How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Support for Private Channels

Looking for the ability to create a channel that only channel members can see. Private channels are available in slack. There is an admin for private channels who is the creator, and they are the ones who add/remove users.

Five types of public/privacy that is being asked for by users:

- Public-Open (visible anywhere including outside the org and anyone can join)
- Public-Invitation (visible anywhere including outside the org, must be invited)
- Company-Open (only visible inside the org and anyone in the org can join; outside the org must be invited)
- Company-Invitation (only visible inside the org, must be invited)
- Secret (invisible to everyone except existing members, must be invited)

14,106 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Microsoft Teams users — I want you to weigh in on new features around channels and group chats. The engineering team and I have put together this survey to find out how you want to see channels improve. You can fill it out here: https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_esTxHdABLQxKLvn

And I’m still waiting on approval to get you a good update about Private Channels. I can say that we ARE working on it, fervently.

Thanks and ping me any time, for anything at all: www.twitter.com/skprufo or sparavi@microsoft.com. I’m a little behind on email but catching up, so apologies for delays there!

Suphatra

1209 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Arden Shackelford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't wait for this to be released! We're not even using this fully in my department, but this is a feature that is heavily requested!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make Channels private and only accessible by invite. A Project Team doesn't need to view what each channel 'team' is doing. For example, the developers don't need to see the conversation by the QA team. They are both part of the General Project Team, but channels could be used as 'sub-teams'.

• Henrik Nordtorp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surprisingly few people voting in here! This is crucial to making Teams an enterprise solution and ensure only selected set of people has access to content

• Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awesome, thanks Suphatra! I'm looking forward to this feature. Also, thank you for providing consistent updates on this product.

• Beau P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I noticed now you can make "Teams" public or private, but you can't make "Channels" public or private. Is this supposed to be this way or is public/private channels still on its way?

• Haley Engle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Within a team be able to edit permissions to each channel for the team members that channel apply to.

• Giulio Vannini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually enabling chats with end-to-end encryption using RMS digital rights would give TEAMS a very strong competitive advantage for positioning on confidential executive chats.
        Chats that nobody can read other than the addressses would be a powerful compliance feature

• jeffwllms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really hope this come. Having a bunch of teams with just a general channel is annoying. Setting this up now the way we want it knowing this is in the works. So far we actually have found it isn't so important for teams to not be able to see the project groups they are not specifically on. We actually just received benefit from the fact someone who wasn't assigned to a project checked the channel out and was able to help.

We still need it for the board groups. Because some board committee are private from the entire board. (Governing committee for example). But actually finding this feature is less important than we originally thought.

We like our development team to have access to the Architecture Group but we will like to have a private channel for sharing draft documents between architects.

• Nick Milner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a services team who works on multiple projects so I'd like a channel per project plus a couple of general channels. I don't want every team member in every channel because there could be sensitive material shared, and I'd also like the ability to add customers to their project channels. Right now I have many teams with one channel in each which makes the concept of channels redundant. Thanks.

• Jaap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is especially needed when externals work on our projects. We created a team for every customer, and a channel per project with that customer. I don't want another external digging in another project, even though it is within the same customer.

Add ability to create a new channel within a team but make it confidential between specific team members.

• Matt Coyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very much a needed feature. Otherwise we are going to have to create a different Team for each group. We will be creating several Teams when all we need is one.

Feedback and Knowledge Base