. We expect to release the feature to the public later this Fall, and will update here when we are starting to roll out to all customers. We appreciate all the feedback you have provided to us on this forum and thank you for your patience.

~Alex

1865 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris WB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well that got a big response from the community! @Suphatra it would be good to know that this is still under consideration/in development and not just shelved based on a feature that will add confusion and complexity to our Teams setup.

To put this into context for my business (consulting) firm. I will be managing customers with projects for "management", "project specific", "team member specific"

In the current model I would need to setup teams for each of the above scope for each of my cusotmers.

Customer - Management
    - General
    - Etc etc
    Customer - Project A
    - General
    - Etc etc
    Customer - Project B
    - General
    - Etc etc
    Customer - Project C
    - General
    - Etc etc
    Customer - Team Member 1
    - General
    - Etc etc
    Customer - Team Member 2
    - General
    - Etc etc
    Customer - Team Member 3
    - General
    - Etc etc
    Customer - Team Member 4
    - General
    - Etc etc
    Customer - Team Member 5
    - General
    - Etc etc
    Customer - Team Member 6
    - General
    - Etc etc

If we had private channels I could instead simplify this relationship (and the structure in Teams) to;

Customer
    - General
    - Management
    - Project A
    - Project B
    - Project C
    - Team Member 1
    - Team Member 2
    - Team Member 3
    - Team Member 4
    - Team Member 5
    - Team Member 6

Chris

• D.K. Stepanko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private channels are the main holdup for us moving away from Slack and to Teams.

For our Teams, we have a need for private channels that are limited to specifics users of the team (Managers, Senior Technicians) who want to be able to have discussions along with sharing documents (ideally) between themselves without there being a general consumption amongst the remainder of the users.

• Erik Schonsett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the ability to have someone who is not a part of my larger team be able to join and participate in a single channel that is a part of my larger team. This is something that we used a lot in ASANA and are having a hard time with in Teams.

• Luke Sipple commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From a permissions standpoint... I hate that you cannot create channels under a team with it's own permissions. For example: all of IT may be invited to a team, but specific teams under it should be able to lock down channels.

If we want to mirror/replace our Slack setup, we'd need like 100 teams versus teams broken down into channels.

• Sean Fitzgerald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to be able to have everyone under one Team but limit certain people from being able to use certain channels. Basically, private channels under a public Team.

• Bas de Wit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We still need private channels. When using a team for a project it is possible that not all team members should be authorized to see all information. For example a project team has a Sales Team, an Engineering Team, a Realization Team, ...

• Kirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that there is still a need for the ability to control access to a channel to a subset of those who are in the parent team. We may wish to have a private Team but within that large team there are sub teams who collaborate in scenarios where they need to keep their activity private from the wider team. Please consider implementing this instead of simply suggesting we create multiple Teams and increase the proliferation of groups/sites within our O365 environment.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The terminology here is confusing... Does "Public" mean Public within the company or Public to the world? I assume to the company but I've seen other mentions of external users as well. If this is the route Microsoft chooses to go (I disagree with this and think Chats should be joinable if configured that way) then this needs to be more tightly defined and controlled for internal/external.

• Trent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still need private channels, private teams is not the way to handle this. We have controlled team creation.

• Kamil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private teams is not the answer. There is a situation when you want to add one/few person only to one channel for consulting and leave other channel as confidential from his eyes. To do ne team for that, and moving files, Tabs, conversation (what is not possible to do) is not a solution.

Private channel is the answer for this need.

• Zach Reliford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh and in response to your Try This Instead: We are setup for a singular team, rather than people being members of multiple teams, as different Analysts have different accounts they work.

• Zach Reliford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We support multiple different accounts, many with "trade secrets" discussed within chat as we are diagnosing/troubleshooting issues, as well as relaying high/critical priority tickets/issues.

I can view information for any account that is in our Team, despite not having clearance to see these items. This could be considered an issue from a customer perspective.

Echoing that 'try this instead' is not a viable solution.

Please enable private channels in teams... I suspect this has been put in the 'too hard basket' because of the granular permissions required for the embedded OneNote sections, document libraries etc. It'll be worth the effort.

• Jarek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have asked for Private Channels not Private Teams.
    It is big difference.
    Many of us waiting for the Private Channels and the brakes many of us to start using Team fully.

Try this instead is not an option. Absence of private channels is a huge barrier for using Teams in our unit. Project teams would be quite unhappy that anyone in the organisation can have access to their chat at any time. Creating a team for each project is not an option either, as with short-term projects our SharePoint space will turn into complete mess quite quickly.
    Beside, all alternatives products allow private channels.

• Sheldon Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it that you have shelved the plan for private channels? If so then it would be valuable to explicitly say this and not the vague "try this instead" tag. Fundamentally, though, this option would not work in our context. The option of having a global team that allows for some level of segmentation is extremely valuable and provides great utility. Your continued work on this would be appreciated.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.