How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

22,506 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We acknowledge the customer demand for Private Channels and have been hard at work on it. Private Channels is currently in preview with a select group of customers. We expect to release the feature to the public later this Fall, and will update here when we are starting to roll out to all customers. We appreciate all the feedback you have provided to us on this forum and thank you for your patience.

~Alex

1865 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add! Don't need notifications being sent to all Team members. only members on the channel

• Ross Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes lack of private channels or even specific notification lists for a channel is a big oversight.

• José Luis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where can I find more specific information about Teams implementation in Hybrid environments!
    The information on support.office.com is not enough or I can not find it.

• Hassane Sané commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a response to Dave Upton, if you contribute to this thread, you should have received an e-mail in your mailbox about this survey. But I understand that the short period of time for assessing the survey is clearly not enough.

• Dave Upton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be curious to know how many responded to the survey since it looks like it was only open for a day? if you blinked, like i did, you missed it.

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would mean an additional 2000 users in my company, The ability to have a team for a whole region but then having channels that only some people can see is exactly what is stopping our retail estate from moving to teams from slack.

• Hassane Sané commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Survey done! I agree with Mike and the last comment: team owners should be able to see everything within the team, whether the channel is standard or private. If you don't want someone to see a particular channel, that means that this person does not need the owner status and therefore, you should switch his/her status to "member". That is just my opinion.

Survey submitted. My understanding about the confusing part Ed mentioned was that private channels' conversations and files are always private for regular users, but the question was about channels' team owners: should all of them, had they been added to the channel or not, be able to view private channels' files in Teams or only outside it. E.g. in my organization, team owners should be able to follow all conversations and view files in all of their team's channels, private or not. If more privacy is needed, you can create a private team.

• ed hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Done! I sincerely hope private channels bear no resemblance to what was proposed in that survey. Unless I misread it about 10 times, the only thing private is the chat. Everything else is accessable via Sharepoint or other sites (planner, etc)

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That survey was a bit odd. Team Owners are like managers and should be able to see all the channels (private or public) within their team. Only Members would need to be restricted from seeing a private channel. An Owner could just give themselves permissions to see the channel if they needed to...

We need this for our areas so the Managers of a department can have a private channel to discuss confidential information, store private files, etc.

• Brendan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Migrating from slack to MS Teams is definitely a step backwards without this feature.

Please let us know when this feature is ready. We need this in our implementation of Microsoft Team Channels at our corporation especially with program sponsorship.

• robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is desperately needed for larger environments. Feature should have been implemented on day one.

• Sean Carver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please let us know when this is available - hopefully soon! We're just trying to migrate users to Teams, and this is the most requested things; it hurts my team to tell our users "no, it can't do that". And most of our staff aren't even prior Slack users, so I hope they don't find out another product actually offers this. Come on Microsoft, I really want to root for you guys here.

• Somar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So,ex> maybe 4 King lived irland,maybe. National move [Moris] {Fullmonty} is want to opinion to rating. Sociallegal,action. maybe,and<FAKE

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.