How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

18,459 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1573 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Accuraty / Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These "uservoice" votes and comments do NOT adequately represent the gravity of the shortfall here.

Microsoft, Under Review and "Working on it!" are not enough. What is the plan and the roadmap here? We need commitment and dates, yesterday.

• Dale Renaud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Welcome to the 21st century, we need to have restricted conversations within teams. Working on migrating off of slack and hit this huge gaping hole of a permissions structure in Microsoft Teams product. Even more shocking, groups cannot be made a member of a Team as it currently stands so members must be added manually. Group permissions have been around for decades, it is utterly baffling the lack of oversight for the development of this product.
        Requirements:
        1.)Teams must allow both groups and users to be owners and/or members
        2.)Conversations must have permissions
        3.)Conversations must allow the removal of or the overriding of inherited permissions from the team
        4.)Conversations must allow both groups and users to be owners and/or members

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To add to the conversation or reiterate certain points:

Our organization would like to create separate Channels within a group with dedicated personnel assigned to it. These assigned people would be able to receive communication directed specifically to the channel while avoiding communication sent to other (non-General) channels. For example:

Group: Business Development (100 users)
        Channel: General (100 users)
        Channel: Outreach (25 users)
        Channel: Research (25 users)
        Channel: Product Owners (50 users)

We would need Group owners to be able to report who is in each channel and control/view who is following specific channels as well as hide channels that users do not belong to when necessary

Teacher at a school... so far I have the following teams despite being part of the one 'school team'.

Middle Leaders Team
        Curriculum Leaders Team
        HPE Department Team
        English Department Team
        Maths Department Team
        Year 8 Pastoral Team
        Learning with Technology Team
        Fete Committee Team

And then all my classes...
        Year 7 Maths Team
        Year 8 Maths Team
        Year 7 English Team
        Year 7 Computer Science Team
        Year 9 Maths Team
        Year 9 EnglishTeam

• Hiep Tran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have 10 people working on a project, so we create a Private team and add that 10 people.
        But there are parts and phases of the project that only several people work on, and those work-in-progress should not be seen by the whole team.
        We would love to have that function to create a private Channel, NOT private Team.

• PeterJP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Private channels is an absolute necessity since the current option to create private teams for all comms preferred not to be shared means multiple groups for all business areas, which wil become extremely tiresome. Good to hear this is being worked on and hopefully soon to be delivered. Thankyou

Rumour has it, this is coming THIS summer! Woo! Thanks @Suphatra for getting this happening.

Our team would also greatly benefit from private channels. We have had to create a separate private Team to work around this issue.

• Wusa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What might be the state of "private/public"-channels? Our company has begin to use Teams and and we would love to use this property.

You can permission folders through SharePoint?

This shouldn't be too much of a stretch, right?

• Mario C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't know this was "a thing." I have very little exposure to Slack, so I can't compare features like many commenters.

As Steven Hibble said, one of the most difficult challenges would be how to segregate documents from users who are not invited to the Private channel. If Teams app would create whole new Doc Libraries in the site, that may be a way. However, since it just creates a channel folder in the site's main Doc Library, then how do you lock out people from that folder?

• Etienne Bailly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To my mind we should be able to put for exemple 10 members in a Team and on a specific Channel to reduce audience : to chose some users from this 10 members

My Financial Team = 10 users
        Channel General = 10 users
        Channel VIP Finance = 3 users

I have people that only need to access an unique channel, and they don't need information about all post from other channel. When you have large teams this option is important,

I was asked by a owner of a private team if they can add a public channel. They would like to add a Support Channel in their private team versus having to create a new Support Team.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without the ability to restrict access channels within Teams this tool is functionally useless. I have a lot of experience working in completely flat organizations but there is an absolute requirement to be able to bin information within a team. I'm actually looking at other non-Microsoft products because of this gaping capabilities gap. The fact that the team building this product cannot understand the criticality of this feature calls into question they testing and market research they have done on this. I'd be happy to discuss this with any of the devs or PMs who work this product.

We need to be able to put members from different areas of a company [channels] and allow them to collaborate with the entire team on one channel as well as with certain members on other channels. Right now it only seems that chats operate this way and changing SharePoint permissions via each folder [channel] with in the Document library. Rather control at the channel level security items then allow SharePoint to control site permissions if needed.
        This will help with outlining how a Team [channels] are put together.

• Thomas Connery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A private or public team may require channels that have unique permissions. That's what is needed. The ability for a channel to disconnect inherited permissions from the team level where the team admin(s) can control these channel permissions separately.

Feedback and Knowledge Base